Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
How cars are made on the velocity channel-Porsche 911
MikenOH - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 10:13:59 am
This program was first aired back in June, but if you haven't watched the program it's very instructive on how the 911 and Boxsters are built.
the show centers around the complete construction process of the 911 model, but a lot of the techniques applied to the 981 also.
It was aired Wednesday on the velocity channel in a series of other sports cars.
If it's the one starts with a 991 driving on a country road, it's probably the same one I have saved on my PVR. Shows how the vehicle is dipped into the undercoating several times, to make sure that there's no spot of bar metal where rust could start. The whole assembly is pretty interesting. Even watching someone assemble an engine, testing it and mating it with the tranny and then how the whole thing is matched up with the correct car as it's moving down the assembly line.
Yup, that's the one with the GR 911 on it.
MikenOH - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 5:58:50 pm
Based on the technology shown in this segment, the art of building a Porsche has changed considerably since 2000, when we visited this plant.

Lots more robots and automation through out the plant to increase productivity, quality and the bottom line.
Re: Yup, that's the one with the GR 911 on it.
Tony in Whittier - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 9:58:51 pm
That is what I remember about robots in 2001 when I visited. Only 1 was used then. There are a few mistakes in the show. They mention the use of the 3.4l motor (Should be 3.6 or 3.8). They also show and say that they are connecting the long exhaust sections in the central hump which are really the coolant tubes to the front radiators. How long are the dual exhaust tubes on a 911? They go a short route to the bumper. I thought about contacting velocity on that issue. smileys with beer
BillM - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 11:20:21 pm
Also referred to the engine as a V6 - more than once.
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 10:12:14 am
I agree about the automation helping productivity and quality. I thought the "bath" in the primer is such an important part of keeping the cars from rusting. All it takes is one spot of bare metal and then rust begins. If it weren't for computers to control parts being shipped/arriving on demand and robots, there'd be no way Porsche would be able to produce a car with so many variables and options. I'm still impressed by the fact that my car started production only 3 weeks after I ordered it.

I can remember when you used to be able to choose from 2 or 3 levels of trim in a car and which colour you wanted. That was about it.

In terms of bottom line - that's good for both Porsche and us, the customers. Just for comparison. I remember the exact cost of the silver Targa that made me fall in love a Porsche back in 1969. It sat on the showroom floor with an eye popping $23,500 price tag. Same price I'd bought a new house for one year earlier. I know that around here, there's no way I'd be able to buy a house for the price of 991 cab today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login