Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
CURVEN8R 2 headed home
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 25 July, 2013, at 11:56:32 pm
Well, after another night counting endless sheep, it was finally time to pick up CURVEN8R 2.

Picked up my wife at lunch and headed to the dealer.

After finishing with the paper work, the salesman gave me the grand tour of the CURVEN8R 2, fitted the blue teeth to my phone and car system and we were off. Having enough time, we decided to take a short 150 mile drive to enjoy a tube steak by the shore. Great roads for breaking in a new car.

First lesson: the sports exhaust really plays havoc with gas mileage for some reason. winking smiley You just want to get the most out of it by conducting with the baton under your right foot. What a fabulous sound it brings out of the stereo speakers, The 315 members of the orchestra really bring out a fabulous version of the Symphony in Flat Six.

The Sports Suspension handles like a dream in corners and really soaks up the bumps. Even with the 20" wheels, rough roads don't feel any worse than they did in the 987. It's truly amazing what Porsche has done with the chassis. Combine that with the Sports Seats Plus and corners become even more fun, because the seats really hold you in position and they're really comfortable.

A couple of things I noticed. The digital readout seem easier to read than in the 987 when sun is shining on them. The Silver/Grey tach in the S makes the numbers hard to read as the sun is going down. They just blend in. During the day and after dark, it's easy to read.

When I parked the car in the garage and raised the roof, I notice that the side windows seem to be longer than in the 987.

Can't wait to replace the center screen with Pedro's TechNoWind. The screen really obscures your vision out the back when the sun is behind you.

Spent more time driving than taking pictures, but here are a few.

Salesman showing me where everything was in the front trunk and tech. transferring the licence plates. (You have to take out the whole yoke shaped plastic cover to get at the battery and brake fluid container.

Considerate salesman even took off his shoes while showing some of the features in the car.

CURVEN8R 2 ready to head out on the road.

Taking a break along the shore of Lake Erie.

Sounds like the perfect day smiling smiley ...... Congrats smiling smiley
Joanne in OC - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 12:23:24 am
Are you going to sleep in the garage tonight??
Joanne
Re: CURVEN8R 2 headed home
jwdbox - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 2:05:47 am
She is a stunner Guenter. Super first write up (especially on such little sleep smiling bouncing smiley ). Really nice pics as well- must have had the stabilizer on the camera to make up for your hand shake from excitement grinning smiley Enjoy CURVEN8R.2 as I know you and Michele will. cool smiley
So nice! Is that GT Silver? *NM*
Bobtesa - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 9:58:24 am
GT Silver it is. cool smiley *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 3:02:49 pm
The color is stunning , Guenter--good choice
MikenOH - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 10:00:37 am
+1 on the stock wind blocker; I took it out after delivery and haven't put it back in.

Funny thing about the correlation between PSE usage and gas mileage..winking smiley Once you get used to hearing that exhaust it's hard not to keep putting your foot down.
BTW, since radar detectors are illegal in Canada--how do you avoid tickets in a car like this without any gizmos? I have used WAZE running on a smart phone--as well as radar detectors-- which does a good job of mapping where the cops are, if the traffic is heavy with fellow WAZE users.
db997S - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 10:33:14 am
Those 20" wheels really fill up the wells. Car looks really low, particularly in that last shot, which is really a great photo. No wonder you took the long way home. Seems like a perfect Boxster day.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 3:35:48 pm
db997S
Those 20" wheels really fill up the wells. Car looks really low, particularly in that last shot, which is really a great photo. No wonder you took the long way home. Seems like a perfect Boxster day.

CURVEN8R 2 has the Sports Suspension which lowers the car by 20mm (about 3/4" ) . It's amazing how compliant the ride is on rough roads with the lowered suspension and 20" wheels. The Sports Plus seats really hug you in the corners and they're really comfortable too. My wife loved them the first time she sat in them.

Yup. It was a perfect Boxster day. Took it along some nice 2 lane roads with stops, slow down for little towns, some curves and of course some faster sections. grinning smiley IMO the best type of roads to break in a new car - vary the engine speeds and a chance to do some shifting.

Speaking of shifting. I find the shift throws about 1/2 between my 987 stock shifter and the B&M short shift I installed. Right from the first shift, I noticed just how smooth the new shifter is. Just have to get used to it sitting up a bit higher than in the 987.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 03:42PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Some time ago i believe i raved on how well a student's car performed in Auto-X (cayman S). and yest, it rode acceptably even in Sport Plus. Saturday i drove the Cayman S (among others) at Monticello Motor Club and again, it was controlled but forgiving and not harsh. Curbs did not upset it.

The 981s are pretty awesome cars.

I also really like the silver on German roadsters - they look good, but also the historical connection.

here's to another 15 year relationship, Gunther!

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
Some time ago i believe i raved on how well a student's car performed in Auto-X (cayman S). and yest, it rode acceptably even in Sport Plus. Saturday i drove the Cayman S (among others) at Monticello Motor Club and again, it was controlled but forgiving and not harsh. Curbs did not upset it.

