Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Re: Happy Thanksgiving everyone! You bet
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 28 November, 2013, at 1:57:38 pm
You got it right, Mer.

The day I picked it up. Christmas present 5 months early. cool smiley

Re: Happy Thanksgiving everyone! You bet
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Thursday, 28 November, 2013, at 7:18:52 pm
Happy to do it!

Here is the CURVN8R on the Dragon at BRBS this year with a few friends:

And here at Road Atlanta for the parade lap for the Petit Lemans.

That's Dianne holding onto her cap!
My car is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, at 10:05:05 am
... the third one in Lawdevil's photo, in between Andre and Jeff.
Still the original '98 although most of it is not original anymore winking smiley

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Love it! *NM*
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, at 2:41:13 pm
[www.planet-9.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2013 09:50PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Beautiful! Congratulations! *NM*
Meredith in Atlanta - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 8:30:38 am
I love the new Boxster! *NM*
Meredith in Atlanta - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 5:56:47 pm
What Guenter didn't mention is...
Roger987 - Thursday, 28 November, 2013, at 2:27:55 pm
because he couldn't find a GT Silver 987 like mine, he had to settle for a custom-ordered 981. Judging from the permagrin, he appears to be coping ok. winking smiley

My 987 on the Blue Ridge Parkway...

Giving Thanks for being able to own a car and a driveway:
Laz - Thursday, 28 November, 2013, at 2:39:50 pm

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Giving thanks to all that help protect us and our freedoms.
986rgt - Thursday, 28 November, 2013, at 6:21:06 pm
Hope everyone here was able to be with their loved ones today, and if not, may you be with them soon.

Still puttering around in my almost "Classic" 1999...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
I purchased mine at Newport Beach Porsche California and was delivered May 10 2010.

2006 Boxster S 987, 12 K miles, driven by the original owner who took great care.

Besides the sheer enjoyment of driving this car, the best part of Porsche ownership is the People we meet.smiling smiley

MIKELLIG
I still have my speed yellow 986S
newt - Thursday, 28 November, 2013, at 9:23:55 pm
Here I am at Oak Tree a few years ago before the tree died sad smiley
a 2009 997S Cab that just went off waranty two weeks ago (photo taken at the church where the Big Chill funeral took place)

Here I am the end of Aug 2013, picking up my new 981 smiling smiley ..... It was an exciting day and one that I didn't think was going to happen

... while not a typical alarm option, besides being reasonable mechanics, they are also highly effective deterrents against car theft by birds, squirrels, and small rodents.

Well let's see...
grant - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 12:24:15 pm
I still have my 2004 5-sp base,

[i44.tinypic.com]

and nearly 10 years later:

[i39.tinypic.com]

My original Porsche has been returned to mostly street duty, but its always ready with fresh brake fluid and track pads :-)

but as of this year, i also have a "new to me" 2000 986S that I'm making into a mostly-track-car ( but still street legal). Its been a fun project, documented in a series of 3 articles in NNJR's "Porscheforus", but maybe I'll get them up here too..:

Here's an "in process" picture:

[i40.tinypic.com]

And the finished product ( guess where?):

[i40.tinypic.com]

204,000 miles and counting. This is going to be a really nice track car as i learn to drive it.

Oh, did I forget this? I'll track anything i guess....
(VIR, 2012)
[i42.tinypic.com]

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Guessing where..
Roger987 - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 1:37:29 pm
On a race course, kicking Cayman butt. winking smiley

Nice job.
Re: Guessing where..
MikenOH - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 1:57:42 pm
Roger987

Nice job.

WGI--in the tip of the boot (I think).

Roger, when I enlarged the pics, it appeared Grant was just starting to give the Cayman a point over to pass winking smiley .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2013 02:20PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Roger987 - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 2:24:07 pm
I don't know much about racing - does the driver typically use his middle finger to gesture a point-over to pass? winking smiley
MikenOH - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 4:36:46 pm
Roger987
I don't know much about racing - does the driver typically use his middle finger to gesture a point-over to pass? winking smiley

It's possible to use the middle finger, but then again you may have to deal the person you gave that pass to in the paddock area if he takes offense to it grinning smiley.

