Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Sunday Morning Ramblings
Todd in PA - Sunday, 16 January, 2011, at 11:49:27 am
As much as I love my yellow Cab, I have always continued to believe, that for me, the Boxster is the best car Porsche makes. The 911 is a bit larger for my 6'5" size and with the windblocker and the side windows up, very calm in the cabin with the top down. I am curious to see if the New Boxster has just a bit more room inside compared to my 986. It took me awhile to remember exactly how to exploit the rear engined idiosyncrasies of the 911 and of course, 385 hp is fun but almost too much to enjoy on the street. The car is so fast that it has become socially irresponsible to enjoy. I can "race" my son's Mini and almost never get it above 80 mph. Taking the 911 to redline in 2nd then 3d then 4th is well over a 100mph and potential jail time! It feels so good though. Just some rambling thoughts this cold but sunny Sunday morning

02 986 S 66,000 miles at trade in 7/09

09 C2S Cab, 38 miles at purchase 7/09

Re: Sunday Morning Ramblings
garyinseattle - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 10:50:43 am
Couldn't agree more. When I was doing more highway driving, I really enjoyed my 911 C-4. More stable at speed. Now that I am doing all city driving, the Boxster (05 Base), is the perfect car. Small and light, just more fun to drive.
A few questions
Roger987 - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 1:05:29 pm
With the windscreen installed and side windows up, how does cabin turbulence compare with the Boxster with the windstop in place?

Does the 911 windscreen mess with rear seat storage utility? Where do you place your golf bag in the 911 Cab?

Does the 911 feel a bit less toss-able and nimble than the Boxster? Is the ride smoother?

Incidentally, a good friend with a 2005 987 reports that the speedo needle will touch 100 mph in 3rd gear before the rev limiter kicks in. winking smiley
Just one question
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 2:12:59 pm
Does this friend drive a GT Silver Boxster? winking smiley
Re: Just one question
Roger987 - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 2:30:29 pm
That would be tellin'. tongue sticking out smiley

Betcha one of those 2006 Arctic Silver's with chrome tailpipes and 18" wheels could do it, too. winking smiley
Re: Just one question
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 3:11:32 pm
Roger987

Betcha one of those 2006 Arctic Silver's with chrome tailpipes and 18" wheels could do it, too. winking smiley

a friend with a car just like that said that it is so. What a coincidence. winking smiley smiling smiley
Re: A few questions
Burg Boxster - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 2:59:17 pm
Todd's opinions may differ but here are mine winking smiley

With the windscreen installed and side windows up, how does cabin turbulence compare with the Boxster with the windstop in place?
w/ the windscreen in place and windows up, turbulence is almost non-existent. Comparing w/ just the windscreens in place and no windows, 997s have much less...

Does the 911 windscreen mess with rear seat storage utility? Where do you place your golf bag in the 911 Cab?
yes - seats must be folded down to put windscreen in. Golf clubs/bag go under the windscreen on top of seat-backs but you must pull out all woods. Then, put the club heads in one of the rear seat footwells and shaft diagonally across back of front seats between windscreen.

Does the 911 feel a bit less toss-able and nimble than the Boxster? Is the ride smoother?
Smoother - tough to compare b/c my Boxster had 17" wheels but my 997 has 19" but very stable I'll say - feels more substantial. Still very nimble, especially w/ all the electronic gizmos, but probably not as much as the Boxster. The power is addicting though grinning smiley

Incidentally, a good friend with a 2005 987 reports that the speedo needle will touch 100 mph in 3rd gear before the rev limiter kicks in. winking smiley[/quote]
Guenter? Oh wait, his is an '06. Abe or his successor? winking smiley
Thanks, Scot
Roger987 - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 3:26:25 pm
I wasn't sure whether, when the top is down, there's room underneath for the golf clubs. In my Boxster, I have to remove the driver and woods from the bag, and while I can then fit them in the trunk, it's easier to simply put them in the passenger compartment.

We have yet to hear from Abe's replacement as to how his new (to him) Boxster performs. I don't think we've seen photos yet. Last I read, it was still in the process of being shipped. winking smiley
Re: A few questions
Todd in PA - Monday, 17 January, 2011, at 9:10:49 pm
Roger987
MY take is the 997 has way less buffeting than the 09 Boxster S we compared it to in back to back test drives. The proof of the pudding was my fiancé's earings were still in the 997 and flapping in the 987. I think that could have been the deciding factorsmiling smiley

Yes of course. It is a pita to slide stuff under the windblocker and the seats always have to folded down. I don't golf so I cant address that question. More importantly the windblocker also prevents me from reclining the seat back as far as I would like, so I lose some comfort in that regard. As some of you know, I love having the top down, even in really cool weather (40 degrees) with the heated seats on full and the heater on full blast. The 987 cabin is smaller and has no back seat so the heat is better, but the wind is less with the 911. I think the 997 is the better cold weather car with the top down by a small margin.

I have 19's, and the new PASM is pretty damn good. On soft it is pretty compliant and sport really flattens it out. I didn't have a 987 so I can't give an honest evaluation but my stock 986S suspension was way softer, lots more body roll, and less precise than this 997. Tossable? w/o sounding like a jerk, is a style of driving I don't aspire to. I concentrate on smoothness and precision . That being said, as an old time Porsche driving instructor, and an experienced 911 driver i am amazed at how this car handles quick transitions and it just damn sticks. Driven properly, the 997 doesn't push much at all. However, it is a given that the 987 handles better.

Incidentally, a good friend with a 2005 987 reports that the speedo needle will touch 100 mph in 3rd gear before the rev limiter kicks in. winking smiley
Got it, some people really manhandle the steering inputs on the track and it really upsets the balance of the car. It is amazing how a fairly decent driving technique will allow almost all modern cars to perform way beyond what you might expect. it's really fun for me to enjoy a "spirited drive" with another driver in a "performance" car while I am in my station wagon or son's mini. The other driver is usually quite upset and amazed that my lowly transportation can keep up or even worse, that he can't!
I know this has been posted before, but ...hey, it's a dreary morning.

[youtu.be]
The 'revised' version is also there, and is ... ahem... somewhat profane and also... quite funny. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login