Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
E350 (NBC)
Roger987 - Sunday, 15 December, 2013, at 8:31:21 am
Thinking about replacing my aging 5 series wagon. It's an E39, considered by many to be the pinnacle of BMW's 5 series, in terms of the driving experience. But with its age, and the destructive effects of many years of road salt exposure, it's almost becoming a project.

Anyone here drive a current E350 Merc? Even more specific, with the 3 litre Bluetec diesel?

Not sure I'm ready to walk away from a wagon - so versatile, but in the last few years, the Merc wagon hasn't been offered with the diesel, and I'm kinda curious about the diesel. Don't know whether I could adapt to an engine that stops making power at 3400 rpm.

With infrastructure money taking a backseat to almost everything, roads are becoming rougher and rougher - hence my interest in a smooth-riding daily driver.
I'm also considering an E350 Bluetec...
Mixster - Sunday, 15 December, 2013, at 8:51:56 am
...so I'd be interested in any feedback from the Board.

What I've seen so far is that the 0-60 is about a second slower than a 987S, if that matters. But the high torque is supposed to pull and pull and pull. The DEF (diesel emissions fluid, aka AdBlue) is expensive from the MB dealership and just adds one more fluid to keep an eye on. Interestingly, if you run out of DEF, the engine will not start because it doesn't meet emissions standards. I think you get lots of warnings, but it's just something to consider.

There are some informative articles on the net from 3-6 month driving experiences.
Re: I'm also considering an E350 Bluetec...
Roger987 - Sunday, 15 December, 2013, at 9:13:53 am
From all the articles I've read, the 0-60 time is NOT stellar - about 7.5 seconds, requiring 4 gears to get there (because it's a low-revving engine).

[www.motortrend.com]

[www.youtube.com]

The Adblue can be bought inexpensively aftermarket, and doesn't require adding very often.
Around here is currently about $.90/gallon or about +30% more. How does mileage compare between the gas/diesel E350 vehicles?
Diesel costs more than regular gas, but a few cents per lire less than the highest octane gasoline (RON 91 in Atlantic Canada). It's been almost 2 decades since I owned a car that drank anything other than 'high-test'.

By many reports, the E350 Bluetec easily gets high 30's per US gallon, significantly better (at least 10 mpg) than the gasoline engine. This is one instance where a car actually betters its EPA rating.

2 year-old Bluetec's sell pretty much at the same price as their gasoline sisters. New, they ran about $1200 more.

The E350 Bluetec is almost unheard of here in Atlantic Canada, because it's not been available in North America in 4Matic (AWD). In snow climates, the dealers stock the AWD. With stability control and snow tires, I'm happy with RWD, and much prefer it over FWD where, if you lose drive-wheel traction, you lose steering.

For 2014, the Bluetec diesel 6 cylinder 3 litre has been replaced with a 4 cylinder 2.5 litre. More efficient, but not as smooth, and less power..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login