Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Just installed the SmartTop smiling bouncing smileythumbs up
Joanne in OC - Saturday, 19 October, 2013, at 8:38:14 pm
Thank you Christopher Brown for installing it for me.

It's great and does just what I want it to do. Well worth the money for the mod. Had a couple of problems with the install but Chris knows what he is doing and was able to solve it. After it was installed, couldn't get the remote to work the top. But that was operator error, I was holding the button (as the directions said) instead of pushing it 3 times.

Works perfect now !!!!! ....... I think I am officially done with the after market add-ons. Time to drive the finger smiley

Joanne
Re: Just installed the SmartTop smiling bouncing smileythumbs up
BLKBOXS - Saturday, 19 October, 2013, at 9:41:49 pm
What does smart top do???smiling smiley

Is it only for 981?
Does it work only on PDK??

Was it Jan that said "Marsha Marsha Marsha!!!!

confused smiley
It's so that I can be lazy grinning smiley
Joanne in OC - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 1:00:37 am
I had Sharky's "One Touch" in my other Boxster and I really liked it. The SmartTop is similar but adds another option.

It will allow you to open and close the top without holding the button in the console. Can just press it 1 time and it goes up or down. Can also program if you want the windows up or down when you open or close the top. It also allows you to open or close the top remotely from the fob.

Has nothing to do with the transmission. They have different stock items for different cars including 986, 987 and 911. Here's a link to their Porsche items [www.mods4cars.com]

Now I can get all my stuff done in the 12 sec it takes for my top to open or close. I can't believe how lost I felt without it.

There is a group buy to get 20% off until the end of Oct.

Joanne

Yes, it was
your top is opening in the morning.

Just one piece of bad news. The 981 top only takes 9 seconds to open/close instead of 12.

So what are you going to have to stoke of your "List Of Things To Do While Top Is Opening"? Hair? Makeup? Tooth brushing? winking smiley smiling smiley
Here's my list
Joanne in OC - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 11:06:04 pm
Put my hair up
Fasten seat belt
Look at gauges (can do this while I'm doing the first 2)
Get my purse and belongings in the right place
Put sun glasses on (after finding them)
Re-do hair (secure it better)

I don't have to lower the windows because the SmartTop does that for me.
Lights are now automatic, don't have to do that either
Phone auto connects, so no need to connect headset
So, it's just right that the top is now only 9 sec instead of 13 smiling smiley

Permagrin is already on all the time, so that's 1 less task
No make up or tooth paste in the car. If I drop it, then it'll mark up the interior. That's on before I get in the car.

I didn't realize that I used to do so much in 12 sec. With all the auto stuff, I now have time to look around and enjoy the view for a few seconds before driving off

Joanne
Wow! You are REALLY good. I bet that
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 11:28:31 pm
you even have a microwave fireplace that will let you enjoy a relaxing evening in front of the fireplace in 95 seconds. smiling bouncing smiley
The owner's manual mentions something about it's still the driver's responsibility. Once or twice I've realized it was bright enough out even with rain that the headlights were still off. I don't think the DRLs count, and they only light the front of the car. It might be the New Jersey Turnpike that has signs stating, "Wipers On. Headlights On."
Good point, Laz
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 8:57:15 am
I've tried using the AUTO setting with my lights and have found the same as you, that there were some situations where I'd check to see if my lights were on and they weren't. I've gone back to turning them on manually. Full lighting is for more than just seeing. It's also for being seen. The DRL's are fine for daylight, but in rain, I'd like people behinds me be able to seem me too.

NJ isn't the only state with that "Wipers On, headlights On" law. I believe I've seen the signs in VA also. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Re: Good point, Laz
Laz - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 9:37:53 am
Well, I still almost entirely use the auto setting, although usually switch the lights to off before starting when in my garage or some other dark environment (like nighttime,) so that they're not kicking the electrical system. My car has the PDLS option and I think at least one of its functions is disabled when the headlight switch is at the conventional "on" postion. By the way, having the rear fog on changes the headlight focus or pattern, but I've yet to detect the change in illumination. I believe the focus or aim is also speed sensitive, with a changeover threshold at some highway speed. Again, haven't detected that yet.
Re: Good point, Laz
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 11:47:46 am
Here's the nitty gritty of the Auto and PDLS (and on the next 2 pages)
[www.porscheownersmanuals.com]

I didn't get PDLS since the S comes standard with Xenons.

They do mention that the AUTO setting does not recognize fog, so you need to switch lights on manually at that point. Naturally, the rear fog light has to be turned on manually too.

The garage situation was another reason that I like to switch the lights off. Did notice in AUTO that lights would come on, then switch off after pulling out of the garage.

Apparently. AUTO mode enables the "Welcome home" lighting feature. I already have the garage light come on, so it's something I don't really need.

Maybe the best solution is to turn the AUTO mode off. Then AUTO on, once you're out of the garage, but that still keeps you needing to check to make sure your lights are on at appropriate times. Problem is that a lot of people stop thinking about checking "automatic" stuff and as a result can miss having full lighting in critical situations.

Guess I'm still old school. I've always shut down all electricals (excepts lights at night), when approaching home to avoid unnecessary battery drain. I am a bit surprised that whenever you start the car, the auto climate control automatically starts up at the first fan speed, even if it was previously turned off. Same goes for the stereo (I realize it needs to be on for Bluetooth use). So startup has me going through this procedure:
- get in
- insert key
- fire up engine
- do up seatbelt
- mute stereo
- turn on PSE (wish it didn't default to off each time)
- turn off AC fan
- undo parking brake
- back out of garage
- hit HomeLink button to close garage door
- lower roof
- lower windows (that might be optional now as temps drop). Why do they have the windows go up when I put the roof down?
- check mirrors
- check engine info and tire info
- by this time, the engine has dropped to normal idle speed and I'm ready to drive off.
Thanks.... I'll keep that in mind
Joanne in OC - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 9:49:13 am
It doesn't rain much here. When it does, I don't drive the Boxster. People here don't know how to drive in the rain and accidents are on every corner. I think my first Boxster saw the rain 2 times and that was because it rained after I left. It's usually dark here when it rains, haven't seen it rain with sunshine. ....... Even during the day, my lights come on when I'm in the garage with the door open. Maybe I have a dark garage.

Joanne
Re: Thanks.... I'll keep that in mind
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 12:00:10 pm
Joanne in OC
Even during the day, my lights come on when I'm in the garage with the door open. Maybe I have a dark garage.

Joanne

I think that's probably normal. Mine did the same thing when I tried using AUTO setting. Most likely, your garage has one light bulb come on when you open the door. The lighting system sensor likely sees that as "dusk" setting and turns the lights on, then off when you pull out of the garage into that bright California sunshine ......sigh. If you ever have too much sunshine, fell free to send some out way. smiling smiley
Congrats! and for those looking...
Eric (Plug Guy) - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 6:52:29 am
We are SmartTop distributors. smiling smiley
Re: Just installed the SmartTop smiling bouncing smileythumbs up
BLKBOXS - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 9:44:46 am
I would assume for the 986/987 that you still would need to be inside the car to unlatch and latch the convertible lock..how about for the 981?

MIKELLIG
No manual latch. *NM*
Laz - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 10:27:21 am
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Offer
Boxsterra - Saturday, 26 October, 2013, at 12:14:27 pm
Re: Offer
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 30 October, 2013, at 5:09:59 am
She came to pick it up......I'm still recovering!!!!

I still have the 'One Touch', but my Platinum Card is maxed out eye popping smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login