Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Coolant light flashing
JackintheBoxster - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 3:54:52 pm
This seems odd. I just started up my car and the coolant (temp) light started flashing red. It seems odd because it's been cold here and the temp gauge didn't shoot up as was the case in past cars with a coolant leak. I shut the engine off for a moment and started it up again, no problem. I left the car in the garage and expect to take it into the shop tomorrow, but anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Re: Coolant light flashing
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 4:06:39 pm
Did you check the coolant level?
JackintheBoxster - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 4:10:12 pm
If it's low do I need to fill it with special Porsche coolant or can I use regualr Exxon coolant or water?
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 4:40:47 pm
JackintheBoxster
If it's low do I need to fill it with special Porsche coolant or can I use regualr Exxon coolant or water?

First check to see if it's coolant level is low. You can check it in the trunk. If it's just a bit low, you can try adding a few cups of distilled water. I if you need to add a lot, I would add a 50/50 mix of the Porsche coolant and distilled water. In this case you should also get the system pressure checked to see why you've lost a lot of coolant.

Have you noticed any puddles under the car?
JackintheBoxster - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 5:29:00 pm
Looks like there's no coolant in there at all. Not sure. No puddles under the car, though.
The coolant tank itself is knows for crackign as i recall
grant - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 6:42:24 pm
could also be a water pump beginning to go. Not uncommon for neither to leave a puddle - either could have puked while running.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Roger, thanks. I'll try that in the morning.
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 6:43:12 pm
Try adding a couple of cups of distilled water and see if it comes up far enough for you to see the level.

If you have a water pump with a leak around the shaft seal, you could be losing just a bit of coolant over time.
JackintheBoxster - Sunday, 26 January, 2014, at 6:51:46 pm
Roger, thanks.
while you may nto find a puddle, or see the stream, it is common to find the pink residue and work backwards.

Grant

Grant

Roger, thanks. I'm going to get some Magic Only for Porsches coolant today and fill it up and then take it into the shop. Fortunately here in D.C. it's pretty cold, so I may have less to worry about than I might in July. On the other hand, distilled water might not be as good an idea as it would other times of the year.
JackintheBoxster
Roger, thanks. I'm going to get some Magic Only for Porsches coolant today and fill it up and then take it into the shop. Fortunately here in D.C. it's pretty cold, so I may have less to worry about than I might in July. On the other hand, distilled water might not be as good an idea as it would other times of the year.

I'm not familiar with Magic Only, but if it's supposed to plug leaks, I wouldn't recommend using it as it can clog up things in the cooling system that can lead to more expensive repairs.

Like Grant said, if you can get under the car and find any dried pink areas around the water pump or coolant tank, that would let you know if it's leaking from one of those two areas.

I don't think a few cups of distilled water would dilute the coolant too much since the Boxster's coolant system hold about 24 quarts.
ok, thanks. Am heading over to my shop today and will ask the guy about coolant. He replaced the engine, so I trust him.
What's Magic only? Avoid snake oil. Put in water ( distilled)
grant - Tuesday, 28 January, 2014, at 8:14:54 am
Just watch the temp like a hawk. In fact, dont watch the temp. watch the first derivative and anticipate. It goes bad fast.

Grant

Got it from the Porsche shop. Put it in, drove over today, we'll see what happens.
JackintheBoxster - Friday, 31 January, 2014, at 3:31:32 pm
Apparently was a minor leak in a hose, indy mechanic said don't worry about it, going over to pick up car, no charge from him.

Who says Porsche maintenance is expensive?
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 31 January, 2014, at 5:17:43 pm
JackintheBoxster
Apparently was a minor leak in a hose, indy mechanic said don't worry about it, going over to pick up car, no charge from him.

Who says Porsche maintenance is expensive?

Did he replace the hose for free? Wow. That is great service/price.
JackintheBoxster - Friday, 31 January, 2014, at 7:03:15 pm
He either repanced or fixed it free and gave me, at my insisence, a jug of coolant just in case, also free. He promised to try to remember to overcharge me next time.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 31 January, 2014, at 7:31:50 pm
Sounds like a trustworthy mechanic.

Glad you got it all sorted so you can enjoy your car again.
JackintheBoxster - Saturday, 1 February, 2014, at 10:48:06 am
Checkout drive today; 300 miles RT to Jesey. Hope the bridges aren't blocked.
I do that all the time ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 5 February, 2014, at 10:10:56 am
... promise to overcharge next time, then ... I forget to do it smiling smiley
Many times it's a quick fix that takes a few minutes and it's way better to send the customer off happy by not charging anything.
I've had a few where they came with a minor coolant leak and it turned out to be a hose which got pinched at the end by the spring clamp.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login