Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
R&R was.

Passenger side engine camshaft cover off and cams out.

New actuator is in.

But tech told me he (and I) dodged a bullet. One of the camshaft bearing allen head cap screws was stripped. Not the threaded portion, thank Goodness!, but the head end the hex hole where the tool bit of course grips. Still a potentially serious problem.

Tech managed to hammer a hex tool bit in and it gripped enough to remove the bolt.

Had he not been successful, he told me I was almost certainly looking at an engine drop/install cause there is not enough room to drill out the bolt. I would have searched high/low for a right-angle drill motor though you can be sure of that!

Now this engine has never been apart so that bolt's hex head was stripped during engine assembly.

But tech managed to remove the bolt and a new bolt is at hand and parts are ready for assembly.

I took more pics but honestly there's nothing to see. This is good news. No wear showing at all. As I have promised I will post pics just so you can see what there is to see.

Maybe I'll have the car back tomorrow though Wed. looking more likely. (I have to be in Foster City on business tomorrow from 6pm until ? so even if the car finished I wouldn't be able to pick it up until very late Tuesday night anyway.)

Oh, while checking out my car I spotted a nice white used 2008 Cayman S. Tan interior. Tip. Car came from a Porsche auction. Do not know the auction location. Car is originally from Texas. I'm not sure of the miles but 38K miles comes to mind. Car looks pretty darn good but not for me.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Marc:
That is good news.

When you say "no wear", what parts are we talking about?
MikenOH
Marc:
That is good news.

When you say "no wear", what parts are we talking about?

against.

Best as I can tell the actuator guides (composite plastic -- caramel colored) look like new. The camshaft chain sprocket teeth show no signs of hooking. (Look at an ill-maintained motorcycle's rear sprocket for what this looks like.) The chain rollers show no signs of wear.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
good news indeed...
JM-Stamford,CT - Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, at 9:42:28 am
Of course, it leaves a question as to the much vaunted manufacturing process.

Hopefully you will get your car back - good as new.
Good mechanic; nice catch! *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, at 10:50:35 am
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login