Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
986 - Yellowed headlights
Crooster - Wednesday, 2 October, 2013, at 8:44:01 pm
I'm pretty happy with the cosmetics of my new to me 2001 Boxster, except I would like a new set of rims and the inner headlight lenses are melted and yellow, like many other Canadian Boxsters I looked at. I'm guessing the daytime running lights are the culprit. Is there a way to refurbish these or am I looking at replacements? Too avoid this occurring again I would like xenons but the factory litronics are too pricey. I'm considering the TechnoLite HID kit instead.

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 08:54PM by Crooster. (view changes)
Re: 986 - Yellowed headlights
Naples986 - Thursday, 3 October, 2013, at 3:11:54 pm
I had this issue too. Only two real choices, #1 buy new headlights which as you already know can be expensive (even aftermarket ones on EBay) or #2 retrofit which I did. Retrofitting the 996/986 headlights involves taking the headlight unit apart, removing the yellowed inner lens you wrote about, and some grinding to install a projector lens. With the projector lens installed you can use the TechnoLite HID kit (lights) and have an updated look. I think I still have some before and after photos if your interested.
Crooster - Thursday, 3 October, 2013, at 3:35:57 pm
Sounds a bit frightening but I would love to see some photos. Thanks!
Naples986 - Saturday, 5 October, 2013, at 2:41:02 pm

From before (top) to after (bottom) , sorry about the quality I could not find the digital pictures. I have more of all the work involved. If you search YouTube "retro fit headlights" you'll get an idea of what's involved. Having done it I would say if you are a DIY type it's not that hard to do and for less then $500 you can convert a/k/a retro fit both headlights to projector HIDs (Xenon).

P.S. Once you have it apart you can de amber the turn signal too if you like.
Thanks for posting the photos
Crooster - Sunday, 6 October, 2013, at 8:40:28 am
Thanks! That is a huge improvement. I will consider doing this over the winter.
Crooster - Monday, 7 October, 2013, at 7:43:34 am
Does the single projector bulb give you high beams as well?
Naples986 - Monday, 7 October, 2013, at 10:36:59 am
Crooster
Does the single projector bulb give you high beams as well?

I ordered bi-xenon (low & high beam function) projectors which require some additional wiring (not worth the extra work). You can get the regular projector and keep the existing second halogen light bulb (it's located in the bottom half of the reflector dish) for high beam use. If you look closely at the factory Litronic headlight that's exactly what they did.
Sounds like a business opportunity
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 7 October, 2013, at 4:44:55 pm
Someone takes an old set of headlights and ships you back a set de-ambered and with HIDs and projectors. The TechnoLite2+. I don't know what the + is for, its just marketing.
Re: Sounds like a business opportunity
Crooster - Monday, 7 October, 2013, at 5:44:42 pm
Agreed! Surprising that nobody is offering this as a service already.
Re: Sounds like a business opportunity
Naples986 - Monday, 7 October, 2013, at 9:00:54 pm
Crooster
Agreed! Surprising that nobody is offering this as a service already.

When I did mine a few years ago only the rice burners were being professionally done. While looking up some info for this post I found that several people have now done the retro fit on Porsche and companies are now doing 986/996 headlights too. I found several links on 986 forum. Good luck.
... already exist.
I just don't have them listed on the website.
The projectors come chromed, but can be supplied in any color (orange is my personal favorite).

[i83.photobucket.com]

They even come with "halo" surround lights around the projector which are the parking lights.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Hi. I'm still wondering if I can replace just this part. I've been calling it the lense. If so where can I get them?

... only from another headlight.
Neither Porsche nor Bosch sell the lenses individually.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Hi,

I have the same issue with my 99 boxster. Both lenses are yellowed and even started to crack. I don't drive the car much at night so I don't really need to spend money to upgrade the lights but I would like to replace the yellowed internal lenses. I'm sorry but I'm confused as to what you purchased to replace these lenses in your post. Did you buy just the lenses from somewhere or replace the entire headlight?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

greg
I never did follow up on this post. I ended up shopping around for the best price I could find on the factory Litronics, and replaced the whole headlight units, along with clear corners on the turn signal portion.
Click on any of the images for a larger version:
Shipment:
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]

Install:
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]
"I would like a new set of rims "
Roger987 - Sunday, 6 October, 2013, at 10:07:22 pm
Probably much easier and less expensive to buy the entire wheel, rather than just the rim. Unless you have some kind of fancy-pants 3-piece wheel, I don't know how you'd go about removing the spokes from your existing wheels and installing them on new 'rims'.

[www.tirerack.com]
Re: "I would like a new set of rims "
Crooster - Monday, 7 October, 2013, at 7:31:15 am
LOL - agreed. A new set of "wheels" is the ticket!
smiling smiley
Roger987 - Monday, 7 October, 2013, at 8:20:33 am
BTW, welcome to the Board. It's a great group.

You'll enjoy working on your Boxster, doing things to make it 'yours'. It can be addictive, in a good way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login