I play it safe and use the index finger or the whole hand to avoid confusion..
WGI and tip of the boot it is!
grant - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 3:47:51 pm
No point by going on (at least not yet, i don't really recall), but the middle finger has been used on occasion....:-)

Ultimately, any CaymanS is quite a bit faster than me in a straight line, so it is inevitable on a well driven car......

981Ses are rockets, comparatively.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2013 03:58PM by grant. (view changes)
Dave In MD - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 7:13:45 am
Roger987

Just sold the Boxster 2 weeks ago to a friend. It's really not the cars, it's the people.

This is my current ride. Still playing with the Boxsters on the track.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Good pics, Grant.
MikenOH - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 1:51:29 pm
What's on the list of things still to do on the "S"?
Technosump; 6-pt restraints are next. Ultimately a cage.
grant - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 3:56:39 pm
I'm concerned with oil starvation (Harry's reports regular flirting with 1G and peaks > 1.1G) - so I've ordered a Technosump from our friend and host, and will report back once i put it on. Pedro's design looks to be truly the best of the field, - like the BK and the larger LN units, its a deep sump (2+ qts) and baffled, but the baffling that looks like a unique advance on the Technosump. Rather than simply provide a barrier against side-to-side sloshing, Pedro has in effect created a lower cavity, with a roof, and a drain cutout at its center. Oil checks in but can't check out.

I'm also getting 6-pt harnesses and likely a HANS.

The car was running great at VIR. By the end even I was running more of less great - vastly more confidence than I had at earlier events with the "new" car. So i see little need to change anything performance-wise. Now I'll focus on longevity - of the motor and me.

Ultimately a cage provides both a performance benefit and a safety benefit, with a convenience loss. But that's why i have two cars!

Grant

Grant

Those sound like good additions for a track only car
MikenOH - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 4:49:49 pm
Oil starvation on the track is a concern on these cars, so what ever you can do to hold the oil around the pickup will prolong engine life.

Next year I'm hoping to add another data field on the RC data logger to track oil pressure, if I can influence the developer to add it. Right now it will record water/oil temps but has nothing for oil pressure even though the car will display it.

The harness will definitely help as will the HANS.
Oh, and likely a set of something like these.....
grant - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 9:40:33 pm
[www.pelicanparts.com]

Grant

Re: Oh, and likely a set of something like these.....
MikenOH - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 9:43:05 pm
Going to wheel studs/nuts?
Grant

Could be your car's sister !!!
EricG - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 3:53:51 pm
The Black & Tan in action - now waiting in the garage for minor plastic surgery !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2013 03:54PM by EricG. (view changes)
Original '98, 126k smiles
SMILIN - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 9:58:57 pm
Welcome back.

My son was 2 when I got the car, and now...

SMILIN
aka doug_d
aka doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)
aka Doug smiling smiley
What a great pic
Joanne in OC - Friday, 29 November, 2013, at 10:11:58 pm
My granddaughter was 9 months in this picture with my '99 986. As soon as she was put behind the wheel her nose went in the air. Have no idea what caused the attitude. When she was 5, she turned the radio off and told me to go faster..... She's now 12 years old and only 4 more years 'til she's driving. She's already asking to drive the Boxster.

Re: What a great pic
SMILIN - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 11:25:47 am
Thanks Joanne. It sounds like you've got a perfectly adjusted granddaughter! smiling smiley My daughter is now 14, and she's itching to drive too.
'08 Boxster S (RS 60 Spyder)
Bob G - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 9:14:04 am
1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Ditto again, #1088 with red leather interior and black top. Did my first DE with it this fall and WOW! This car continues to impress.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Mine's #93. Bought it May '12 as a CPO, with my '99 Boxster as a trade-in . A year earlier I had looked at an RS 60 with the charcoal interior, but hesitated; by the time I returned it was gone.

Love the car, tho I had a stubborn CEL issue this past summer. Glad it was still on warranty. Everything else about the car has been extremely positive!
Bobtesa - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 10:21:35 am
Traded my 99 for the RS60 in 2009 when I read on this board (then ppbb) about some very good deals following the financial meltdown. I had a choice between the red and charcoal interiors. I chose charcoal, but w/o a doubt the GT silver, red combo is the better looking car. In fact, IMHO, the GT silver/red is, if not the best, is easily one of the best looking Boxsters.

