Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The clutch is starting to slip. Anyone know of a good shop in Northern Virginia? What price range should I expect? I'm also inclined to do the work myself and want to ping the gang here:

-I have access to an auto hobby shop in Quantico Va that has professional lifts, tools, etc.
-If I do this myself, I'd like to put in the best possible clutch for the money
-What else should I do while I am replacing the clutch?
-Any other bits of advice?

Warm regards!

Ray
I can't speak to how much labor costs, but it seems like a new clutch kit is around $300-$400. If it were me, I would strongly think about installing a new RMS and the LN IMS update. I did that before my motor swap, and the piece of mind is well worth it.
If it hasn't been changed out yet I would check and change out the flywheel. Clutch, flywheel and IMS/RMS kit (not Raby) ran about $1200 in parts. A good shop (not a dealer) will charge you about the same for the labor.
An "IMS kit not Raby". Jake uses a LNengineering part.

I'm aware of 3, Hartach in the UK, LN and Pelican (not available yet). Pictures of a Spanish fellow's IMS design were pretty well debunked on the net as being just CAD drawings. Never seen any others.

So what did you use?
When I decided to lower the tranny on my car...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 10:52:28 am
... it had 197,000 miles and I replaced:

Clutch -- Sachs
IMS Bearing -- LN Engineering
RMS -- Porsche

In my case the flywheel also had to be replaced because the elastometer was damaged due to the long standing leak from the RMS.
Your flywheel may be fine.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login