Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
weird problem
boxsterd - Friday, 22 November, 2013, at 1:57:23 am
So today I picked up my car from the shop after I got a new GAHH top with glass window installed.
I drive off and notice the dash warning red light on indicating the hood or trunk is ajar.
I pull over and notice the hood wasn't locked so I press it down and drive off.
After a few blocks the light goes on again.
I pull over and sure enough the hood unlocked so I pressed it down again and drove it.
yup you guess it, it happened again.
After I got to my destination, I got out, and locked the car with the remote.
When I came back and unlocked the car with the remote, I noticed the hood also unlocked.
I didn't use the button to unlock the hood. I used the main button on the remote to unlock the doors.
Unlocking the doors now unlocks the hood. It never used to do this.
It didn't do this before I dropped my car off at the shop to get the new top.
I can't think of anything they could have done to cause this.
I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt and assume it's coincidental, for now.
Any ideas how I can fix this?
Thanks! Oh yeah, it's a 2001.
... left the car out without the top and it rained.
Check under and behind the driver's seat for dampness.
The symptoms you describe sound like a wet CLU.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
That's possible. It was raining when I dropped off my car.
What is the CLU and where is it located?
Do you think I can just wait a few days for it to dry (assuming that's the problem)?
Can I try drying it myself?
Thanks.
The CLU is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 22 November, 2013, at 11:41:41 am
... the Central Locking Unit which is the black box located under the driver's seat.
If you feel any dampness under and around the driver's seat:
Make sure the key is not in the ignition.
Remove the 4 bolts that hold down the seat rail.
Lift the frond end of the seat and disconnect the wiring harness.
Pull the seat out.
Disconnect the black box (CLU) and pull out of the car.
Open the box and look at the circuit board.
If there is any dampness or water droplets or corrosion anywhere on the circuit board, place it in a shallow container and pour isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on it until it completely covers the circuit board.
Leave the circuit board there for 30 minutes.
In the mean time inspect the connectors in the car that plug into the CLU and the seat.
Spray some isopropyl alcohol into the open ends. This disperses (repels) any water.
Pull the circuit board out and shake it dry.
Set it aside to dry. You may use a fan or a hair dryer in the cold setting.
Thoroughly inspect the circuit board on both sides. Look at the base of the chips and components soldered on it and make sure there's no corrosion on the legs. You may use a soft brush.
Reassemble everything.
Good luck.
happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: The CLU is ...
boxsterd - Saturday, 23 November, 2013, at 2:19:14 am
I didn't feel any dampness. The carpet around and under the seat is dry.
It's very strange. It's like they reprogrammed something in my car so if the driver's side door unlocks, the hood unlocks too.
If I unlock the driver's side door either with the remote, or by inserting the key and turning it, the hood unlocks too.
Strange. I just hope it's not expensive to resolve. I have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday.
Any ideas for a fix before then appreciated.
Electronic gremlins?
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 23 November, 2013, at 7:21:48 am
Any other electronic problems? Does the key feel any different in the ignition, maybe difficult to turn or get out?

That might indicate the electric portion of the ignition switch. That can cause all kinds of different, seemingly unrelated electronic problems.
Pedro is the MAN *NM*
newt - Friday, 22 November, 2013, at 6:41:32 pm
Re: weird problem
boxsterd - Tuesday, 26 November, 2013, at 11:35:39 pm
Well I took my car to the dealer and they said the installer broke the microswitch which was causing the hood to open with the doors. I have no idea why the microswitch would do that. The good news is the installer told me they would pay for any repairs. But it gets more weird - the problem is now fixed! I noticed after I got my car back from the dealer opening the door no longer opens the hood. Could it be the microswitch wasn't broken, but just "stuck", and them inspecting it "unstuck" it? I don't know. I'm taking it to the installer and have them look at it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login