I replaced the yellow front side lights with clear, removed the rear logo, and replaced the hub caps with cheapo caps from Suncoast that have "RS" on them. Almost forgot, I also don't have your wheels. Before buying the car I found that I could not get my hand between the wheel's spokes, so I asked if they would switch the wheels out from another new car on the lot. No problem. Again, your wheels are better looking than mine, I just didn't want to have to take the wheels off for every wash, but I still remove the wheels about 3 times from May-Sept for complete clean/wax.

Is it "more fun" than my 99? No. I like the added power, but the basic fun of driving is pretty much the same in both cars.
My '99
Bob G - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 10:44:09 am
Bobtesa, I enjoyed my '99, (Arctic Silver/Black/Black) bought new, for 14 years.

I remember people calling the 2.5 Boxster slow. Well, "slow" and "fast" are relative terms, but I often felt that those who said that needed some practice driving it properly.

Of course, once you hit 4K in the '08 S, you are LAUNCHED! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Re: My '99 - and speaking of power
Bobtesa - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 11:31:09 am
For sure, 4k+ and those horses get you moving, but I'd sure like a tranny that let's me do that routinely in ore gears. I, for one, think our Baxster's (and 911's) are geared wrong. The 99's with 200 hp should have had 6 gears to better use the limited power. What I would like in my 08 with 300 hp is a 4-speed with an overdrive 5th gear. Our cars are designed for driving in Germany where taking 4th to 115 before upshifting (to 5h or 6th) makes sense. I wish Porsche would make a tranny for U. S. driving: 1-4th get you say about 80 or 90 mph with a 5th gear that lets you cruise at 75 at about 2,200 rpms. I find that i skip 4th and 5th routinely when getting to highway speed and shift to 6th. Having said that, I guess that would mean having 2 tranny options for the U.S. market, one for non-DE'ers, and one for DE'ers who can make good use all of those gears at higher speeds.
I often skip 5th on upshifts.
Bob G - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 11:50:29 am
Have to agree on the gearing, Bob. Of course, has Porsche ever considered US driving conditions in gearing its North America-bound cars?
Re: I often skip 5th on upshifts.
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 5:48:38 pm
OK, finally remembered how to post pictures. Love showing it off anyway. Purchased new in 2009 like BobTesa said - sitting on a dealer lot with no takers.

First boxster was a 2001 986 triple black.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Re: I often skip 5th on upshifts.
Bob G - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 5:56:32 pm
Really nice, Doug! I added the clear side-markers and colored center caps after the pic was taken. What # is yours?
I have pretty much never needed more power on public roads than i have with my base 5-sp (ok 2.7, but an old one).

1st is for pulling stumps. 2nd is good to 70 mph. 3rd is good to > 100 mph (i've bounced off the rev limiter at the track at ~ 105). This means i can have the motor in the power-band on secondary roads (2nd gear, 30-60 mph) and on the highway (3rd gear, 45-90 mph).

On the track i have never, ever used 5th gear. 4th is good to 130, and there are very very few tracks where i can get up to 130 mph (maybe Pocono). I do use 5th on my "S", but that has a) more power and b) lower 4th and 5th gears.

I'll ack that even more gears would be nice, but not at the expense of a gaping hole between what would in effect be today's 3rd gear and something higher than 5th. The real solution would be an 8-speed, which is exactly what's happening in the automatic world, and we now have 7 gears in the Porsche Manual world. Note that at some point the dangers of a mis-shift will raise their ugly head. I see it more often that i'd like at the track even today where you have "left rail, right rail and center" - nice and simple.

Grant

Grant

I alternate
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 11:29:50 am
The 2003 boxster is for warmer days, and the 2007 cayman is my practical winter car.

[www.tapir.caltech.edu]
2001 Boxster S - Purchased Nov 2008 with 19,000M; now in 2013, it has 32,000M...still looks brand new... and that is the unfortunate reason I am holding off buying a 981 until i retire... this car is too nice not to keep it...:-)

Re: Our's is the same one you've seen before.
MikelSr - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 6:09:29 pm
We still have the same 986. Bought it in 2003 and still need to get another few years out of it (we keep them 10-15 years) but then again the new Caymans and Boxsters are looking very good!

