Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
First road trip in CURVEN8R 2
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 10:01:38 am
My wife and I had been planning a little road trip. Timing was perfect as CURVEN8R 2 had just finished the break-in period. Perfect time to try out some of the car's features.

With our trips to BRBS, we've come to love the scenery along the Blue Ridge Parkway, so we decided to take a few days to see the whole Skyline Drive starting at Front Royal, VA and Blue Ridge Parkway which starts where SD ends and finishes in North Carolina, close to the Tennessee border.

Had beautiful weather all the way through NY state and into PA, where we stopped for a picnic lunch at Kinzua Bridge park. The bridge was built in 1882 by 125 men in 94 days and at the time was the tallest (301') rail bridge in the world (24' taller than the Brooklyn bridge.) It was rebuilt in 1900 and destroyed by an F1 tornado in 2003.

Our mode of transportation.

View of the span.

Impact of an F1

Skyline drive wasn't quite what we'd hoped for. It ended up being like a 105 mile car wash, only the car didn't come out clean. Heavy rain, fog and 60 F most of the way. Did get a bit of a break near the end of SD.

Co pilot commenting "This doesn't feel like 82 F and sunny like it said in the forecast."

Did get to see some of the scenery. At this point, we knew that the Boxster was tightly sealed against monsoon like rains. Not a drop inside except what got in when getting in and out of the car.

By the time we got into the BRP, we did get some breaks in the rain, caught this with the rain in the background.

Second day on the BRP was a beauty. Warm enough to really try out the vented seats.

Ended up at this place which some of you might recognize. Really was different with the only Porsche there. Sure got lots of attention, comments and questions about the car.

Re: First road trip in CURVEN8R 2
Roger987 - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 10:13:01 am
Thanks for posting. Great pics.

Love the photo of the driver's side, with the dark clouds and mountains in the background.

Lots of variations in the GT Silver's hues.

Now that you can redline the engine, how's the stereo sounding?
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 2:42:01 pm
Yes, we weren't happy about the rain, but it did yield a few interesting pictures.

The GT Silver really does have different hues, depending on lighting conditions. Here's another one where there's almost seems to be a touch of blue. Just a combination of clouds and sun.

I haven't had it to redline yet, but did have it up around 7K a few times. The car just gets there so fast in the first three gears. The stereo - needless to say, I absolutely love it. Need some time to go through some video. Might have a recording in there that is most pleasing to the ear. cool smiley
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
grinning smiley Every day is Shine-n-Show for G-man...nice pics! *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 1:02:45 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Well, I did clean it up in the morning before we left. Had quite a few comments and compliments when we arrived.

Boxsters are just too beautiful to drive dirty. Driving a Boxster dirty is something like dressing up one of Gary's "friends" in a potato sack. It just ain't right.
Guenter in Ontario
Boxsters are just too beautiful to drive dirty. Driving a Boxster dirty is something like dressing up one of Gary's "friends" in a potato sack. It just ain't right.

Say what confused smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Guenter in Ontario
Yer slipping.

As you well know, happens to all of us as we age winking smiley

I'd rather drive'em hard when they're dirty than wasting lots of time wiping'em down rather than driving'em some more. Nasty and dirty, in the saddle, is better than clean and squeaky out of it.

Gary in SoFL
Guenter in Ontario
Yer slipping.

As you well know, happens to all of us as we age winking smiley

I'd rather drive'em hard when they're dirty than wasting lots of time wiping'em down rather than driving'em some more. Nasty and dirty, in the saddle, is better than clean and squeaky out of it.

As for slipping, nobody's told me about it yet, so I'll have to take your word for it.

"Drive'em hard when they're dirty" When did you do a 180?
Guenter in Ontario

As for slipping, nobody's told me about it yet, so I'll have to take your word for it.

How could they....even your wife is scared to death to tell you she hates traveling in your harsh riding new car drinking smiley

Gary in SoFL

How could they....even your wife is scared to death to tell you she hates traveling in your harsh riding new car drinking smiley

You must have an amazingly sensitive butt, if you can tell my car has a harsh ride from 1,500 miles away.

I actually have to sit and drive in a car before I can tell if the ride is harsh or not.
You may be surprised to know that we have test drives down here, also. cool smiley

I realize your sport suspension was cheaper than my PASM, and the drop over your foolish 20" wheels seems cool to you, but it will get very old quickly, not that I expect you to admit it, since as you said, you 'never second guess' yourself. Maybe absorbing every road bump from your back through your skeleton system and up to your brain is clouding your thinking. Scraping your bottom over every speed bump will do nothing for your obsessive compulsive spotless car complex either.

Just trying to help you, G-man. smileys with beer

Gary:

LOL!

Regards, Maurice.
grinning smiley Thanks, Maurice.

... it's because year-round I maintain a protective layer of dirt and grime, just like a not-so-clear-bra on the entire car.
When BRBS comes around, that protective layer gets washed off and... a shiny Boxster shows up winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

The Master drives hard, fast, dirty and nasty thumbs up smileys with beer *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 10:33:28 am
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... it's because year-round I maintain a protective layer of dirt and grime, just like a not-so-clear-bra on the entire car.
When BRBS comes around, that protective layer gets washed off and... a shiny Boxster shows up winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Just checked you website. Surprised you're you haven't got it listed as a TechNoClean product - even easier to apply than P21S. grinning smiley
Guenter in Ontario
Pedro (Weston, FL)
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Just checked you website. Surprised you're you haven't got it listed as a TechNoClean product - even easier to apply than P21S. grinning smiley

... and that's a cleaning product!
But I do like the name TechNOclean.... hmmm.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Thanks for the great pictures, Guenter *NM*
MikenOH - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 11:54:57 am
richard986pei - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 11:59:22 am
Great car & great trip - life is good!! - fantastic pictures with the silver Boxster and the gray-silver clouds in the background.
Thanks Richard
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 2:24:38 pm
You are absolutely correct. Life is good if you're lucky enough to be driving a Boxster. Sun in your hair, wind in your face, dance through the curves to the orchestra playing the Symphony in Flat Six. Life doesn't get much better.
Nice travelogue; great pictures! *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 2:49:31 pm
m4240z - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 3:43:45 pm
What a great road trip! Nice pics, great looking car.
Thanks, Doug smileys with beer *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 5:36:43 pm
Maybe it's that age thing he's referring to.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 6:33:39 pm
Wish I had known you were coming down this way. We could have had a Playdate" for CURVEN8R and CURVN8R!
Glad you had a great time driving and was able to find some good weather.

Wonderful pictures.

Joanne
BLKBOXS - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 12:28:21 pm
Great pics of your new car, great roads and Michellethumbs up

I certainly hope you are going to tell me that you and Gary are brothers, because only dialogue like that would come from Family.confused smiley

See you soon!

MIKELLIG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login