Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
101 projects for your boxster
Alcantera - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 9:02:12 pm
Chapters called tonight my copy of Wayne Dempsey's book is in, just got home and after a brief looky look i would say its a must have. very well done!! and if you are reading this Wayne two thumbs up the finger smiley
Wayne did a great job...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 11:12:48 pm
... in putting together the book.
I know he worked on it for over 3 years.
When you get a chance, check out pages 216 and 217 winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Nice contribution, Pedro thumbs up *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 11 January, 2011, at 11:15:32 am
well, yes and no.
grant - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 10:28:53 am
It is a worthwhile book, lots of useful projects and info, but it has many glaring omissions. For example, the instructions on the motor mount begin with the coolant hoses removed, the various plastic trim plates removed, and the car on a stand. Even in the pics. This neglects about 60% of both the time and the usual detail questions along the line.

So i plan to buy it ( thought i was on the call list actually!) - but beware the gaps! Don't start a big job thinking it will tell you all you need to know.

ps: to ?? below, it uses a 2003 example car. (986)

Grant
Thanks *NM*
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 6:20:22 pm
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: well, yes and no.
DFW02S - Saturday, 15 January, 2011, at 2:08:18 pm
LOL! A fair point about the motor mount job. I wish that I'd read this post 3 hours ago.
I got under there a couple of hours ago and looked at the water pump and hoses in the way and thought up half a dozen excuses why I will pay someone to do it!
Is it for a 986 or 987? *NM*
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Tuesday, 11 January, 2011, at 7:21:47 pm
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: 101 projects for your boxster
Stephen Tinker in Australia..... - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 6:33:05 pm
Grant - Wayne indicates in his preamble that his book is really not a complete stand alone item and should be read as an addition with the Bentleys Manual, Porsche handbooks, etc.
I was reading up on my next project (water pump replacement) and it starts by saying to pull off the radiator hose - nothing about draining the system.So you have to refer back to a couple of previous chapters regarding coolant removal. No biggie as far as I'm concerned as I tend to read the instructions a few of times (I'm a bit slow) before I even pick up a spanner.
The Bentley Manual also leaves a lot to be desired too, as with a lot of DIY books you are sometimes left scratching your head halfway into a repair because the proof reader has labelled a picture with the wrong description or assumes you know more than you do.
I think for the money, 101 Projects is a brilliant buy - even if its just for the coloured pictures which makes life so much easier if you can recognise what you are looking for.
At less then $50 delivered here to Australia, it gets a 10/10 for me
Alcantera - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 7:29:11 pm
Steve it has lots of nice colored pictures, not playboy nice but nice . there is some weird stuff around page 217 some guy installing a ROO bar under the car. I'm sure you will rate it 12/10the finger smiley
Stephen Tinker in Australia..... - Thursday, 13 January, 2011, at 4:10:03 am
You call that a ROO bar - more like a mouse bar, invented by someone in Florida......
I thought it was more like the GREAT BARrier winking smiley ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 13 January, 2011, at 9:05:49 am
... hope you're staying high and dry Steve.
Our thoughts and prayers are with y' all Down Under.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
As i said, its a worthwhile buy. I just wish....
grant - Thursday, 13 January, 2011, at 8:08:42 pm
..it started at the beginning more often :-)

Almost all the book is actually up on the PP website as individual projects.

Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login