Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Very sad
986rgt - Saturday, 30 November, 2013, at 11:44:47 pm
Looks like the car got torn in half as it should, but it appears like the gas tank did not survive the impact. What makes it even more depressing was it was a drive event for a charity. RIP Mr. Walker

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
RIP, Paul Walker sad smiley
Gary in SoFL - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 12:59:13 am

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
That can be said for most high performance cars.
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 9:47:39 am
It takes a lot of skill to keep it all under control.

This is a very sad case since Paul wasn't even at the wheel.
Agreed, Guenter, but . . .
Bob G - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 10:31:15 am
According to the Autoweek report, its handling is scary, even for professionals.

But sad news, in any case.
"good driver"
dennisafrompa - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 5:02:33 pm
I see where the guy driving was described as a "good driver" by friends. Well good drivers drive according to conditions, circumstances and know their limitations as well as those of the vehicle.

I know it's early in the process but that good driver comment always gets me.
Hey, Dennis, how're you doing? *NM*
Bob G - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 5:28:50 pm
Re: Hey, Dennis, how're you doing?
dennisafrompa - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 7:17:22 am
Alive and well, having fun with the "Bullitt".
Re: "good driver"
db997S - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 12:11:18 pm
You can be a world-class driver, but on public roads, you just never know what's around the next corner. There are no flagmen to throw up yellow cautions.
I'm with you
grant - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 1:25:11 pm
Public roads carry many hazzards - some to you, and sometimes you are the hazard to dogs/kids/elderly road crossers.

No one knows what's coming - debris, sand, oil, water, ice, gravel.

The difference between dry grip and wet grip or sand grip is like 50-70%. So you may be good, but you're not THAT good.

Think about how we walk ( and walk, and walk) autoX circuits looking for every little thing, or feel our way around the track, getting an idea of the current conditions...

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: I'm with you
Roger987 - Tuesday, 3 December, 2013, at 8:41:14 pm
Looking at the wreckage, I can't help but think the officer may have been guilty of an understatement when he commented that "speed may have been a factor".

Maybe a kid or an animal ran out in front of the car, or an oncoming car swerved in front of him, maybe the engine seized, or gushed oil; who knows? But whatever that GT hit, it hit HARD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 08:52PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Fast and the Furious actor Paul Walker was killed in a car crash on Saturday and, according to reports, the driver of the car was Roger Rodas, who has driven in the Pirelli World Challenge.

Rodas and Walker were Porsche enthusiasts and owned a race team together. The Porsche Carrera GT they were in crashed after they drove the car from a charity event.
Re: Star of "Fast & Furious" dies in crash of Carrera GT .
getready - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 9:53:17 am
Hope he gave his heart to the Lord while he was alive. Just goes to show you, you never know the day or the hour when this time on earth is over.
Romans 6:23
John 3:16
I wonder how many Carrera GTs have been crashed and how many have died in those crashes. I now know of at least 4 killed.
Mirror News Article

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
OK. There's no other word than horrific.
grant - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 12:19:04 am
I saw the gallery and the video (which i didnt know exited). I couldn't really see the car approaching to guage speed, but the fireball was nearly instant and enormous. And having hit a wall in a porsche, i KNOW these cars are strong. I still drive that car.

The devestation of the frame was complete.

I'm fortunate to be typing this, btu long ago i rolled a car at somewhere between 55-60 mph (glanced off a tree too). Amazing what a kid (me) , dark, wet road, wet leaves and a big buck standing in the middle of a curve can do. Needless to say, it was nothing even remotely like that. I skiied the following weekend.

He had to be flying, and had to hit the tree with essentially no braking. And somethign else had to go wrong (' hit at just the wrong point").

Horrifying.

The only condolence is that it was over in an instant. Kinda like a plane crash.

This reminds me why i'm a wimp. It makes me a little slow (talking on closed circuits here guys...), but i hope it keeps me alive.

Grant

Grant

Grant,
As the saying goes: Old Age and Wisdom outsmarts youth and vigor.
Or as my dad ( WWII USAAF pilot) said:
grant - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 10:52:20 am
"There are old pilots, adn there are bold pilots, btu there are no old, bold pilots."

Grant

Grant

Re: Or as my dad ( WWII USAAF pilot) said:
Roger987 - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 4:31:07 pm
Coincidentally, Grant, I was thinking exactly the same thing, which my step-dad, an RCAF WWll pilot, told me when I was a teenage motorcycle rider. His quote was virtually the same, except instead of 'no', he said 'very few'. And for those, I imagine luck played a not insignificant role.

I'd rather your lap time is a tad slower if it means we get to benefit from your posts a lot longer... Live to race another day.

R
Re: OK. There's no other word than horrific.
db997S - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 10:58:05 am
Actually, the fire wasn't instant. CNN has obtained footage from a security camera showing that it took 60 seconds after impact for the fire to start. Well, at least the smoke. The footage doesn't show the actuall accident. You see some trees and the light post fall, then 60 seconds later, the smoke. Interesting that if extreme speed was a factor, wouldn't the care have gone airborne if it it the curb, or would the trees and light post have kept it grounded? I've read other crash reports involving high speed where the car has been known to hit a tree or utility pole 10 or more feet in the air. The security video here was of an indutrial parking lot, with what looked like and average six-foot tall wall with the trees and light pole behind it. You never see the car above the wall, but the violence of impact is definately evident. Pretty scary stuff.
Re: OK. There's no other word than horrific.
Ed B - Thursday, 5 December, 2013, at 11:04:28 am
Besides Porsches, one of my other bad habits is being a call fire fire fighter. This time of year I respond to about one vehicle crash a week. ( I hesitate to call them accidents). All of them due to brain fade of the nut behind the wheel.

Ed B sad smiley
New York Daily News Article I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this.
Re: Lack of PSM on CGT has been a thorn in Porsche's side
db997S - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 2:15:26 pm
Problem is, pictures form the accident scene clearly show a 45 MPH speed limit sign that was knocked down during the crash. Hard to blame Porsche engineering when a motorcycle driver could survive a wreck at that speed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login