Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Wonder if it hinders rear or side vision
MikenOH - Tuesday, 22 October, 2013, at 12:43:56 pm
I pulled the windblocker on our 981 at delivery and it hasn't been back in due to how it limits rear vision.
The final product suggested by these drawings might be a better solution to what is currently in place, but the devil is in the details.
Re: Wonder if it hinders rear or side vision
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 23 October, 2013, at 1:00:12 pm
... Guaranteed not to hinder rear or side vision... the TechNOwind for your 981.

[pedrosgarage.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

It even fits left-hand-drive and right-hand drive cars winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 10:57AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Re: Wonder if it hinders rear or side vision
chris & 987 - Sunday, 3 November, 2013, at 12:24:07 pm
MikenOH
I pulled the windblocker on our 981 at delivery and it hasn't been back in due to how it limits rear vision.
The final product suggested by these drawings might be a better solution to what is currently in place, but the devil is in the details.

Does pedro or another shop offer a decent priced windscreen kit, preferably glass versus plexi. Last I checked at suncoast I beleive the going rate was approx $400+! Although I dont mind someone making an honest buck off me if its a solid product but REALLY, 400$ for a small piece of plain glass and crappy looking black rollbar inserts!
We do not use plexi ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 4 November, 2013, at 11:02:25 am
..... in our kit.
We use clear polycarbonate Lexan which is better than glass to make the TechNOwind.
It's lighter than glass has a higher impact absorption range and will not shatter.
It's also DOT approved for automotive use.

Technolab does not offer a TechNOwind for the 987 or the 986 because Porsche already has one.

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

No longer the Bayer product "Makrolon?"
Laz - Wednesday, 6 November, 2013, at 2:10:18 pm
If not materially the same, is Lexan better, i.e. more scratch resistant than the hardened Makrolon I believe you were using for the second TechNOwind version.
Pedro Bonilla

Thanks.
Laz - Wednesday, 6 November, 2013, at 7:41:45 pm
I suppose the 986 factory windstop is coated Lexan/Makrolan as I don't recall it being susceptible to scratching. Might order the new version.
Re: Windblocker of the future?
Eric (Plug Guy) - Wednesday, 23 October, 2013, at 9:09:40 pm
What I don't understand, and never have, is this: it's a freaking convertible! I'm a cab guy, have been for a very long time.

When I put the top down, I expect wind! If I don't want wind I leave the top up.

So much overkill for something that should not matter. Maybe I just don't get it, but yes, I see a few folks driving cabs with the windows up and I just shake my head. Oh well, to each his/her own. I like the Pedro version though - nice job.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 23 October, 2013, at 10:38:03 pm
I agree with you, Eric. Best way to drive a convertible is with top and windows down. But, it depends on the weather. How often do you drive with the top down with temps in the 40's in the Carolinas? 40 and sunny is nice with the top down if you can cut out the wind with windows up and windblock. Once temps are in the 60's and up, you don't need window up. Much better with the top down.
NC in the 30s F this week.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 2:52:29 pm
And snow in WVA yesterday. 41 F (5 C) when I got the paper this AM (yea, that dates me).

I used the top down windows up in the cool frequently. Also killed the noise. The wind blocker in the 986s was always there, never took it off. Now in the warm ....
marty - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 5:47:17 am
Pedro, is it bullet proof..?

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
It won't...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 9:09:14 am
... shard if broken in an accident. it's USDOT approved for automotive use.
Now if you want a bullet proof version we can build you the TechNOlead for an additional fee smiling smiley
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 10:25:30 am
Having used Pedro's TechNoWind for the past 3 months, my experience has been that it is as effective as the OEM windblock that came with the 987. The biggest difference I've noticed is that the TechNoWind doesn't flex, and therefore doesn't rattle like the one in my 987 did at higher speeds. In terms of visibility, it's a lot better than the OEM screen that comes with the 981. The 981 OEM screen has a frame all around which cuts down on the viewing area and the screen makes it much more difficult to see through - specially when driving along tree lined roads with all the shadows. Pedro's TechNoWind eliminates both of these problems.
"At higher speeds"
Roger987 - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 11:12:40 am
Hmmm... I have a recent memory of that joint experience. smiling smiley To be clear, nothing over the posted speed limit, of course.

My 987's factory windblocker shakes like a leaf when the temps drop below about 70 F. In that regard, it's very much sub-par.
Re: "At higher speeds"
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 12:40:39 pm
Roger987
Hmmm... I have a recent memory of that joint experience. smiling smiley To be clear, nothing over the posted speed limit, of course.
quote]

Well, when talking about "higher speeds" I was of course referring to limits outside the city. However, hypothetically speaking, I'm sure that even at none-posted speeds, the TechNoWind would not vibrate. winking smiley
Don't worry, I tested it at 150 mph...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 12:45:59 pm
... at Sebring so that you all can enjoy it at the legal posted highway speeds.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: Don't worry, I tested it at 150 mph...
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 12:51:20 pm
And enjoy it I do, Pedro, even if I've never had a chance to drive it at Sebring.
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 12:41:07 pm
Are you suggesting that G-man got above 70 mph, given all his fancy racing options? I'm shocked! winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 25 October, 2013, at 12:48:16 pm
Gary in SoFL
Are you suggesting that G-man got above 70 mph, given all his fancy racing options? I'm shocked! winking smiley

Not racing options. It's handling options to stay safe even if one should encounter slightly elevated speeds. winking smiley
I have that option too, but don't intend to drive it in snow (and the salt that's mixed in with it around here.)
...in all of us, I guess. But as obsessive as you are about both cleaning and cruising in your non-track kid racer I find that most odd. You must go through withdrawal pains being celibate almost half the year. I know...different strokes.

How about this for your washing collection:

This:

Salt Away so G-man can cruise all year cool smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
How many miles on your 991? *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 26 October, 2013, at 12:22:47 am
How much allowance do you get?
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 26 October, 2013, at 11:27:49 am
PS

I used to earn an allowance when I was a kid living at home.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 01:37AM by Laz. (view changes)
So, the smart move is to have PTV in Florida, too. *NM*
Laz - Saturday, 26 October, 2013, at 11:09:15 am
PTV only works while the wheels are on the ground.
The Sport setting effect is noticeable in crosswinds, such as when crossing a large bridge.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 12:58PM by Laz. (view changes)
But, that might be a bit too much for the elderly driving on those rough winter ravaged Florida roads when the temperatures plunge into the frigid 60's.
You do dry well. *NM*
grant - Sunday, 27 October, 2013, at 11:36:33 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 3 November, 2013, at 12:25:37 pm
Pedro:

Why aren't windscreens made of windshielf material?

And do you have a Technowind available for the 987-2?

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
chris & 987 - Tuesday, 5 November, 2013, at 4:09:37 pm
he commented earlier that he did not. intimated that he doesnt offer this because porsche still offers its version of the product. IMHO there are a few shops that do offer these but they are all plain jane plexicrap and the costs ($400+) and quality suck. No demand. No market.

Im sure there are differing view but $400 bucks for a small piece of plexi and black inserts. counter intuitive
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login