Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
IMS fix
sdm100 - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 8:02:06 pm
Can anyone help explain the difference between the following IMS fixes

1. IMS form Vertexauto

2. Pedros Techno Fix DOF

3. Flat 6 Innovations IMS solution

Very confusing to say the least
... both the Vertex, the Flat 6 and the LN Engineering versions believe that the IMS bearing is weak and therefore they replace the OEM arrangement.
Vertex simply replaces the OEM IMS bearing with a roller bearing. For the '97 - '05 engines.
Flat 6 IMS Solution is a redesign of the OEM arrangement which uses a flat, plain bearing with an oil pressure fed arrangement. Only for the '00 - '05 engines.
LN Engineering offers a ceramic ball bearing replacement for the '97 - '05 engines.

The Direct Oil Feed (DOF) believes that the bearings are not the problem; it's the lack of proper lubrication.
It's a simple retrofit of the flange which includes an oil injection system to put a stream of cooled, filtered oil on the open end of the IMS bearing.
The DOF can be installed on the OEM double row and both versions of the single row bearings.
The DOF can be installed on the LNE ceramic bearing.
The DOF can be installed on Vertex' roller bearing.
There is a DOF for every engine from '97 through '08.
We believe that the so called "splash" lubrication on the Vertex and LNE bearings as well as on a seal-less OEM bearing is not enough and that's why the DOF was offered.

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Shouldn't you add
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 3:24:36 pm
The LN ceramic bearing approach also does not use one of the seals the OEM used. This is said to allow oil to more easily penetrate and lube the bearing especially at startup when the load is greatest.

The first IMS "fix" approach I knew of was in the UK which used the OEM bearing without the seal. Pelican offers a similar approach. And there are other low volume offerings.
... because on every board that I post anything about the DOF you track me down, take my competitor's side and attack mine.
I can deal with it, it just gets tiring having to repeat myself so many times, but It's your right in a free society.

mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
Shouldn't you add... the LN ceramic bearing approach also does not use one of the seals the OEM used. This is said to allow oil to more easily penetrate and lube the bearing especially at startup when the load is greatest.

The first IMS "fix" approach I knew of was in the UK which used the OEM bearing without the seal. Pelican offers a similar approach. And there are other low volume offerings.

I've said that our DOF can be installed on an LNE ceramic bearing and quoting from above: "We believe that the so called "splash" lubrication on the Vertex and LNE bearings as well as on a seal-less OEM bearing is not enough and that's why the DOF was offered"
Where am I saying that the LNE is sealed?
I am reiterating that all IMS bearings in the M96/M97 engines whether sealed or open have a lubrication problem. If you want to take care of this problem, install the DOF. One of the installation steps is to remove the outer seal on the IMSB if present so that the stream of pressurized (not splashed) oil can reach into the rotating surfaces of the bearing.

I did not address the UK products because I was answering a direct question where the OP specifically mentioned the referenced US-based IMS products.

Happy DOF'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Pedro-How much shop time to install Direct Oil Feed?
tom coughlin - Tuesday, 22 October, 2013, at 5:44:55 pm
How much labor time should one expect to incur to have it installed? Thanks, Tom
It's 10 - 14 hours depending on the type of transmission and drivetrain.
In FL we charge $1,885 for a DOF with installation on a manual RWD Boxster, Carrera or Cayman.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login