Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Ordered a brake bleeder today....
Rob in CO - Sunday, 23 January, 2011, at 12:21:29 am
from Motive Products. One of the choices of "where did you hear about us" was Pedros Garage. I looked at his website beforehand and noticed the brand name of what he was using. That was enough for me. I don't post much here but I lurk somewhat frequently and have bought products from Pedro and been completely satisfied. His online DIY instructions are absolutely the best available and I wish to say thank for that and for keeping this board alive.
Re: Ordered a brake bleeder today....
JM-Stamford,CT - Sunday, 23 January, 2011, at 11:38:04 am
I, too, have a motive bleeder.

I did however modify the procedure a bit. It saves cleanup at the expense of a second pump pressurization.

1) remove screen from brake master cylinder

2) w/ turkey baster remove as much fluid as possible from the reservoir

3) fill reservoir almost to the brim with new fluid - alternate colors blue vs. gold

4) attach motive - pressure to 18lbs.

5) bleed rears - check reservoir - open the bleeder (AT THE TANK NOT THE RESERVOIR)

6) refill to top - then re pressurize tank.

7) bleed clutch - check reservoir - sometimes I don't have to refill to do fronts.

8) do fronts

9) fill to spec.

The key is never to let the fluid run out of the reservoir. If in doubt add fluid.
And I'll take the other side of this one!
grant - Monday, 24 January, 2011, at 12:18:54 pm
Jm is right on with his final caveat - dont let it run dry. Problem is, it can happen.

I strongly advise that you follow the directions and put the fluid in the motive. Clean up is easy - warm water, air dray, and if you are anal, run a little alcohol through it. or not.

On other cars you may also find that the reservoir is absolutely TINY and you may run dry very, very easily. e.g.; Audi C5 S6 (maybe all C5s, i dont know). The pain iof getting air int he system far outweighs the savings of not pouring in the fluid.

Just my two cents.

Grant
You say "less filling". I say "tastes great".
Boxsterra - Monday, 24 January, 2011, at 12:23:08 pm
The fluid level drops super slowly. You would have to be not paying attention for a long time to let the reservoir run dry. I just check after each wheel (or clutch bleed) and I never get even close to there being a problem.
Is it possible to run dry -- yup... Likely? Nope.
JM-Stamford,CT - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 9:34:40 am
just pay attention. You have to stand up between points anyway.

I have never come remotely close to running dry -- again - when in doubt.... refill
Brake fluid does NOT taste great! :-) *NM*
grant - Thursday, 27 January, 2011, at 9:53:27 am
I concur winking smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 27 January, 2011, at 10:03:03 am
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Ordered a brake bleeder today....
01sman - Sunday, 23 January, 2011, at 2:50:57 pm
Which brings me to a question I have been wondering about. My 01S has PSM (Porsche Stability Management) which has extra valves, piping, etc. over the standard non-PSM systems. My question is can you effectively change all of the fluid in our cars with the PSC without somehow activating the computer that is controlling this system? I do not track my car, so am not being aggressive on the brakes. I have been changing my fluid every two years with a Motive bleeder and use ATE gold and blue fluid alternately. Thanks!
If you have either totally drained the system or opened up the pump and valving system for repairs. For regular brake system flushes, it is not necessary....

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login