'09 Boxster S -- 39K mi and going strong
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 9:06:12 pm
Here's my wife Lisa (and a piece of my finger I didn't even know was there when the pic was just in my phone, lol) getting ready for her next run at the Northeast Region PCA D.E. at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, August 2, '13:

Hey Leor . . .
Bob G - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 10:46:09 am
I think we met you folks in Lake Placid a couple of years ago, right?
Re: Hey Leor . . .
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, at 2:50:32 am
Yup, indeed. I don't believe we've managed to get away to participate in a TSBL event since... this summer has basically been an extended honeymoon for me with my new (to me) BMW R1200RT, so lots of riding, not quite as much 4-wheeling...
Here you go
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 11:58:24 am
2010 base manual transmission Midnight Blue Metallic. 14 way power seats and Bose sound.

[i153.photobucket.com]
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Meredith! I'm still driving my '99 with 125k miles, plenty to be thankful for!
She probably feels a bit ignored since she has to share pleasure drives with my '88 911.

An album with some of my favorite car related pics. The pic at Mt. Baldy Rd. or Santiago Cyn Rd. is the way she looks now (Fiske wheels and de-ambered head and rear lights):

[s1284.photobucket.com]

Glad to see you are back in the Boxster fold!

Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2013 10:31PM by Tony in Whittier. (view changes)
Still here....
Clam - Thursday, 5 December, 2013, at 8:23:29 pm
just hit 88k on my MY 2000. Congrats on your new beauty.

Clam

2012 base Boxster.
Jeff (Philly) - Friday, 6 December, 2013, at 9:31:50 am
See details in web page greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster/

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Re: 2012 base Boxster.
Meredith in Atlanta - Friday, 6 December, 2013, at 11:21:32 am
Two beauties - the 986 and the new (Cognac?) 987!
Jeff (Philly) - Friday, 6 December, 2013, at 12:02:24 pm
Meredith, Welcome back to the Boxster world.

Color is not Cognac.

Boxster number four is:

Exterior Color is Macadamia Metallic
Interior Color is Sand Beige
Top Color: Cocoa
Cayman S II 18" Wheels
Makassar Interior wood trim

See web page: greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster/

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 6 December, 2013, at 12:35:05 pm
Jeff, I don't remember if you'd mentioned whether you custom ordered it. It's a rich looking colour combo. You don't see too many Boxsters with the wood interior. Unique and beautiful.
mentioned seeing a brown Porsche and found it striking. There was not enough time on the offer to custom order so I went to my sales rep Eric Exley at Conshohocken Porsche near here. I told him what I wanted and he found it up north of here in the Lehigh valley. I especially liked the wood shift knob,

The reason for the Porsche NA offer, I believe, was to move the 2012 before the 2013 was announced
Jeff (Philly)
mentioned seeing a brown Porsche and found it striking. There was not enough time on the offer to custom order so I went to my sales rep Eric Exley at Conshohocken Porsche near here. I told him what I wanted and he found it up north of here in the Lehigh valley. I especially liked the wood shift knob,

The reason for the Porsche NA offer, I believe, was to move the 2012 before the 2013 was announced

Interesting because I don't recall seeing on with wood interior in a showroom. I'm sure you're not very likely to see another one exactly like it. It is a rich looking car.
My absolute favorite color combination!
jg wnc - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 10:36:18 am
Saw a dealer loaner on the road in this color. Beautiful! When I get my 981 (someday), those are the colors that I will be shooting for.
Here's my 2000 2.7, daily driver
Tom F. - Friday, 6 December, 2013, at 4:10:52 pm
up to 100K miles now. Photo is a candid taken by the local authoritiies
[i920.photobucket.com]
base 2001 5 speed. *NM*
boxsterd - Friday, 6 December, 2013, at 10:52:42 pm
2001 Boxster S with 104K
1973 TR6 with ???, 40 years
Glad we didn't drive either of these up I-81 to Washington DC the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

Jim, 2001 Boxster S, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1956 Triumph TR3
A little late posting but here I am:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login