Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Thoughts on the new 911 Targa?
Tony in Whittier - Monday, 13 January, 2014, at 8:59:38 pm
[editorial.autos.msn.com]

I am a bit shocked by the MSRP. I am curious to see the shaped rear window in person.
I agree about it being a good update.
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 13 January, 2014, at 11:21:56 pm
I still remember that beautiful silver '69 which was my dream car until 1993.
I translated part of the text on the link and it stated that the 911 only comes with all wheel drive.

"Porsche stellt auf der Detroit Motor Show den neuen Porsche 911 Targa vor. Die Variante mit dem legendären Sicherheits-Überrollbügel baut auf dem Elfer-Cabrio auf und kommt ausschließlich mit Allradantrieb."

"Porsche is at the Detroit Motor Show before the new Porsche 911 Targa. The variant with the legendary safety roll bar builds on the penalty convertible and comes only with all-wheel drive."

I wonder how that will affect the handling with the rear mounted engine. No more breaking loose?
Handling
Roger987 - Wednesday, 15 January, 2014, at 8:33:29 am
Likely it will handle very similar to the convertible and fixed roof Carrera 4S
Re: More picture here, including how the top works.
chris & 987 - Wednesday, 15 January, 2014, at 9:19:56 am
I have a new dream car! superb. I really love the look.
Re: how the top works.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 16 January, 2014, at 8:04:05 am
[m.youtube.com]

Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 08:06AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Nice. Here's another one:
Laz - Thursday, 16 January, 2014, at 9:42:05 am
[video]http://youtu.be/6H7xSw7bEms[/video]
It looks surprisingly herky-jerky *NM*
Boxsterra - Sunday, 19 January, 2014, at 4:53:01 pm
Dream car until 1993
Roger987 - Wednesday, 15 January, 2014, at 4:54:13 pm
And we know what turned your head around in 1993. You were reading one of THOSE magazines, weren't you - the kind with colour photos of curvy objects of desire that made your heart race, and your hands sweat, in anticipation of caressing the taut, virgin skin. At that point you could only dream what it would be like to slide inside her, to hear her purr, then later, wail, as you explored her limits....

You would never again be the same, not after seeing the first rendering of the 986. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 04:57PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Re: Dream car until 1993
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 16 January, 2014, at 11:00:33 am
Roger987
You would never again be the same, not after seeing the first rendering of the 986. smiling smiley

Just a point of clarification, I don't believe this was a 986. It was actually a Boxster as the concept car. I believe it became a 986 project when Porsche decided to go ahead with building the car after the reviews it got at the 1993 Detroit Auto Show. That's why to me, it will always be a Boxster first and a 986, 987 or 981 to designate the version.

on the new Targa or 991 50th anniversary edition.
Window corner mounting causes an aerodynamic dead spot.
Laz - Friday, 17 January, 2014, at 2:49:32 pm
With the old position rain puddles right where your line of sight to the mirror is. Door mounting allows for clean airflow across that critical area of the side window(s.)
speaking of rain puddling
Roger987 - Friday, 17 January, 2014, at 3:47:27 pm
Man, I wish there were a solution to the problem of rain running from the windshield to the side window, where it collects at the top and then drips at a feverish pace onto my left arm and hip. Spoils many a good top-down run in the rain..
Re: speaking of rain puddling
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 17 January, 2014, at 4:01:44 pm
Roger987
Man, I wish there were a solution to the problem of rain running from the windshield to the side window, where it collects at the top and then drips at a feverish pace onto my left arm and hip. Spoils many a good top-down run in the rain..

The solution is at your right finger tips. winking smiley

I know what you mean, Roger. I've driven through brief showers with the top down. Once the roads get really wet, it's pretty hard to keep things clean and dry on the inside, even with windows up with all the spray you get from the other cars. That's when I reluctantly convert the CURVEN8R into a closed sports car. Makes you appreciate all the topless drives even more.

Is it Spring yet?
Re: Thoughts on the new 911 Targa?
db997S - Tuesday, 14 January, 2014, at 11:44:24 am
I'm curious to see what it looks like with this foldable softop on the car.
Exquisite
Roger987 - Tuesday, 14 January, 2014, at 6:15:34 pm
It retains the wonderful hips and side profile of the fixed roof 991, yet offers the joy of a roofless car.

