Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I am going to try and make it this year. Everything has settled down here, for now, anyway.
YEAH!!!! Party time smileys with beer *NM*
Joanne in OC - Friday, 24 January, 2014, at 12:59:01 pm
Where? LeMans or BRBS? winking smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 24 January, 2014, at 4:31:04 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Missed you at Daytona this year Rev!
jg wnc - Sunday, 2 February, 2014, at 9:37:52 am
Looking forward to catching up at BRBS! smileys with beer
OK, about ready to make a res at Switzerland Inn. What is the best building to be in? I don't need a suite, just something close to the bar smiling smiley The main building is good, eh?
I tried to make a reservation at the Switzerland inn (mid January) and received a response that they were full up for that time period and they would put me on a waiting list. I ended up at the Big Lynn Lodge because I wanted to make sure I had a room. Let me know if you're able to secure a room.
eicheldp
I tried to make a reservation at the Switzerland inn (mid January) and received a response that they were full up for that time period and they would put me on a waiting list. I ended up at the Big Lynn Lodge because I wanted to make sure I had a room. Let me know if you're able to secure a room.

If you had them put you on the waiting list, there's a good chance you'll get in at LS because plans change for some people who've already signed up. The earlier you called, the higher up you are on the waiting list, the better chance you will have of getting in there. Big Lynn lodge is only about a twisty mile down the road. Lot's of fun, maybe not so much after time at the Boxster Bar. grinning smiley
I will call them Monday and report my experience. Thank you for your responses.
Wow. Fifty years ago. *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 1 February, 2014, at 11:47:17 pm
Re: Wow. Fifty years ago.
Laz - Sunday, 2 February, 2014, at 10:55:49 am
I've got two originals of this poster that was a promotional giveaway at Gulf stations.
[automotivefilmfestival.com]
Saw the movie with my dad, and appropriately drove to the theater in my 912.
Re: Wow. Fifty years ago.
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 2 February, 2014, at 12:13:32 pm
Very cool.

What colour was your 912?

Did you get it repainted like Steve McQueen's car?

[www.youtube.com]
Irish Green to start,
Laz - Sunday, 2 February, 2014, at 2:46:10 pm
then Earl Scheib silver. Kind of like this:
[24.media.tumblr.com]
Mine had unfinished aluminum wipers, this car has black, which I don't think is correct 'cause this one looks like a 66 or 67.. There should be a front fendered antenna mast, which isn't showing in this image. Then again, between the cheapo changed color paint job, and the vinyl paint spray to change the interior from beige to black, I shouldn't talk! The vinyl spray was actually quite durable. Did the white headliner, too. What had a successful result was taking out the old, torn gray carpeting, using those pieces as templates, and cutting and fitting Ozite material. The whole interior looked pretty good. It had a 3 dial panel and the odometer and clock didn't work when I bought it (bad move!) but I got a speedo from the somewhat famous Stucker's junkyard that read kilometers. It had a 5 speed gearbox, which was nice and worked perfectly fine. The twin triple choke Solexes could never hold a proper idle, either making the engine go at 3,000 rpm when hot, and when adjusted hot, subsequent cold idle was near stall speed. I had the motor out, got new rings, and made a table to match the totally interchangeable pistons and cylinders for minimum clearance. Got 900 miles to the quart after the "rebuild." I didn't think that was so hot, but in retrospect it's actually decent. Oh, yeah: McQueen's car was some sort of deep green-gray.
Re: Irish Green to start,
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 2 February, 2014, at 4:24:57 pm
Guess I'll have to pull out my Le Mans video and have a look again, but I think you're right about the colour.

Sounds like yours was a pretty nice car, but a work in progress. At least with that speedo, you'd be able to safely drive along at 100 when everyone else had to stick to 60. grinning smiley

It could be that back in the late 60's, stereo. .... not even sure if a stereo, or even just a radio was standard. So it's possible to get one without antenna. I know for most cars it was an extra cost option. Much different from today when people by a stereo that comes with a car. I know a radio/stereo wasn't standard on my '73 Audi 100LS.

