Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hurley Haywood on Heel/Toe Technique
Todd in PA - Saturday, 15 January, 2011, at 4:28:51 pm
A bit polite and a bit slow moving but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Saw it on Rennlist so I thought I might share it with you all.
Re: Hurley Haywood on Heel/Toe Technique
Alcantera - Saturday, 15 January, 2011, at 4:36:35 pm
Todd you dont have a link
Well he did say
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 15 January, 2011, at 4:48:34 pm
he "might" share it. winking smiley We'll just have to be patient. smiling smiley
Todd: When are you going to share it? confused smiley Regards,
MauriceonLongIsland - Saturday, 15 January, 2011, at 6:58:41 pm
Todd in PA
A bit polite and a bit slow moving but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Saw it on Rennlist so I thought I might share it with you all.
HHh&t

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Here's a inset-view video with some heel and toe
Laz - Saturday, 15 January, 2011, at 8:32:56 pm
Some heel and toe

I watched this video several times. I assume this guy is a very experienced or maybe a professional driver. first, only watched his footwork, then only watched the tac, then his gear work, fourth watched the track. Really nice set of linked videos, I'll watch some more, there is a lot to learn here. I have done DE and autox, but I never heal/toed. I may try it now. No way did I ever keep my revs up so consistently in such a high band. He is almost always in the 5-7k sweat spot, maybe 80% of the time, and going down to 4k is infrequent and only short lived. Great video.
This is one of the areas of driving that i spend a lot of time and effort one. Don't mistake me - i still suck, but i'm beginning to suck less.

I find that practice on the street helps a lot - you have to get to the point where its internalized and thinking is not required - it all happens so fast.

Interestingly, he actually uses the toe (well, ball) and then the heel. Many don't. Note the illustrations in Bob Bondurant's book for a different take. So far i don't. The alternate method is to place the left side of the ball of your foot on the brake, push, and at the right time, twist your foot so the RIGHT side of your foot blips the throttle, and you can then downshift normally (timing is everything). I have small-ish shows, and i find the boxster's pedals are a bit widely spaced. Ergo all the aftermarket "pedal extensions". I am seriously considering a set, but want to try them out.

Lots of fun, and a new perspective always helps. Nice track!

Grant

now, off to Banff :-)
+1 on the Bondurant technique.
We spent 3 days there at a school driving Mustangs and got the feel of H&T using the "roll the right side of the foot" on the gas technique.
After trying to do the same on the 987, I've given up--the pedals are too far apart for me and Harley's angled foot setup just doesn't work either.

I'm also looking for a set of better pedals to close up the gap between the gas & brake.
Funny how rolling the right side of the foot works just fine on our E90.
... i'm having the best luck with a pair of thin-sole, high quality dress balmoral/blutcher lace-up oxfords. Wing-tip or box toes doesn't seem to affect it :-)

I'm personally using an old set of J&Ms with a thin, rigid leather sole.

Quite the stylish driving shoes.

Grant

ps: Addidas Stan smiths work well too, but the sole is not as rigid
Many times the technique depends on ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 9:45:23 am
... how your set of pedals is designed.
If the accelerator pedal "hangs" from the firewall, it's easier to heel-and-toe.
If the accelerator pedal is floor mounted and hinged to the floor, then it's easier to blip with the side of your foot.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
More On Hurley......
Todd in PA - Sunday, 16 January, 2011, at 11:18:28 am
Hurley Haywood seems like such a nice guy. Can you imagine having someone of that calibre teaching you performance driving? I always just rolled my big foot (size 13) over to the throttle and could blip with the right side of the ball of my foot. Sometimes I had to tape a block of wood to the throttle to make it even with the brake pedal when fully depressed, make it much easier. I want to try Hurley's method in the spring when the snow is gone! I got a cringe when Hurley was yelling "Brake, Brake Hard". As a former instructor it was at those times you were wishing you might just make it around the turn. Being the passenger in a high performance sports car is not really all that much fun. Sorry about the link again, I guess my age is showing.
Re: More On Hurley......
whall - Sunday, 16 January, 2011, at 12:25:57 pm
A couple of years ago I sent my wife to the Porsche Drivers School at the Barber Motorsport Park in Birmingham AL. Hurley Haywood was (is still?) the chief instructor at the school. I was afforded the opportunity to sit through the classroom sessions and to ride with the instructor(s) as an observer....for the fee of $125. One of the instructors was Hurley. In about 10-12 laps around the course, at no more than 70% performance potential (dragging a gaggle of students behind), I was impressed by his consistency and ability to talk to the following students by radio and chat with me.

Barber Motorsport Park is exactly that, a park.....although it looks more park-like when the grass is green and there are leaves on the trees. The best corner is a combination of turns 7, 7a, 7b, 8 and 8a - collectively known as the "Museum Corner".

Bill
.....and here I thought she was just naturally fast smoking smiley
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, at 9:36:31 am
No wonder Karen demand at least half the driving time.
Re: More On Hurley......
Meredith in Atlanta - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 9:14:09 am
I took the class at Barber Motorsports back in 2007 and Hurley was my instructor - there were other instructors for skidpad, autocross... but he was the guy for our group on the track. I have a great picture of him and me standing together in front of the 911's that we drove on the track. He was very gracious. One of my fondest memories!
Great video, thanks for sharing *NM*
newt - Sunday, 16 January, 2011, at 11:06:16 pm
NorminHouston - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 7:59:14 pm
Great video! Did Motor-man buckle up? I don't think so.cool smiley
Rev Dennis - Saturday, 22 January, 2011, at 7:00:46 pm
re:"I always just rolled my big foot "

Lotus Europas had the pedals so close it was easy. Left side on the brake, right side on the throttle and just roll the foot. I test drove an NSX that had the pedals modified to allow the same.
Hi Dennis! *NM*
Todd in PA - Saturday, 22 January, 2011, at 8:43:03 pm
Hi Dennis! nice to see you posting. *NM*
Todd in PA - Saturday, 22 January, 2011, at 8:44:26 pm
Good morning Todd. Long time no see. *NM*
Rev Dennis - Sunday, 23 January, 2011, at 7:06:55 am
pm sent! *NM*
Todd in PA - Sunday, 23 January, 2011, at 10:14:38 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login