Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A few questions
Joanne in OC - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 12:56:03 am
I've been having some work done on my house, part of it is a garage make-over. During this time, I have not been able to keep my car in the garage, so it's been parked in my next door neighbors drive way for over 2 weeks. The major part of the construction and garage is done and I can now put my car back in the garage. My car is absolutely filthymoody smiley I was finally able to wash it today. I washed it twice. Pics below are before and after. It looks almost perfect again except the top. I don't usually use soap on the top but had to this time because of all the dirt. Well, it didn't get it all off. I then used a slightly damp microfiber towel and that got some of it off. I've done it about 3 times and it looks so much better, but I can tell there is still some dirt on it. What is the best way to get this small dust off the car??? The is from sawing the stone and also sawing the cabinets for the garage. Not sure if the epoxy from the floors had any dust.

Also, I had to have some fun after putting sprinklers in the new plantar and washing my car. So, I was attempting to put some memorabilia on the wall above the work bench in the garage. See the last pic, how do I get the Porsche letters to stick to the wall? The painters tape are holding them at the place I want them (that took a long time to get them straight). These are the letter that were taken off my current 981 when I had delivery. The sticky stuff is not sticky anymore and most of it is off. I tried Elmer's glue with the "P" and don't think it's working...... any suggestions???? I was able to use nails to put the wheel crests from my 1st Boxster on the wall.

My dirty car before it's major wash
[i266.photobucket.com]
Another view
[i266.photobucket.com]
It's clean!!!!
[i266.photobucket.com]
New garage work bench.... How do I get the letters to stick to the wall??
[i266.photobucket.com]
Re: A few questions
eicheldp - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 3:23:08 am
I might suggest some double sided carpet tape.
Ed B - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 9:00:31 am
Try the sticky side of painters tape on the top. I have an "Evercare" "Tacky Vac" Adhesive Cleaning Roller that works well.

www.evercare.com

Ed B
Joanne in OC - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 11:12:52 am
I have a tape roller and used it. Didn't work. I think the tile sand is very small
Ed B - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 4:14:04 pm
Have you tried RaggTopp Cleaner? Claims it will remove the toughest dirt and stains.

Ed B
Joanne in OC - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 5:47:36 pm
Thanks Ed
It's not a stain. It's very fine dust. I think I just need to be persistent

Joanne
db997S - Wednesday, 22 January, 2014, at 2:55:02 pm
Ragg Topp also has a "water proof" aspect to it. Use it a couple of times a year and the water will always bead up on the top. I know, you live in SoCa where the sunshines 350 days a year, but I think it also provides some anti-fading capabilities to it. You'll need a soft bristle brush for the washing part of the process.
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 12:00:48 pm
Yuck! That looked like quite the mess.

If the dust is just on the top, did you use a SOFT brush to gently scrub it? That might get it out. When the top on mine just gets dusty, I vacuum it with the soft brush attachment. Gets it nice and clean every time.

For the Porsche letters, have you tried double sided tape?
Joanne in OC - Monday, 20 January, 2014, at 5:49:33 pm
Thanks..... I didn't try to vacuum it. That's a good idea. I'll try it today.

As far as the letter, no I didn't do the tape because I don't want to see it and I don't have the patients to cut each letter on the tape. The guy who did the drywall just told me to try kitchen caulking. Said it'll fit inside the groves and it's easy to take off when I change my mind later.

Joanne
I always use a soft, long-bristled brush ( actually a soft, synthetic broom head from the Home Depot) to scrub my top gently. I expect the sand got in the texture of the weave. Water under pressure might work too - e.g.: power washer.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Just seems like alot of pressure for the top. I usually use it to clean the algae off the stone at my house.

BTW, when I bought my pressure washer last year, my friends all laughed at me. They were commenting that "only Joanne would buy power tools for herself". Then the comments of the Boxster were next.

Thanks
Joanne
Honestly, i dont know either. But keep two thigns in mind:
grant - Wednesday, 22 January, 2014, at 6:41:09 pm
1. you can control the pressure by how far you hold it from the surface
2. Nothing is worse than fine grit in the material - it acts like sandpaper and grinds it apart

Grant

Grant

That's why I'd like to get it out *NM*
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 22 January, 2014, at 6:50:53 pm
I'd be very reluctant to use a power washer on the top (or any other part of the car).

Instead, I'd suggest a brush with very soft bristles. If you look closely at the fabric of the top, you'll see the 'grain' of the fabric. By that, I mean there are groves, like corduroy, but finer. Brush with the grain, and the dirt will lift out. Use water as you do it. Then rinse it with a hose. You may have to do it a few times.

I think Porsche recommends not using soap. There are some safe soaps though - see below:

[www.autopia-carcare.com]
I agree with what Roger said about the power washer, which is good for concrete and maybe some wood applications. I wouldn't want to use it on a canvas convertible top.

That's a good link that Roger has regarding care of the Boxster top. One thing they don't mention in the article is where to wash it. When I wash the top, it's always in the shade so the cleaner doesn't dry while sitting on the material before I rinse it off.

I'd recommend the RaggTopp Fabric Top Car kit. I've used that to thoroughly clean the top using a soft brush and rinse it off. Once it's had a chance to completely dry, I put on the protectant.
Thanks .... what you are both suggesting is what I do. I don't usually use soap, only water. My top is down most of the time, and in the garage all week. Even with my first Boxster, my top looked like new. I did use the Ragg Top and no soap.

This is the first time that my top has been dirty and had difficulty in cleaning it. When I used the microfiber towel with water and just wiped the top, that seemed the best. I had to do it a few times. it looks much better, not sure if I got it all. I think I'll keep doing it for awhile to be sure.

Joanne
"My top is down most of the time..."

Oh, my...

winking smiley
..with even a soft brush. I'd also consider a soap or detergent to dissolves things as much as possible. Yes, then you need to re-apply lots of Ragg Topp, but right now the top is in danger. Step one is remove the abrasive. Step 2 is worry about 2nd and 3rd order effects.

I'm not saying pressure cleaning is clearly better, but i do not agree that pressure, set low and from a distance, is clearly worse.

Grant

Grant

Set low and from a distance
Roger987 - Friday, 24 January, 2014, at 12:23:13 pm
Set low enough and at a sufficient distance that it has the pressure of a garden hose. I'm good with that.smiling smiley
Roger987
I think Porsche recommends not using soap.

Actually they do and I purchased some back when I purchased my Boxster in 2000. Frankly, I thought the "shampoo" as they called it was a bit too mild and used regular car soap which was a bit, but not much stronger. Then 2 or three times a year, I would treat the top with 301.

[shop3.porsche.com]

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Post Falls Rob - Tuesday, 21 January, 2014, at 11:37:17 am
So...when can we expect to see some pics of the garage makeover? drinking smiley (The cabinets look great btw!)
Yeah, nice garage, Joanne!! *NM*
Meredith in Atlanta - Wednesday, 22 January, 2014, at 6:15:09 pm
They are putting in the last of the handles today
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 22 January, 2014, at 6:32:08 pm
I'll try to take pics soon. The owner of the company who did it wants before and after for his website. But, I was so embarrassed that I never took before shots. Not sure if he's still going to use the after pics.

Joanne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login