Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
New immobilizer defective?
Jayusa123 - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 12:07:55 am
I just replaced my immobilizer after my last one got water damaged. The old one still allowed the car to drive, but things weren't perfect: the remote range was poor, the head/tail lights didn't flash when arming the alarm system. I've been driving the car for the last year or so with the old immobilizer; however, I decided to replace it since I knew it was broken and I am also troubleshooting O2 sensor problems and wanted to eliminate variables. About a month ago, my remote range went from short to non-existent and I had to revert to the good old "key in the lock" method. I figured the receiver in the immobilizer finally bit it and was thankful that I had a new one on the way.

So, I just replaced the immobilizer, programmed it with a PST2, transferred the remote codes from the old immobilizer to the new one and low and behold, my remote still doesn't work! I tried relearning the keys into the new immobilizer manually using my key codes without luck. The car isn't in energy saving mode and the batteries are new. I performed the resynchronization as noted in the factory service manual (turn ignition on, turn ignition off, remove key and press unlock button within 6 seconds); however, that didn't do anything.

I also noticed that the interior lights don't seem to behave as they did. When I pull the key out of the ignition, the dome light, instrument cluster lights, and door lights all go dark. Additionally, when I unlock and open the door, the lights do not illuminate; however, when I insert the key into the ignition and turn the switch to ON, the lights turn on and things start to behave normally.

Is there a setting in the immobilizer that would make the lights behave this way? Could it be that the immobilizer is defective and both of these behaviors are just symptoms of that?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Jay
and connections to/from the battery/alternator?

Any signs of dampness in the car? The floor carpets? The bottoms of the doors?
hmm. I just checked my drains and notice that the rubber bushing and hose on the front driver's side drain has pushed through. The water is apparently just going through the hole instead of being piped down the hose to the underside of the car. Not sure where the water ends up as a result. The carpets seem dry, although, I know sometimes moisture can hide in the foam underneath. I'm going to check it out.
The foam underside of the drivers footwell carpet...
Jayusa123 - Thursday, 15 August, 2013, at 3:59:15 pm
is a bit damp. I'm guessing that the water must be coming from the out of place drain; however, that's not the cause of the odd light behavior since I reinstalled my old immobilizer and they work normally again.

So, a couple questions:

Is the behavior exhibited by the new immobilized the result of a setting or a defect?
Could the dampness in the foam padding of the floor contribute to any other electrical problems? (There is no dampness under the seat near the immobilizer.)

Thanks!
Re: The foam underside of the drivers footwell carpet...
MarcW - Thursday, 15 August, 2013, at 4:33:49 pm
Jayusa123
is a bit damp. I'm guessing that the water must be coming from the out of place drain; however, that's not the cause of the odd light behavior since I reinstalled my old immobilizer and they work normally again.

So, a couple questions:

Is the behavior exhibited by the new immobilized the result of a setting or a defect?
Could the dampness in the foam padding of the floor contribute to any other electrical problems? (There is no dampness under the seat near the immobilizer.)

Thanks!

I do not know the comfort settings that can be selected but those do not read like comfort settings. You have the PST2 and in one of its menus it ought to list the comfort settings. These may be grouped under cabin, stereo or some other label depending upon what the setting most directly pertains to. You then I think are in a better position to answer this question than just about anyone.

Anyhow, my WAG is the behavior you are seeing is not comfort control setting related but due to the dampness.

Also, I do not like dampness anywhere in these cars.

The dampness you found may just be the tip of the iceberg. The source could come from a leaking windshield. Or water has gotten into one of the doors. Be sure the door carpets are dry and in a quiet place when you shake the doors you do not hear any sloshing water sounds.
I actually don't have a PST2
Jayusa123 - Thursday, 15 August, 2013, at 4:52:47 pm
I rented some time on a fellow Porsche enthusiast's unit.

As for the moisture, I agree, it's always bad. I'm going to reseat that drain bushing, as it seems the most likely candidate for the source of the water. The rest of the car is dry as far as my inspection can tell.

I can say for certain that the light behavior has nothing to do with the dampness. Otherwise, swapping out my immobilizer wouldn't have made a bit of difference. With that said, I've narrowed the problem down to the immobilizer and agree with you that it doesn't sound like a comfort feature. So, my next step is to get Sunset Imports on the phone.

Thanks, I'll keep you all posted.
Jay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login