Here's a 912 I saw at Porsche Parade in Charlotte in 2008. Wish now I'd taken a close shot of the spec sheet.

This one didn't have an antenna either. Maybe original wiper arms?

Coincidently, just watching "Classic cars" on TV
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 3 February, 2014, at 8:33:57 pm
They just bought a '67 912 with under 60 K miles, from the original owner. Looked like Irish Green. Interior looked in great shape. Original owner had it repainted in the 70's. Had the arial on the left front fender.
My last BRBS...
Cris - Sunday, 2 February, 2014, at 1:28:43 am
Well, I'm sadden to say 2013 was my last year at BRBS, at least in my yellow Boxster. An opportunity has come up and I'll be moving to California in sometime in March. While 2013 was only my 4rd BRBS (amounts to some 16 total days?), most of the memorable moments in or near my Boxster were at BRBS, and esp. with the everyone at BRBS. BRBS was one thing I look forward to at beginning of each year, and May could never come soon enough.. For this year, I will miss the scavenger hunts, the BBQ dinner on the lawn, show & shine, drive and more drivers, and of course, everyone. I wish everyone a safe & fun trip! Remember, a state police may be waiting around the bend at the bottom of 261A near the church! smiling smiley

So, good news (for someone)... I did reserve at room for this year... and since I won't be using that room, I'll offer it up to someone who will get more use of it. The room # is 112, IIRC. It's on the ground level, facing the little stores & parking lot, close to the lobby. The room has a queen size bed, with a small-ish CRT tv. smiling smiley PM or email me - first person gets it.

And to help get over those BRBS Waiting Blues... here is a video from 2013...
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CqXSxlNuE[/video]

See everyone... some time in the future!
Moving to California is no excuse
Joanne in OC - Sunday, 2 February, 2014, at 5:09:21 pm
I live in SoCal ..... I've gone a few times, including last year. I'm planning on going this year as well. It's just too much fun, not to miss smiling smiley .... Years ago, I visited my daughter in Alexandria, VA. Then KTS, Bobby B, and a couple others picked me up on the interstate (I had never met them before). Oh my, stores we can tell from that first meeting. eye popping smiley ...... Last year I flew into Charlotte and rented a car. I do have to say it was much more fun when someone coordinated getting me to BRBS grinning smiley

The only thing I do regret is that I don't have my car.... But, that means I'm a passenger and have a great time riding with others and enjoying the surroundings as well. AND I can drink and not drive smiling smiley

Joanne
Re: Moving to California is no excuse
Cris - Saturday, 8 February, 2014, at 10:26:36 am
Yup.. i may do just that - fly-in, rent a car and catch up with everyone, though it'll likely be 2015 at the earliest. Enjoy BRBS 2014
Hey jg. I thought about coming to Daytona, then thought again. Too much of a circus, not enough of race. Pay for infield access and you can't get in because there are too many people riding the Ferris wheel. If I ever go again it will be in a motor home and just stay in there. Hope to see you soon Mon. smiling smiley
Second choice in Lodging? I am on the waiting list at Little Switzerland. Mountain View Inn appears to be closest as a backup. What would those who have been to BRBS in the area advise as a second lodging?
Rev Dennis
Second choice in Lodging? I am on the waiting list at Little Switzerland. Mountain View Inn appears to be closest as a backup. What would those who have been to BRBS in the area advise as a second lodging?

Try Big Lynn Lodge. About a mile down 226A from LS. I believe they will give a discount if you mention you're attending BRBS.
[www.biglynnlodge.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 09:26AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Got a room at Big Lynn Lodge. Thurs - Sat. Guess I am coming. Looking forward to seeing the old crowd and meeting some new people. Attended my first BRBS at Blowing Rock back in 2002. Happened to have lunch with a BRBSer/ESBBer today - the Other Dennis. smiling smiley Met him back in 2001 via PPBB. Thank you Chuck, and thank you Pedro and Stefan for continuing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login