Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
13/15 *NM*
Bob G - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 12:57:19 pm
12/15 *NM*
gedwin - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 1:58:20 pm
16/15 *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 3:05:08 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
12/15 *NM*
Ed B - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 3:41:34 pm
smiling smiley
Bob G - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 5:26:57 pm
for example, both cayenne and the 924 were joint projects with VW - corporate, not Audi. Yes, there was a Audi motor in there, but the car was originally designed ot be a VW, and when cancelled, Porsche bought the project from VW.

And, actually, Ferdinand ( the elder) DID design much of the 356 although it was completed after his death. Also the Silver Arrows and the Tiger Tank, BTW ( which was, in the end, a disaster).

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 06:39PM by grant. (view changes)
questionable "facts" Caution: SPOILER ALERT
Bob G - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 8:07:11 pm
In the 356/1 horsepower question ("brake", not "break") there was no specification as to DIN or SAE. Also, in reference to Grant's point, who really was the "designer"? A blurry line. How much input did Prof. Porsche actually have? Komenda may have done the body design, but then how about the engine, and other aspects?

My info had that the Porsche Design Bureau did the original Tiger, but their work was rejected in favor of Henschel's. But Porsche did Tiger II, which was accepted and constructed. Lack of secondary armament was a flaw of the tank.
Re: questionable "facts" Caution: SPOILER ALERT
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 8:23:44 pm
Bob G
In the 356/1 horsepower question ("brake", not "break") there was no specification as to DIN or SAE. Also, in reference to Grant's point, who really was the "designer"? A blurry line. How much input did Prof. Porsche actually have? Komenda may have done the body design, but then how about the engine, and other aspects?

My info had that the Porsche Design Bureau did the original Tiger, but their work was rejected in favor of Henschel's. But Porsche did Tiger II, which was accepted and constructed. Lack of secondary armament was a flaw of the tank.

It was Ferry (Dr. Porsche's son) and Komenda who designed and build the first 356 while Ferdinand was being held in a French prison after WWII. True, they used a modified version of Ferdinand's VW engine and mounted it in the optimum place for best handling.
15/15 *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 8:12:35 pm
Prove it! tongue sticking out smiley *NM*
Roger987 - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 8:20:01 pm
Lol *NM*
Roger987 - Thursday, 12 December, 2013, at 8:38:36 pm
That time of year again....
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 December, 2013, at 12:48:14 pm

Not much to do up there winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
8/15 --not bad after a bottle scotch --Johnny's finest smileys with beerhot smiley

MIKELLIG
I did better than I thought I would smiling smiley
Joanne in OC - Friday, 13 December, 2013, at 12:27:01 am
9/15 .... It must have been the wine that relaxed me and didn't stress over the test.

Thanks Guenter.... Our conversation the other day helped me with one of the questions. You're soooo smart eye rolling smiley
Joanne
Re: I did better than I thought I would smiling smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 13 December, 2013, at 3:56:19 pm
Joanne in OC
9/15 .... It must have been the wine that relaxed me and didn't stress over the test.

Thanks Guenter.... Our conversation the other day helped me with one of the questions. You're soooo smart eye rolling smiley
Joanne

Well, in Winter, one of the things I enjoy doing is learning more about one of my favourite things - Boxsters and Porsches in general. You have to be pretty darn impressed when you know that Ferdinand Porsche, who started all this, was chosen as Car Engineer of the (20th) Century by an International panel of journalists from over 30 different countries. That took place in Las Vegas back in 1999 - just in case the question ever comes up. winking smiley

FWIW, other candidates included names like Karl Benz, Rudolph Diesel, Henry Ford, Fredrick Royce and Felix Wankel. No Ferrari on the list. (OK, I don't have this list memorised, had to look it up.)
Ferrari wasn't listed because . . .
Bob G - Friday, 13 December, 2013, at 8:10:51 pm
Although he held an honorary engineering degree, he was an industrialist/entrepreneur, and not an engineer per se.
Man, I won't even reveal how poorly I did.

Looks as though Guenter's going to be getting a LOT of free oil changes...
Re: 10/15 Guess I better sign up for one of Guenter's tutorialssad smiley
BLKBOXS - Saturday, 14 December, 2013, at 11:25:49 am
DougW
n/t

Hi Doug,

Guenter gave Dom and Myself a tutorial last night...we missed your presents....I mean "gifts"grinning smiley

MIKELLIG
13/15

They got me with the Ferdinand/Ferry question and the VW/AUDI joint venture which wasn't presented very clearly.
Congrats Guenter, seems you are the winner of the new Macan!
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
To be honest, I had a lucky guess on #15. The rest I knew.

Macan is nice, but doesn't come with a manual, so would have to pass. Drove through a snow storm today. Glad I was driving a manual.
13/15 -- I had forgotten what low HP the 356 had....
12/15 *NM*
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Monday, 16 December, 2013, at 10:43:10 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login