Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
What do these items have in common?........
Harvey in FL - Tuesday, 11 January, 2011, at 9:11:10 pm

"The rest of the story"...... I had permagrine doing my first DE @ Sebring this past November.

Fast reverse to October 2010. To make sure I get expert advice I checked with the doctor. Dr. Pedro said to check my brake thickness and change my brake fluid....that's all I need to do since I will not be going over 140mph. I asked about better brake shoes and my Toyo R888 tires I use for autoxing. He said....I told you....you will not be going over 140mph and there's no need to go any faster because you don't know Sebring and what the h_ ll you are doing with that 997. So, off I go to the Sebring for my first DE with my Bridgestone street tires.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. My first autox with PCA Suncoast Region, and I need to change my street tires to my R888's. While doing the tire exchange, I noticed a lot of the street tire groves were now filled with Sebring R compound rubber junk from the faster pcars. It was impossible to remove the rubber with a screw driver. Placed a call to Bridgestone... race guy said it no big deal as long as the center groves which remove water are clean. He said if I wanted to remove the rubber from the other groves then I need the item in my pic. Glad I'm retired to have lots of time to play with my toys and make them loooook good.
So they got hot enough to pick up the rubber? Or was it just wedged in there?

Did you know our rubber tires on average use only 14% real rubber and there is a world wide shortage...so bad that tire companies are sponsoring the planting of thousands of trees!
You picked up all that rubber because...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 9:52:06 am
... you probably went off line on the cool-down lap.
A lot of guys are using their R compounds to do DEs which leave a lot of sticky rubber "marbles" just off the driving line.
If you come off the line your tires which are also hot will pick up a lot of these marbles.
Street tires don't get as hot or as sticky as the "R" compound tires, so it's relatively easy to clean them off by re-heating and scraping them off.
When's your next DE Harvey?
Have you signed up for the AX at the 48 Hrs?
[www.48hoursatsebring.com]
Hope to see you there. It's a lot of fun and you get to run with a different group since we get people from Gold Coast, Sun Coast, Everglades, Space Coast, etc.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro...you have mail *NM*
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 11:20:35 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login