Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Oil Leak?
gregsterInMO - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 11:41:56 am
Hi All,

I bought my 2002 base about 3 months ago. I have driven it right at 3,000 miles since. This morning I pulled it out of the garage and noticed about 6 to 7 small oil drips (seem to be single drips) under where the motor had been.

Unitl today, nothing in the floor. Car has been a pleasure for sure..

I purchased the care from my local Porsche dealer, but no warranty etc... Car now has 53,000 on it..

IF this is the RMS causing this, what can I expect to pay for repair? Any idea at all?? Should the dealer help on this repair?

Thanks for any advice.
Any engine
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 12:41:44 pm
can leak any of several fluids from any number of places.

What I suggest is you put some newspapers (remember what they are?) and see if it drips tonight. Do some measurements and see if you can figure out where on the car/engine the drips are dropping from. That will give a clue. Left side, right side, center? Rear of engine where it meets trans? What color? Are we sure it is oil?

What does the dipstick tell you? What does the anti-freeze in the expansion tank in the trunk look like?

If you have the ability, get the car up in the air and take a picture and post here. Many have seen drips before and what they looked like from underneath and can give a suggestion.

Dealer help? No idea what sort of guarantee the dealer offered you. You can plead and ask for a break but it is an 8 year old car with 53k on it so no manufacturer's warranty.
let's assume that its RMS.
grant - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 10:33:54 am
it may not, btu it is a common leak. RMS leaks from bottom of bellhousing. Center.

A few drops wont make a bit of difference to your oil level. Unless it gushes.
Also unless it gushes, it does no other damage - so ignore it, unless it really "bothers" you.

It *could* also be an IMS leaking. That would be a very bad sign, but, from what i've heard, its also really rare to have visible leakage from IMS (visible with tranny in car i mean).

I would not expect a dealer to do much about it off warranty. But if they *do*, see if they will repalce your IMS while they are in there for parts plus incremental labor! They are next door!

Grant
An RMS leak should not be neglected...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 10:48:54 am
... because after time, oil on the flywheel will damage the dual ma$$ elastometer.

If the IMS bearing is leaking, which is the worst scenario, the oil will have a rotten smell.
If it smells like oil, or doesn't have a discernible odor, most likely it'll be the RMS and the leak will be visible under the center of the engine right at the bell housing's lowest point.

It could look somewaht like this:
[i83.photobucket.com]

To replace the RMS (it's a $20 part) it requires that the tech drop the transmission and remove the clutch and flywheel, exposing the RMS and IMS bearing housing.
At this point people generally replace the RMS and do the IMS bearing retrofit, check the flywheel and replace the clutch.
Most of the cost is labor.
Check with your dealer or independent tech if they have installed the IMS bearing retrofits and to give you an estimate for the complete job.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login