Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Keyless entry on again off again
sky986 - Friday, 14 January, 2011, at 2:55:57 pm
Hello,
On my 1999 Boxster , my keyless lock/open works intermittingly. Battery was changed a little while ago – and worked perfect for a bout a week. Anybody with same issue? Never had a problem up until 3 months ago.
Thanks in advance.
in the cabin is cause for concern. For instance if you notice dampness at the bottom of a door the door could be filled with water and this water is playing havoc with the electrics in the door. At first erratic door locking may be the only symptom. But if the water left to work its damage the symptoms grow in number and seriousness. They also start to appear at locations that point away from water in the door.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
How would one get at that. What other areas can I check for water. I has been raining steady these past 6 months and at the office I do leave my car outside when I go on business trips.
Thanks
Boxsters have...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 16 January, 2011, at 9:44:30 am
... some drains that can get clogged very easily with leaves or debris.
Open the top half way and look next to the top's pivots.
You'll se a drain hole. It can be cleaned out by putting and air hose or a water hose on it and spraying.
Be careful if it's clogged that spray may come back at you.

The remotes also tend to fail after some years of use.
I've seen several that develop hairline cracks on the circuit board giving the symptoms you describe.
If you have good eyes (or a good magnifier) closely inspect the circuit board, in particular the tinned parts.
If you see a crack you can use a little solder to bridge it back.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Drains
sky986 - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 11:34:16 am
Thanks everyone for their input. Drivers seat dry but passengers side was wet. I did check all drains and cleaned with thin plastic roto rooter device I bought at Canadian Tire (the rear right was blocked). The windows/doors are dry. Will now become normal check as Vancouver is a rain friendly city.
the plastic cowl covers. To get at those, open the front trunk, remove the battery cover which you can do without any tools. Remove the cowl covers on either side. You'll need a torx bit and driver. I forget the size. I have a driver (like a screwdriver) with a bunch of torx/screwdriver/philips bits stored in the handle. I just try the torx bits until I find the right size.

If you buy a set of Torx bits be sure you get the ones that can work with Torx screws that have a security feature present: A 'pip' in the center of the Torx bit hole. A proper bit will have a hole in its screw end that clears this pip.

Another place water can get into where it shouldn't is the window/door seals can leak. To test for this in a quiet place give the door a shake. (Test each one in turn.) Listen for sloshing water. If you hear any the door will have to be opened up and the water dried and the seal renewed. I do not know how to gain access to the door or replace the seal, but I believe I have the instructions in the factory manual and can supply you with a copy via email if you need them.

Yet another sign of water in a door is if the carpet at the bottom of the door is damp.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login