Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
evap canister connections
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Thursday, 17 October, 2013, at 7:14:54 pm
I have a question that hopefully someone knows the answer to, regarding the evap canister connections.

On my Spec Boxster, I have removed the evap canister from under the right front fender. That thing is heavy! Well, at least relative to the amount of weight I still need to lose from the car. The question is what to do with the 3 lines that used to connect to the canister.

One of the lines is just an open vent tube that comes out near the rear bumper.
There are two other lines and I can't tell them apart. One may be coming from the gas tank as a vent; the other may be going to the intake (as a way of burning vented vapor in the engine).
Any suggestions for telling these apart?
And, does it make sense to block off the "intake" tube, and connect the "tank vent" tube to the rear bumper vent tube?

Thanks!
Trygve
Boxster owner to ask this question -- on one of the spec Boxster sites, or forums.

There's one at www.renntrack.com.
Another at [www.boxsterspecracing.org]

And there may be more but those came up at the top of the search hit list.
Believe me...
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Saturday, 19 October, 2013, at 5:13:15 pm
Marc -- thanks -- of course this is not the first or only place I am inquiring. smiling smiley Just casting a wide net for obscure info. I have some input already, will document upon validation.
Hi Trygve....
Joanne in OC - Saturday, 19 October, 2013, at 7:30:58 pm
I have no idea how to answer your question. You usually answer mine.

Just wanted to say "hi". Haven't seen or spoken to you in awhile. I want to get up to the Bay Area to visit my college roommate, but probably won't make it until after the holidays. My Sundays are tied up until Dec (teaching nursing for UCI).

Maybe we can get a group together when I go up. BABBLERS were always a lot of fun.

Joanne
Porsche groupie? winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Absolutely !!!!!!
Joanne in OC - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 2:56:34 pm
I don't deny it.the finger smiley I think I said that years ago smileys with beer

Why do you think after my car was totalled last year, I had to get another Porsche. Just wasn't the same. Remember "it's the people", and it is a great, wonderful, devine car!!!!

Joanne
True dat....and the engine location is a nit! smoking smiley
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 8:17:32 pm
When you drive a 991, the steering feels lithe and super-quick. In a 991 you feel the road. The car you feel through the seat because the mass is behind you. This is less obvious with newer 991s But its all still true, just refined down to where its harder for the average person to notice, at least that is until you start running out of traction.

This is where the 911, and to a lesser degree the 991, really starts to shine. Because the 911/991 has all that mass out back you can't help but feel it. In corners, it telegraphs to you the need for respect, to be decisive, and you will feel in the seat that big rear end wanting to come around if you even think about easing off. The car is telling you loud and clear that you better watch out. The 991 whispers more discretely but its the same conversation.

If you can't handle it, get a more forgiving, until it breaks away, 981 tongue sticking out smiley

Way different,; both great; and I love each. smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Nicely put. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 10:45:50 pm
Re: True dat....and the engine location is a nit! smoking smiley
BLKBOXS - Sunday, 8 December, 2013, at 10:38:19 am
Gary in SoFL
When you drive a 991, the steering feels lithe and super-quick. In a 991 you feel the road. The car you feel through the seat because the mass is behind you. This is less obvious with newer 991s But its all still true, just refined down to where its harder for the average person to notice, at least that is until you start running out of traction.

This is where the 911, and to a lesser degree the 991, really starts to shine. Because the 911/991 has all that mass out back you can't help but feel it. In corners, it telegraphs to you the need for respect, to be decisive, and you will feel in the seat that big rear end wanting to come around if you even think about easing off. The car is telling you loud and clear that you better watch out. The 991 whispers more discretely but its the same conversation.

If you can't handle it, get a more forgiving, until it breaks away, 981 tongue sticking out smiley

Way different,; both great; and I love each. smileys with beer

Gary,

Based on your experience so far with the 991, I was wondering...after your lease is up, are you going to keep the 991 or return it...and then would you consider a 981, top or topless?

