Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Just wanted to make sure I'm not installing the wrong pad model... the previous set dont seem to have all the extra height on the backing plate and those silver cylindrical metal thingys (yeah, awesome how technical I am, right?). Oh, these are Hawk HPS, btw.

Just wanted to check and make sure before I put all the pins and stuff back in... there's now a lot of crap sticking out the top of the calipers that wasn't there before :-)

And for those curious, I decided to stay with the Hawks because of the pad deposition on the rotors (which I already have becuase of the previous set) that Grant has graciously explained here a few times. Tell me I'm not crazy on these pads, and I'll finish the job.

... and i know the S and non-S are different..

The best is to check the actual fitment. The fact that you have some of the protrusions at the top, so long as they are still snug under the retaining spring, should have no effect. But make sure that they are truly tight. for example, you can put the rears in the front --- but bad things happen and uneven deposits - plus shifting and grabbing, result.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2013 04:29PM by grant. (view changes)
Thanks... here's what
The Voxster ('03S, In-A-Band Jose) - Sunday, 14 July, 2013, at 6:46:20 pm
they look like installed. Fitment seems factory tight to me... meaning hard, positive contact at the ends of pad insertion travel, no apparent wobble once in position, either front or rear. Just tall shit sticking out the top of the fronts (rears don't have these etra bits.(What are they, anyway...?) I Did the whole car.

Looks fine to me. *NM*
grant - Sunday, 14 July, 2013, at 6:59:51 pm
Grant

Re: Thanks... here's what
986rgt - Sunday, 14 July, 2013, at 8:19:53 pm
They look like to me maybe they are a company "extra" maybe for helping to extract the old pads or maybe for something to help spread the pads out? Anyhow, as long as the fit feels right and the pad outline is the same as stock, you should be fine.

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Re: Thanks... here's what
The Voxster ('03S, In-A-Band Jose) - Sunday, 14 July, 2013, at 8:35:07 pm
Just checked out various Boxster S pads on Pelican's site. The ones from Textar (and a few others) match the profile shape and style of the HPS I just installed. Their note:

"NOTE: Backing plate with larger mass and balance weights added, Boxster S (2000-04)"

"Larger mass" = taller than the prevkous versions, "Balance weights" = the "silver cylindrical metal thingys" I mentioned earlier. Haha Just seems like unnecessary unsprung weight to me, but is what it is.

Bottom line: I'm confident these are just fine, and as they should be. Also confident I've installed them correctly. Now to bed them in.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Don't know if they're foreign made, but "balance" might be an inadequate translation of something having to do with what my conjecture is.
it will keep the pad material cooler and act as a heat barrier between it and the brake fluid.

MAss in brake systems is a two-edged sword. More is better for heat capacity, but bad for wheel contorl, ride, wear, etc.

Grant

Grant

Heat would be the primary concern, too. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 15 July, 2013, at 9:33:40 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login