Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Jacking Up Boxster
SRG - Friday, 21 January, 2011, at 10:35:41 am
In the past, when working on my cars, I have found it much more convenient to raise/jack the car up by the front or rear rather than one side or the other. For example - changing brake pads and/or rotors is usually done at the front or rear. Jack up whichever end you want to work on, place the jack stands and set to work. Doing this jacking one side at a time involves twice the effort and raising one side w/ the other side already up makes me nervous - raising one end w/ the other end already up is much more stable (and often not even required).

Anyhow, all the info I have seen on Boxsters suggests the one side then the other method.

Are there safe jacking points in the center front and center rear that can be used to lift the car one end at a time?

Thanks,

SRG

PS - A big thank you to Pedro for keeping this forum going and another thank you to all the regular contributors answering all the questions like mine.
Center front, no - but center rear yes...
Burg Boxster - Friday, 21 January, 2011, at 11:05:24 am
In a nutshell...

use the rear lift points to raise the entire side and place stand under front lifting point. Lower and repeat on other side. Then, find the more forward cross member of the two very similar ones in the rear (rear most one is just forward of the muffler - you want the other one more towards the front of the car). Using a long handled jack, raise the entire rear end from this point and place jack stands under the two rear lifting points or the approved jackstand points. Not sure if examples and pix are in the archives here yet, but they are still over on PPBB as well as 986forum, renntech, 6speed, etc.

smiling smiley
... then it's a lot quicker to raise one side of the car at a time and work on both the front and the rear of the raised side at once.
You can put a jack on the rear jacking point, just in front of the rear tire and lift.
the Boxster is rigid enough that the whole side will lift.
This is what we do routinely at the track to install our racing pads and then again after the event to replace the street pads.
For additional safety, place a jack stand under the front jacking point of the lifted side incase your hydraulic jack looses pressure.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... then it's a lot quicker to raise one side of the car at a time and work on both the front and the rear of the raised side at once.
You can put a jack on the rear jacking point, just in front of the rear tire and lift.
the Boxster is rigid enough that the whole side will lift.
This is what we do routinely at the track to install our racing pads and then again after the event to replace the street pads.
For additional safety, place a jack stand under the front jacking point of the lifted side incase your hydraulic jack looses pressure.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

That what I always do too--unless you really need all 4 corners off the ground, I never saw the benefit of putting the entire car on jack stands. I changed a bunch of brake pads, flushed lots of brake fluid and swapped street tires/wheels for track tires/wheels, raising one side of the car at a time. Another variation, if you need the two front tires off the ground, you can jack at one front corner and lift both. I always chuckle when people are amazed to see the entire front end off the ground with a jack under the front corner as the lifting point smiling smiley

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster
Re: Center front, no - but center rear yes...
Roger987 - Saturday, 22 January, 2011, at 3:14:38 pm
+ 1 for Burg's method.

To facilitate getting the jack under the rear end, I've made two ramps 3 inches high using bevelled 2x10's about 18" long. Drive the back wheels onto the ramps first, then follow Burg's procedure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login