Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Who wants to laugh? Help me.
Jaay - Wednesday, 11 September, 2013, at 7:04:27 pm
I was in the mist of changing my tranny and was at the same time upgrading some hardware on the engine case when I thought it would be a good idea to loosen the ims bearing nut. I went to re torque it and snapped the F'r in half. Honestly, I just laughed. I have zero luck. Any way to pull the ims bearing with out the bolt?

Oops
Roger987 - Wednesday, 11 September, 2013, at 7:30:50 pm
That sort of thing has happened to all of us who work on our cars.

Kudos to you for being able to laugh. I'm impressed.

No doubt Pedro will have a solution for you.

In the meantime, have a beer, or whatever else you like. You deserve it.
Re: Who wants to laugh? Help me.
Jaay - Wednesday, 11 September, 2013, at 7:42:10 pm
Yup, Pedro is the man. The beer was the first thing I did to fix the problem. smiling smiley
Re: Who wants to laugh? Help me.
Jaay - Wednesday, 11 September, 2013, at 7:58:43 pm
SOooooooooo..... if anyone wants to lend me there bearing extraction tool please speak up. There are plenty of people here who can vouch for me. smiling smiley
Not laughing, but not as bad ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 12 September, 2013, at 12:48:05 pm
... as it seems.
There are generally 2 ways to solve this:

1.- Remove the flange
File/grind the broken end flat
Weld a bolt with the same threads as the broken shaft and extract as usual with the extraction tool.
or

2.- Tap the bearing into the IMS. The retaining shaft is pressed into the bearing's inner race.
Use a bearing extractor to pull the bearing out.

I like step 1 better because you do not want to put too much stress on the bearing by hitting it repeatedly. What can happen is that if the bearing is somewhat weak you could extract the inner race and the balls, but the outer race can stay in place in the engine block. If that happens then you'd need a surgeon to cut out the steel race without nicking the block.

If I weren't using my extraction tool on a daily basis, I'd lend you mine. I know where you live. winking smiley

Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Not laughing, but not as bad ...
Jaay - Thursday, 12 September, 2013, at 2:10:31 pm
Thanks Pedro. I have another set of extraction and installation tools on the way from another member of a forum. Once I know I am getting my hands on it I will be on the phone with you ordering up the DOF with the ceramic ball bearing.

Thank you again.

Jason
MauriceonLongIsland - Thursday, 12 September, 2013, at 11:56:20 pm
Jaay:

Let me know if you need a hand or any additional tools.

Regards, Maurice.
Jaay - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 3:09:26 pm
In the next few weeks I'm going to have Pedro's dof and ceramic ball bearing setup. After that my friend is coming over with his welder to weld on the broken stud. I hope all goes well. I'll give you a call. Thank bud.
MauriceonLongIsland - Sunday, 15 September, 2013, at 10:22:32 am
Jaay:

Anytime...Give me a call ahead of time and we'll make it an IMS replacement party like the one we had on Stefan's Box! drinking smiley

I can bring over that nice transmission jack and the clutch alignment "tool" we cut off Stefan's old transmission.

Regards, Maurice.
Jaay - Sunday, 15 September, 2013, at 8:19:50 pm
Sounds good. I have a a tranny jack/motorcycle jack and a clutch alignment tool but we should use Stephan's in for good measure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login