MIKELLIG
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 5:29:17 pm
Cayman S, or Macan S, as of today.

Times, priorities and needs change. cool smiley

BLKBOXS - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 6:54:55 pm
So much to choose from ...so little time.cool smiley

MIKELLIG
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 7:12:32 pm
BLKBOXS
So much to choose from ...so little time.cool smiley

We're talking cars, right? winking smiley

Gary in SoFL

Had another member of the family really interested in the Macan, until she found out it only came with PDK. sad smiley
BLKBOXS - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 9:39:29 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Gary in SoFL

Had another member of the family really interested in the Macan, until she found out it only came with PDK. sad smiley

I believe the base Macan will be offered with a manual tranny...it is most likely wishful thinking..but there got to be some hope...tis the season.thumbs up

MIKELLIG
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, at 11:50:53 am
After the mad rush to be the first nanny on the block to have a loaded Macan, the word is they will be offered with a MANual, just like the Cayenne, though you'd be hard pressed to find one with a 6 MT.

Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, at 12:38:31 pm
Gary in SoFL
After the mad rush to be the first nanny on the block to have a loaded Macan, the word is they will be offered with a MANual, just like the Cayenne, though you'd be hard pressed to find one with a 6 MT.

Could be, but there isn't one even offered in Germany, according to the configurator. And, it seems that any new models Porsche has brought out are PDK only. Time will tell. No rush right now anyway, but it's always good to start looking for down the road (as in time) stuff.
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, at 12:47:06 pm
I believe it will be some time before a manual isn't offered in the 981 and 991 variants.

But, PDK may become standard, and you're required to pay 3 or 4 grand for a MANual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 01:01PM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Sounds good!
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Tuesday, 22 October, 2013, at 11:22:24 am
Just spent yesterday racing at Thunderhill. My Boxster is no longer street-driveable except in a pinch!
Then you can ride with me grinning smiley
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 22 October, 2013, at 11:20:54 pm
Then you can teach me a few things..... actually a lot of things.

Joanne
Look here, and my guess....
grant - Sunday, 8 December, 2013, at 11:12:23 am
Let's ignore the boxster specific things and think about what they do. The charcoal canister is a filter to trap residual stuff before venting to the atmosphere.

There are two sources of evaporative stuff: the motor and the gas tank.

So it seems to me that those two are in effect connected, runnign to the canister, which then vents to the atmosphere.

The following URL supports my intuition.

[www.aa1car.com]

So connect the two leads from the motor and tank together and vent them safely - not to the interior.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
There is a line connected to the canister -- via some valve -- that is routed to the engine -- intake -- and opened under DME control to evacuate the fumes from the canister and burn these in the engine. The valve may be opened to allow the tank to inhale air to make up for the drop in the fuel level over time.

Then at various times the line can be opened to test for a leak in the venting system. (Some vehicles have a small pressure pump that is used to pressurize the fuel tank and its venting system and a pressure sensor is monitored to test for the presence of a leak.)

I'm still not sure though what is the best way to route all these lines if one wants to do away with this setup.

I would hazard a guess that at least the line that runs to the engine intake should be blocked off to avoid an intake leak. If there is a pressure pump this should be disconnected.I guess the canister can be removed and the tank vented to atmosphere.

I still say that if removing this is allowed in the rules this has already been resolved and a spec Boxster forum should have the best answer. There is a fire hazard. On a hot day or just running the engine the fuel will warm up and vent fumes. If the car is parked these fumes can collect and form an explosive mixture that can be set off when the engine is started again, or from just a static electric discharge.
1. vent to atmosphere without canister
2. vent to intake

problem with #2 is that it will put a vacuum on the fuel storage system and potentially cause a vacuum loss/leak on the manifold.

problem with #1 is emissions. But you need not meet emissions. yet its a nice thing to do.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login