For anyone who can afford it, it's the cat's meow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 06:19PM by Roger987. (view changes)
r9i8c7k - Tuesday, 14 January, 2014, at 11:52:14 pm
The Targa should go the way of dinosaurs...looks dated.
Like this?
Laz - Wednesday, 15 January, 2014, at 4:58:43 pm
(the left side image)
[cdn.uproxx.com]
silverbox03 - Thursday, 16 January, 2014, at 10:26:49 am
My thought is this looks to be stupidly complicated. I imagine a manually removable roof panel wouldn't fit anywhere in the car.
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 16 January, 2014, at 10:36:05 am
silverbox03
My thought is this looks to be stupidly complicated. I imagine a manually removable roof panel wouldn't fit anywhere in the car.

I agree about the complexity. Unfortunately, these days, everyone wants everything done for them at the push of a button and they're willing to pay for it.

I don't think storage with a manual roof would be a problem since the roof panel is fabric and actually folds during the storage process.
The targa is a 2008 Corvette coupe. The coupe is in fact a targa with a removable roof panel. I have not capitalized "targa" so as not to confuse the issue. The roadster is the Boxster, of course. Other roadsters I have owned are the BMW Z3 and my first car, an MGTD. Nothing compares with the open feeling of a roadster. It's strictly a personal opinion, but I really don't see the point of a Targa unless the roll bar is an issue. I know that Corvette convertibles are strictly limited at HPDE. Also, the Corvette coupe has a stiffer frame, and I can even feel the difference easily when I remove the top on my coupe.

Steve
Re: So, I have a targa and a roadster
jlegelis - Friday, 17 January, 2014, at 5:08:23 pm
Always torn... have loved my convertibles (TR-6, Alfa Spider, 986 Boxster) on sunny days, but always vexed by rattles and shakes (though much less so in the Boxster). Thinking the 981 might be the best of both worlds, if torsional rigidity is as good as the recent Pano comparo suggests. Might have to take one for a drive... hmmm.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 17 January, 2014, at 5:17:31 pm
jlegelis
Might have to take one for a drive... hmmm.

That's the only real way to find out whether YOU like it or not. Would love to hear what happens to your wallet after you take one out. smiling smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 17 January, 2014, at 5:13:01 pm
From what I understand, the Porsche Targa was designed because around that time, there was talk that convertibles would be banned because of rollover safety. That way, people could still have an open roof. It's better than a sunroof. I absolutely agree with you, though, there's nothing like a roadster on a sunny day, or even more magical, a warm summer star filled night.
The 911 was designed without much consideration for an open variant because the final years of convertible 356s were "unsuccessful," (whatever that means.) There was no threat yet of convertibles being banned due to safety reasons. Because the 911 was engineered to be a closed car, it became pretty much impossible to design a structurally sound convertible afterward.
Bobtesa - Tuesday, 28 January, 2014, at 6:42:01 am
Haven't posted for a while, been to Asia - great trip - and returned to see Porsche is making the Targa again.

I was never a Porsche-a-file or a fan of the 911. I drove two friends' 944s in the late '80's and early '90's and loved the handling. Fortunately, the Boxster came out as I turned 50 and my younger man's dreams of owning a wonderful sports car came true. (For me, it was the mid-engine concept as I lusted over an unaffordable, to me, NSX).

Two years ago a neighbor from around the block who I had not met called and asked if she could come over to talk about Porsches. She inherited a 1987 Targa when her father passed away and she intended to keep and care for the car in memory of her Porsche-a-file father. It's red. It is beautiful. She asked about service and she now uses the indy shop I go to which specializes in older 911s. It's a new shop and after their first year they had a thank you bbq at the shop. Mine was the only Boxster that showed up. Mostly 911's and several Targas. All red. Beautiful? For the first time I fell in love with those old cars. Honestly, I think they are better looking than my Boxster. (Please no flames -- Better looking than MY Boxster, not YOUR Boxster smiling smiley

Do I like the new Targa? I'm in love. Do I want a rear engine car? No. If the price were right would I trade in my Boxster for a Targa? In a heart beat. It would be red.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
mrdrama - Tuesday, 28 January, 2014, at 12:29:43 pm
OK-I really like my '10 Boxster S, but this is now my "lottery car"-first new 911 I've wanted to own since the 993.Might be nostalgia-my first Porsche was an '84 Carrera Targa-but that is spot-on.
chris & 987 - Tuesday, 28 January, 2014, at 6:29:23 pm
I agree with Mr Drama. This is on my first ten thing to buy list
Rev Dennis - Friday, 31 January, 2014, at 8:43:51 pm
I like the lines. But the complicated stowing process just kills it for me. Might as well get a Cabriolet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login