Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
engine failure - update
JM-Stamford,CT - Sunday, 1 December, 2013, at 11:50:48 pm
a few weeks back I posted about a friends engine failure. originally it was thought to be IMS. Still might be.

He has just finished the tear down and it appears there are a couple spun main bearings. Also, the crank is seriously out of spec. He believes the bad crank caused the other problems.

He is now in the process of having the crank redone.

He seems to think that bearing problems are common. I have not heard of this problem in the past, and for some time I was a top 50 poster. I would think I would have heard something.

Now I am on less often, so I am wondering is there something new to hear?
way more about this than just this one isolated report, really hearsay. Your friend thinks there is a problem based on examining one engine. And what does seriously out of spec mean? If one or more bearings spun likely the crank journals are damaged. The bearings could have spun due to excessive wear that resulted in localized (at the worn bearing(s)) low oil pressure to occur.

Relax. The same steps to prolong crankshaft bearing life are the same steps you would take to prolong IMS life and really the life of everything in the engine. The two most important are imho are run a good (approved natch) oil and change the oil/filter regularly and sooner rather than later.
I have never heard of a problem
grant - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 9:38:12 am
except for the usual lubrication failures, and precious few of those.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I had never heard anything either.
JM-Stamford,CT - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 7:28:35 pm
But he is suggesting that he read about bearing failures on several of the boards. But not having heard anything about it in my travels....

As always, I just listen and report. It still sounds like an IMS to me. If that bearing failed, and the pistons hit the valves, it is entirely possible that the crank would be seriously damaged.

He did also mention the supposed issue with the RMS - that the flywheel end caried too much weight and that the RMS failed as a result. That I had heard, but it is a different thing.
JMstamford,ct
But he is suggesting that he read about bearing failures on several of the boards. But not having heard anything about it in my travels....

As always, I just listen and report. It still sounds like an IMS to me. If that bearing failed, and the pistons hit the valves, it is entirely possible that the crank would be seriously damaged.

He did also mention the supposed issue with the RMS - that the flywheel end caried too much weight and that the RMS failed as a result. That I had heard, but it is a different thing.

...failures on several of the boards.

In fact just the opposite. Here's what the OP wrote: " I have not heard of this problem in the past, and for some time I was a top 50 poster. I would think I would have heard something."

All I gathered that prompted his interest was a friend who's Boxster suffered some kind of engine failure, initially of course blamed on the IMSB, but maybe not, and post teardown the the friend found some spun bearings and the crankshaft "out of spec", which can mean several things. The crank is bent, or with spun bearings the first thing that comes to mind is the bearing journals if not damaged are undersized. In this case which came first? The spun bearings or the bearing journals becoming undersized.

I mean I would not lose any sleep over someone suffering from an engine problem and sort of kind of diagnosing some kind of crank out of spec. This would not put me off my car. Nor would it send me frantically searching the web for any Boxster engine crankshaft problems.

One reason is on the web you can find any kind of problem you want. Doesn't mean one's vehicle has any real risk of manifesting that same problem.

Frankly, after coming across posts by owners who wait for the low oil level warning light to flash before they add oil, or after coming across owners who run turbo diesel oil or who mix different brands of (approved or non-approved) oils like some mad oil chemist to arrive at what they perceive is some wonder oil, I'm surprised there aren't more reports of "crankshaft problems". Self-inflicted of course.
JM is the OP. He is now referring to the mechanic.
grant - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 8:46:41 pm
that said, i think its all BS.

Grant

Grant

c'mon marc, if you didnt have an oil warning indicator,...
grant - Monday, 2 December, 2013, at 8:50:14 pm
.. why would you need to check or add oil? Its simple logic. You're just silly.

Winky.

G

Grant

double check the chain, I am the OP ... That said,
JM-Stamford,CT - Tuesday, 3 December, 2013, at 8:21:29 am
I am not going to run out and get rid of my car. I am considering the DOF or like. The issue is not whether to make an upgrade, but when. I might ust bite the bullet and upgrade without an obvious needed repair.

