Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Pentosin....
Byron in Atlanta - Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, at 4:50:29 pm
what the hell is this stuff made of, liquid gold?
Only here it’s the Porsche logo………………

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
It is the lifeblood of a hydraulic system that provides power for the car's steering system and in the Turbo power for the power assisted clutch.

IOWs, it ain't Mazzola Corn Oil.

And it would appear that it does not require frequent replacement. I may be mistaken but I don't think there's a call out on power steering fluid replacement (though some owners have done this on their own and good for them!)

In my considerable time with my Boxster I never had to bother with this fluid and I don't think at any service the car required any of this fluid.

The Turbo goes in for a new clutch accumulator probably next week (as soon as the Boxster's done) and at that time some Pentosin fluid will be required but since the accumulator job covered by CPO warranty I don't think I'll even have to buy any fluid.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
As for changing it, it has been an issue for cars that are tracked heavily and tend to over heat the power steering system, which usually also claims the pump as well. Several aftermarket shops have been looking at developing cooler kits for the power steering, including LN Engineering.

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 06:38PM by JFP in PA. (view changes)
but i presume you mean their power steering fluid. There are two varieties, widely used in german cars. The earlier version (7?) and the later (11s). The earlier is mineral oil. The latter is fully synthetic replacement. Yea, its costly, but it is very good. And i buy it a fairly sane prices from NAPA locally, and even better via my long standing indie and his distro.

[www.amazon.com]

Grant
Re: Pentosin....
jg wnc - Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, at 9:56:14 pm
I've got a can that is 95% full. Let me know if you need some right away.
Thanks All...was being a bit facetious....
Byron in Atlanta - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 11:09:41 am
I bought a can to refill my system after the engine swap and just thought it was a bit expensive!
I'd bet General Jack D. Ripper would concur! *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 20 January, 2011, at 6:59:17 pm
Re: Pentosin....
Laz - Thursday, 20 January, 2011, at 7:03:15 pm
caig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 07:07PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login