The 981s are pretty awesome cars.

I also really like the silver on German roadsters - they look good, but also the historical connection.

here's to another 15 year relationship, Gunther!

Grant

Thanks Grant, after this weekend, I'm loving this car more than ever (well, OK, it's only been 3 days. smiling smiley )

Interestingly, at this point, the Sports Suspension is not available on the Cayman. PASM is of course.
CONGRATULATIONS!
Laz - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 10:37:31 am
It's quite something that the sales guy took off his shoes, another example of Canadian consideration, yes?
The color has amazing richness.
Bon Chance et Bon Voyage(s)!
Absolutely stunning!
jg wnc - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 1:12:50 pm
When are you going to ditch the amber side markers?
Re: Absolutely stunning!
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 3:41:10 pm
jg atl
When are you going to ditch the amber side markers?

As soon as they get some clear markers in. They were out of stock. eye rolling smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
PSE gas mileage
Bobtesa - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 4:03:13 pm
How do you know the PSE is reducing gas mileage? Sure, limiting exhaust can effect engine performance (and hence mileage), but PSE is simply there to provide better sound. Is it backing things up to generate sound? Wouldn't you also then feel a slight lack of performance in power so something?

Do the newer cars come with some kind of miles per gallon reading? Is so, I wonder if the interaction of pse and that function is simply an introduction in some strange way of error in the mileage calculation.
Re: PSE gas mileage
jwdbox - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 7:38:49 pm
Bobtesa
How do you know the PSE is reducing gas mileage? Sure, limiting exhaust can effect engine performance (and hence mileage), but PSE is simply there to provide better sound. Is it backing things up to generate sound? Wouldn't you also then feel a slight lack of performance in power so something?

Do the newer cars come with some kind of miles per gallon reading? Is so, I wonder if the interaction of pse and that function is simply an introduction in some strange way of error in the mileage calculation.
I am pretty sure Gman's statement was tongue in cheek. SilverBox certainly also suffered a continuous hit from engaging the PSE since it is an absolute requirementwinking smileywinking smiley to heavily use the gas peddle to enjoy the enhanced symphony in flat 6 followed by rapid lift off of the accelerator so you could enjoy the pops and gurgles from the PSE. cool smiley
Re: PSE gas mileage
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 9:25:41 pm
Yup! jwdbox got it absolutely right on. It's just way too much fun to conduct that Symphony in Flat Six with the right foot with all the fabulous sound coming from the main speakers.

If you love the Boxster for what it's designed, it's one option you really should get.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
A realization concerning the silver face
Laz - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 8:08:30 pm
I've previously mentioned I don't find the silver face less easy to read than black. If anything, the black faces in combination with the clear covers creates a seemingly more "mirror effect" sometimes, whereas the the silver underneath causes less "reflective contrast." Also the silver isn't too metallic, and the matte numbers help. The big realization, though, is in recalling why analog dial type gauges can inform the driver more efficiently: there isn't a delay of "intellectualizing" a digital readout, but rather a quicker sublimation because the needle is more purely visual. And it's easier to keep one's eyes on the road, because the needle only needs to be viewed peripherally. Once one develops a sense of the placement of the numerical values, reading the actual numbers is superfluous. Hey redline is pretty much at 3 o'clock. And back in the day, gauges were configured so that "optimal" readouts would be at 12 o'clock; no actual numbers necessary for conveying the necessary "information."
I completely agree with your about the analog vs digital advantages. Still, I would prefer to be able to see the actual numbers on an analog gauge. Analog gauges you can read at a glance. Digital you have to process what the number/message is telling you.
While the 987 characteristics are still fresh in your mind, it would be useful for those of us who see the possibility of a 981 in our future to get your opinion on the greatest advantages in the new car. Congrats again!

Sorry, I meant this as a reply to Guenther's original post. Is there a way to fix this?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 09:10AM by SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans). (view changes)
GT Silver's origin
Roger987 - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 10:16:54 pm
The Carrera GT, of course.

Anyone else see a resemblance?

As a neighbor with a CGT said...
Dave In MD - Saturday, 27 July, 2013, at 9:19:43 pm
when I was in my silver Boxster at an event with him...

"They're both Porsches"

Terrific Porsche, Guenter!! I love the GT silver.

smileys with beer

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Take good care of it for me
Petee_C - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 11:00:11 pm
Guenter in Ontario

I'll be interested in it in 6yrs or so,.... When you're ready to upgrade, and it will be in my price range.....

I hope you explore the red line soon, say when you're almost done the 1st tank of gas........

Congratulations,
Peter
It's gorgeous - enjoy! thumbs up *NM*
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Saturday, 27 July, 2013, at 7:36:26 am
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Congrats again!
newt - Saturday, 27 July, 2013, at 3:44:20 pm
I can hear you: "Do we need any bread honey? huh? do we? cause I can run up and go get a loaf of bread if we need any....how about milk? do we need milk?"
Re: Congrats again!
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 27 July, 2013, at 8:20:43 pm
And the best part is that the bakery with the best bread is only 50 miles from here.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login