Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
..about the technology behind these, the differences between these and Xenons, the advantages/disadvantages, and the nature of the improvements.

Many thanks, guys.

Kind regards, -rick.
I have never had, or even driven, with LED headlights, but
grant - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 10:34:06 am
the technology differences are fairly clear. Long-lasting (pretty much never burn out); run cool; more robust; very white light (not blue).

An LED is a solid-state device ( a diode that emits light) - no bulb, no filament, no gas, no socket, no moving parts. Over time should be cheap as heck too.

As to the particulars of this implementation, that requires reading the specs - lumens, focus, and just plain seeing how it looks.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The future...
AS2003 - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 10:40:16 am
From what I've read LED headlamps require less energy than Xenons and halogens. Further, they are easy to manipulate. In other words, they can become part of the car's overall design. I presume the LED option will soon overtake the Xenon option for the Boxster. Xenons will be standard, and LEDs will be the option. I think they look great on the 918. I haven't seen the 991 with the LED option yet, but I believe they cost $2300 in the U.S..

Here's a link about the 918 lights: [www.motortrend.com]

Re: The future...
Naples986 - Friday, 11 October, 2013, at 11:49:10 pm
Looks like the future is here, LED replacement headlights are already available. Found several posts about people experimenting with LED retrofit headlights.

[genet.gelighting.com]
Re: The future...
Eric (Plug Guy) - Saturday, 12 October, 2013, at 6:54:04 am
We've got 'em on our Audi A8L (2012)....fantastic lighting, worth a reasonable upgrade/option price.

The 928 has the worst headlights of any of my cars; the factory fitted ones (at least for US cars) are absolutely hideous.

One other topic, I wonder if the new LED headlamps finally solve the distance 'cut off' problem of Xenon lights?

Thanks for your replies. -rick.
New Pictures of the Macan with LED lights
AS2003 - Friday, 11 October, 2013, at 10:30:47 am
Lights on the new Macan.... with 918 like wheels...

Rick J (Nashville, TN)
The 928 has the worst headlights of any of my cars; the factory fitted ones (at least for US cars) are absolutely hideous.

One other topic, I wonder if the new LED headlamps finally solve the distance 'cut off' problem of Xenon lights?

Thanks for your replies. -rick.

The LED lamps certainly solve the cutoff problem.
LED headlights have been the preferred lighting system for the past several years on the LMPs at Le Sartre where you really need to illuminate a lot of real estate in front of you.
Happy LED'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Even having someone, with high beams on, in your review mirror (dimmed) seems dangerous. I would think that with LED lighting, there would be some sort of cut off necessary - at least on low beams.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login