Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
996TT brakes on 986 help me figure it out
Frissen - Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, at 8:50:48 pm
I figure I will do full brake pad/rotor change for next year on both 996TT and 986.

So far this is what I have figured out:

996TT - Brembo 2 pc rotors with Pagid Pads.

986 - Zimmerman drilled rotors and haven't decided on pads.

now here is the crazy idea... if I decided to upgrade the 996TT with either a 997TT/GT3 brake kit or Brembo's own big brake kit can I use the left over 996TT brakes on my 986?

What do you guys think?
Re: 996TT brakes on 986 help me figure it out
DFW02S - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 12:12:40 am
I think yes, but I'm not sure there's a benefit because the front calipers on my 996TT seem to be the same as on my 986S. I can't speak with any surety about the rears.
That's from memory though so don't bet the farm on it.
You should be able to ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 9:55:23 am
... bolt on the front brakes of the TT on the 986 (if your wheels are big enough - 18").
The rears, leave them alone.
The rotors are not interchangeable because the early Boxsters use the rear rotor's internal structure as a drum for the e-brake.
Also, if you increase the rear brake's capacity it upsets the balance and you'll get into trouble when trail braking.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
is it better with the frozen rotors? *NM*
Clif R - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 1:01:23 pm
FWIW...I am done with cross drilled rotors.
Byron in Atlanta - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 10:56:55 am
If you are doing any DE's or track days, consider this. After two track day events, my last set of Porsche Boxster S rotors were done, with cracks extending over 1/4" from most of the holes. I am considering slotted for this season. I have used those in the past with good stopping power and increased longevity.
Re: FWIW...I am done with cross drilled rotors.
Frissen - Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, at 7:09:22 pm
Ok, let's leave the swapping idea out and think replacement for now... BTW mine is a 2.7 986...

What rotors? Zimmerman ok?

What pads? Pagid? if so which ones?
Re: FWIW...I am done with cross drilled rotors.
DFW02S - Thursday, 20 January, 2011, at 1:04:49 am
I agree that slotted rotors are > cross drilled, especially if they are drilled holes and not cast.
Over time I learned that drilled rotors really enjoy a good cool down lap, the longer the better.
Here are my rotors after 14k miles which includes 1k track miles.

Yes, they are outside of Porsche spec, but they looked like this for 4k miles and I had no problems at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login