Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
TechnoSump
grant - Thursday, 2 January, 2014, at 6:37:20 pm
Since i’m now pulling > 1G on the track regularly, and as high as 1.2xGs, i decided that in order for my motor to live a long and healthy life, i needed to augment the oiling.

I saw three options:

1. Accusump - expensive, space consuming, very good.
2. Larger oil sump - LN, other
3. The new TechnoSump

The sump on any car is basically the oil pan. Its where the oil drips down to, and where the oil pump gets its supply of fresh oil. Should it run dry or slosh to the side, the oil pump sucks are and bad things happen to your bearings.

I looked at all the sumps, and most look OK. But the Technosump did everything the others did, plus it has a feature that intrigues me - it has a horizontal plate that acts as a baffle/trap for the oil that falls to the pan below. Oil simply can’t climb up the walls because the baffle is there.

Beyond that the TS, like most others, increases your sump capacity by about 2 qts, by extending the sump down, in this case with a machined spacer. More oil is always good - more additives, more sump reserve, more heat absorption, etc.

I also liked the fact that Pedro had a testing approach that passed the BS test. He actually was able to count the number of times his car went below X oil pressure on similar laps around Sebring, with and without the sump.

My test will be…. well … call me in 5 years and see how my car’s doing, okay?

The install is really pretty easy, some instruction teething pains aside (which Pedro fixed quickly by phone). The hardest part (literally) is getting the car high enough to work comfortably under - in my case about 18” to the jack points on my usual 6x6 pressure treated stock. Then its remove, swap out some simple pickup and return tubes (bolts), clean everything REALLY well, apply high temp gasket material, assemble (upside down, face to motor) and torque to spec, using the normal in-to-out alternating method for cylinder heads.

This is a kinda fun time to look inside your motor. With the oil pan off, the inside of the block, below the crankshaft, is staring at you (or at least you at it). My first thought was “wow its clean in there”. See pic:

[i40.tinypic.com]

All went together smoothly - although we admittedly were over-staffed and over-degreed for a simple job - but everyone wanted to see how it's done, and use Grant's car as the Guinea Pig.

No leaks (yet).

no oil lights (yet)

Seems like a very good product for serious track folks.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: TechnoSump
San Rensho - Friday, 3 January, 2014, at 12:14:25 am
Splain me how the horizontal baffle works and how it's superior to the products out there that copy the X51 baffle designs.
Well, that's what i tried to explain.
grant - Friday, 3 January, 2014, at 8:48:23 am
Its much easier if you look at pictures - on pedro's site, but the typical baffles are vertical, and do not extend to the top of anything. So oil can slosh up, and potentially over, them. The TS design is different. It forms a lower cavity with a trap-door like opening in the middle (assume you've looked at it, right). That trap door let's oil flow down.

Here's a pic of the kit showing the baffle and the trap door:

[i43.tinypic.com]

But, since the scenario for oil flowing *up* is lateral acceleration, not a car driving on the ceiling, it cant get out of half the lower chamber.

There is some debate over whether the baffle is better positioned below or above the spacer. Below provides less space for slow, but also less trapped oil. Pedro plans to do more testing.

here's a picture of the spacer on a block. The car is apparently resting on its roof, which is stronger than we all imagined (wink). The baffle can go below the spacer (more constrained trapped oil) or above (more oil in the constrained space). Testing will determine whether i need to get oily again.

[i41.tinypic.com]

I hesitate to speak for Pedro, but as noted, he designed a clever test whereby he used his accusump relay to test how often pressure fell in a stock car and a TS equipped car. I know of no other vendor who has such testing, or who shares the results at least. The numbers fell from (memory here, not my product) 17 --> 3 around Sebring. That's very significant.

On, of course, its gold anodized which makes it..... gold. :-)

What we all really need is a dry sump. The integrated dry sump is yet another reason not to put *too* much blind faith in Porsche.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 08:53AM by grant. (view changes)
Once I am finally done with repairing/re-engineering the power steering system, it will be time for the winter oil change and I am considering the Techno Sump. My car is track/street driven but not a daily driver. Does the amount of drop put the oil pan in harms way? Thanks.
Nice. technoarmour *NM*
grant - Thursday, 16 January, 2014, at 8:08:53 pm
Grant

It is not the lowest thing under the car, but those items that ARE lower are now deformable plastic....

I continue to street drive mine with the techno sump. If you are aware of it it should be fine. Avoid construction zones and go over objects very slow.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login