Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Lane discipline
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 10:04:37 am
Looks scary on a bike. Can't read the speedo, but he's obviously moving at a good clip. The Audi RS6 is advertised at a top speed of 250 kph (150 mph) in Germany. This one could be modified.

To me, what this video really highlights is lane discipline on the Autobahn. Just watch how vehicles pull over to let a faster one pass. Requires you to actually use the rear view mirror for what it's intended.

[video.ca.msn.com]
Re: Lane discipline
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 10:43:06 am
It looks like he hits and holds 299 Kph.
That must be the bike's speed governor.
On video it also looks more intimidating, not that 300 Kph isn't.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 11:02:29 am
The scary part is thinking of those 2 tiny rubber patches keeping you connected to the road at that speed. Granted, there's a lot less weight to contend with than in a car with its 4 larger patches. You really have to trust that no-one will pull out in front of you to pass. From my experience on the Autobahn, it's a pretty safe bet. Not so much here in North America.
In North America....
grant - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 11:34:09 am
not only is there little to no lane discipline, but even when people have *some* clue, i've seen them pull out simply because they don't fathom that i may really be closing on them at 35 mph.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
"Lane discipline" in the US & Canada.
Bob G - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 11:32:47 am
Nonexistent.

Which makes the video even scarier for us. eye popping smiley

Thanks for posting, Guenter.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 12:54:10 pm
While it is true there is much better lane discipline in Germany, you still have to be very careful. With all of the heavy truck traffic often encountered, it is not unusual for smaller cars to pass without realizing that the car in the rear view mirror is coming a lot faster than they think. I had a Fiat 500 doing about 70 pull in front of me when I was running around 150. Luckily, Porsches also have very good brakes.
San Rensho - Monday, 9 December, 2013, at 9:34:41 pm
Lane discipline doesn't exist in south Florida. The left lane is full of idiots who seem to think that because they have an expensive car, they are entitled to drive in the left lane at 54mph. I have found that I can easily go at 80+ in the right hand lane because all the morons are int eh "prestige " left lanes.
RoadWarrior19 - Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, at 7:16:42 pm
Speaking of FL, I've seen the same thing in the northern part of the state. When we visit her son in South FL, I've learned to stay to the right where we often make better time than in the slower left lane.
On I-75 in South FL, I was growing convinced that . . .
Bob G - Wednesday, 11 December, 2013, at 9:53:34 am
the left lane was reserved for slow-moving dump trucks and transports. winking smiley
That's what ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 11 December, 2013, at 2:11:17 pm
... we have to put up with all the time.
My wife and I are downsizing and we're considering moving 300 miles further north.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
We have them up here in Ontario too. So I think you'd have to be prepared to move a lot more than 300 miles, Pedro.

I too, sometimes resort to driving in the right lane to make good time even though I don't like passing in the right lane, being in everyone's bigger blind spot - not that most people ever check their rear view mirrors.
The problem is worse here in SoFla because ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 11 December, 2013, at 5:37:25 pm
... of all the foreigners that flock to our beaches.
In many of their countries, the transit laws are not enforced, and heck, they probably didn't even take a driver's exam to get their license.
When I lived in North-Central Florida in the 90s it wasn't as bad as it is here.
I'm sure that if I move further North they'll eventually follow me, but I'll get away for a few years winking smiley
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Particularly those from teh DR right? *NM*
grant - Monday, 16 December, 2013, at 7:28:38 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: That's what ....
paulwdenton - Wednesday, 11 December, 2013, at 7:25:43 pm
Jacksonville? Seriously? I lived 7 years in South Florida and had to drive to Jax frequently for business. Believe me, the drivers there are no better. And please don't go to MO or KS, the drivers there DEFINITELY steal the left lane. I think this is a national problem.
Lane discipline-come on guys, that left lane is for
tom coughlin - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 9:13:20 am
the incompetent crappy drivers who have to be near the left edge so they can "see" where they are! Of course since the "left lane is for passing only" law in my state is never enforced, we more often than not have to pass on the right.
BDBOXSTER - Friday, 13 December, 2013, at 6:21:27 am
Ok, a little political injection here...."The Governor" Christie signed a law earlier that if someone is caught in the left lane going slow or holding up the flow of traffic then they are subject to a ticket with a fine and/or points because of the increased likelihood that they will cause an accident or instigate aggressive driving altercations. Gotta love this law.
Yes, I am not sure if it is due to road rage but we are not allowed to flash at a vehicle to gain attention and respond. I wish people would just " Lead, Follow, or get out of the way.
m4240z - Sunday, 15 December, 2013, at 1:56:26 pm
In Ontario, poor lane discipline is, in my opinion, largely due to two perceptual problems. The first being that people think that any lane is fair game, and that speeding is a sin. The second being a sense of Canadian reaction to what are perceived as 'pushy' people, which speeders trying to enforce lane discipline are seen as by 'law abiding' citizens.

The fact that police don't enforce the section of the law that establishes lane discipline. When I lived in Europe, I remember going down the left lane at a good clip, passing cars to my right, exceeding the speed limit by a good 25km/h, and police pulled up behind me with lights on. I signaled to move over into the right, but they moved to the right, passing me, and cleared out the traffic in front of me that wasn't exercising lane discipline. Failure to observe lane discipline was considered a far worse sin than speeding, whereas here, it's all about speeding. This leads to people in the left lane as being seen as 'enforcers' of the law.

Then there's the pushy people theory. The converse of that is the guy who is at the front of the line, and spending his life chatting to the teller/cashier holding up the line, just because.

It is unfortunate, because left lane obstructors probably cause some pretty serious accidents, particularly when combined with a right lane bandit.
Laz - Tuesday, 17 December, 2013, at 12:08:01 am
A few years ago the AAA magazine referred to people traveling in the left lane without exceeding the speed limit as "polite enforcers." I wrote a letter (that they published) in which I said those people are not polite, but rude, arrogant, and dangerous.

silverbox03 - Tuesday, 17 December, 2013, at 1:11:32 pm
I've been driving for over 40 years, and this has only gotten worse. The violators know what their doing.
Either way, (or other possibilities,) they probably apply as much passion to choosing what car to drive as they would a new washing machine, and are eager for the Utopian* driverless car.
* Driving to Utopia; no place at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login