I was just reporting on the engine failure. My take is that my friend is extremely frustrated. I doubt he abused the car or failed to maintain the oil. He is also not the type to exaggerate or misrepresent what he read on the net.

I believe that his frustration is getting the better of him. He is losing perspective based upon the severe results. Diagnosis of cause is always difficult. Which issue is the chicken and which is the egg? When doing the repair, I don't think it matters. When frustrated it does though.
to imply his engine failure was self-caused but it is a stretch to imagine his experience warrants anything more than sympathy and your ear when he wants to grumble about his predicament. That is it does not warrant any concern on your part regarding some sort of crankshaft shortcoming or problem. Whether you want to install some IMSB upgrade or the DOF that's your call.
I read 8 Boxster forums on 3 continents
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 3 December, 2013, at 11:08:52 am
pretty much dailey and have for years and I have posted a "problem areas" web page. So if crankshafts were a common problem, I'd be seeing it.

I don't see a number of reports that would indicate to me there was a widespread problem. Random events sometimes just happen.

Got a call today from my dealer that my tags were more than a year out of date. Service rep noticed it. And guess what, nothing from the state or county in the last 18 months. No tax bill, inspection demand, etc. I know I filed the paperwork with the local DMV office after I bought the car as I had the original stickers. But what happened to my data base record and how much in interest and penalty will I have to pay for their error? Life has its frustrations.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
I wouldn't bet the farm on that one.
A few years back our DMV here forgot to send out one of the new tags/registration forms for our cars and I forgot about putting it on. 3 months after the tag expired I got pulled over and a cop explained the problem. I couldn't drive the car anywhere except to a DMV facility and I had to get the wife on the phone to bring the title so I could get the new sticker. $150 ticket..
I found out a few months later that thousands had gotten stuck with tickets because the bureau had dropped the ball in getting out the new stickers. My protest to the DMV went nowhere..
It's been more than a decade
Roger987 - Tuesday, 3 December, 2013, at 8:36:31 pm
since Prince Edward Island stopped sending out renewal notices.

Instead, vehicle registrations expire on the owner's birthday. This month is your birthday? Go online, or drop into the office, and renew your vehicle registration.

No doubt, this was implemented as a cost-saving measure. But, I kind of like the idea that government is handing back to the citizen the obligation to think for himself. A bold move, n'est ce pas?
Works for me! *NM*
MikenOH - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 8:14:57 am
Works for me too, with the caveat
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 9:07:33 am
That those in charge let everyone know that that is what is expected.

Unfortunately, too many in today's society expect everyone else to look after them and remind them. They have smart phones, but are not smart enough (as in lazy) to use things like calendars. Always bugs me a bit when I get a call, reminding me of an appointment I have coming up. I already know that! People pay the bank for overdraft protection. Really? .....and the list goes on.

I really think we'd be better off if we were allowed to be responsible to look after ourselves.

Hey, I don't even mind taking on the responsibility of deciding, on my own, what gear I want to be in when driving. winking smiley
Results
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 2:02:14 pm
Walk in to DMV, deal with very competent private contractor. She listened, looked at my registration and title, saw the error had been theirs, added up the sticker and tax I should have paid over the last year, apologized for having to give me new physical license plate instead of just a sticker. 99% satisfaction and wife is able to drive. I wasn't looking for an apology, just a solution with no penalties. Got all of that.

Crazy laws. I bought the car in Md and wanted it joint registered with her name first. It is her turn and was to be primarily her car. But she wasn't with me so it had to be sold to me (crazy Md law). Then registered to me and then name transferred.

All brought about because of the cartel the Toyota dealers have in having to buy from a distributor who adds on unwanted accessories at exorbitant prices. I saved $2k just by going out of the SouthEast Toyota zone and buying a straight from the factory car compared to the 8 price quotes I got in NC.
See that? You got someone who could take the initiative. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 4 December, 2013, at 4:39:12 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login