Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Care of leather dash
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 8:22:29 pm
I use Lexol to clean and treat the leather seats. They get dirt and oil from folks sitting in them. But, what about the dash? I have used the Lexol leather conditioner, but I have never washed cleaned the dash with the Lexol cleaner. Does that sound about right or should I clean the dash leather too on occasion?

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Care of leather dash
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 9:54:14 pm
Bob, I've always used just a damp microfiber cloth to clean. Then condition with McGuires leather conditioner. I used to use Lexol, but actually prefer the McGuires for eas of use, etc.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
I used to be a fan of ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 11:35:12 pm
... Lexol, but found that it left leather surfaces sticky and prone to gathering more dust.
Now I use a damp cloth with soapy water and then follow up with a clean water cloth.
Finally I use a little baby oil on the leather as conditioner.
It's lasted over 15 years now and syill looks great.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
... it isnt all that sticky. but more importantly, it has a long history of truly protecting leather.

Its a tack product first and foremost, and decades say it works.

The others may be just as good, but they are far less proven. I have a saddle older than me.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Interesting...
Bobtesa - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 8:12:27 am
I don't think the Lexol directions say to let it sit for hours to absorb, then buff, but I'll try that on a small leather section to see how it works. It makes sense to give it time to penetrate.

As for tacky, I like that feeling on my leather steering wheel. I don't try to remove all of the extra Lexol film from the steering wheel after I apply the Lexol (as I do with the other leather in the car). This is similar to how I cleaned and treated my leather golf club grips to keep a tacky feeling. For you young'uns, yes, we used to have leather grips. Ballata wound balls. Persimmon woods. Steel shafts. Walked carrying our bag. And we walked 10 miles in the snow to get to school. How is all of that old fart stuff relevant? It's why I still love to have a 3rd pedal and do it the old fashion way. I'm such a f#*@ geezer.
Re: Interesting...
whall - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 11:12:29 am
"And we walked 10 miles in the snow to get to school."

And, up-hill both ways.......no doubt! grinning smiley

Bill
Re: Care of leather dash - NO
Eric (Plug Guy) - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 10:53:28 am
Porsche does NOT recommend conditioner or 'stuff' on the DASH leather.

It is dried/treated a different way in the factory before being installed in the dash/car, and if you start conditioning it, you may end up with trouble. Leave it alone.

Seats, fine. Doors, ok. Dash - NO. A damp (barely damp) microfiber wipe is all you need.

Leave the dash alone - the sun kills it with heat and if you start conditioning it you may be very disappointed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 06:26PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Care of leather dash - NO. Where is this information?
Bobtesa - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 10:17:06 pm
Eric, I know you are in the car business and are active on this board, so I appreciate your expertise. But, where did you learn about not treating dash leather? I got this from the Porsche website iMaual,

"Leather
Characteristics and special features
The natural surface markings of leather, e.g. creases, healed scars, insect sting marks, structural differences and slight variations in shade and grain add to the attractiveness of the natural leather product.

Observe the following care instructions:

The leather will be damaged by the use of unsuitable cleaning and care agents and by incorrect treatment.

Do not use caustic cleaners or hard cleaning aids.
Perforated leather must under no circumstances get wet on its reverse side.

Clean all types of leather regularly to remove fine dust using a soft, damp, white woollen cloth or a commercially available microfibre cloth.
Remove heavy contamination with a leather cleaner.
Always read the instructions for use given on the containers.
We recommend Porsche leather cleaner.
Treat cleaned leather only with a leather care product.
We recommend the Porsche leather care product."

It does not distinguished dash leather from other leather, And, what's the deal with not getting water on the reverse side of perforated leather UNDER DO CIRCUMSTANCES. Does it melt? Explode? Or just grow fungus, which would be pretty bad?

Bob
My take
grant - Friday, 9 August, 2013, at 8:55:20 am
Either the dash leather is completely sealed, in something that amounts to a plastic finish, or it is not.

If it is not, treat it as leather.

If it is sealed in plastic, treat i as plastic - that' what you'd be treating. Lexol wont hurt plastic, although it will make a milky mess that wipes right up.

I see no circumstance under which it could harm it.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login