Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Mobil 1 vs Total
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 5 February, 2014, at 3:03:18 am
I went to get my car tech'd today for the driver's training and autocross this weekend. PCA had a list of places to go for free. There is a new place which is a 1/4 mile from my house, so I went there. They have been in business for 2 years now and I never notices them before. When I asked about them servicing my car they are very reasonably priced for oil changes. I was going to do this at 5K. Then I asked about the oil and they said they use Total Oil. Told me the US uses Mobile 1 but Europe uses Total. It's cheaper and marketing.

How do the 2 oils differ and will it be ok to use?

Joanne
Re: Mobil 1 vs Total
Ed B - Wednesday, 5 February, 2014, at 9:10:42 am
I have been using Mobil 1 in my Boxster S, 944 Turbo and our Audis for some time. My 2004 GT 3 came with Total when I bought it with 3600 miles When I changed the oil at 10000 miles, the viscosity was noticeably better than Mobil 1 with the same mileage. I'll be changing all my cars to Total

Ed B.
MikenOH - Wednesday, 5 February, 2014, at 9:39:55 am
Joanne
I think Pedro's website has a listing of all the Porsche approved oils, which include a few from Total.
The important designation on the oil is that it is Porsche approved--A40 rating (IIRC) which means it can be used in your car.
Since you live in CA and it doesn't get down below freezing with any frequency, I would think a 5W-40 weight would work well for you.
I put in Castrol 5W-40 Edge (an A40 rated oil) in my last oil change and the engine seems noticeably quieter.

Ed--did you do an oil analysis on both?
moresquirt - Wednesday, 5 February, 2014, at 10:22:39 am
The Castrol Edge 5/40 is good,been useing that now for 3 years (1 change per year) approx 6500 miles each change.What i noticed is after about 9000 kilometers (5500 miles)
i start to get lifter noise,once i change it out,no more noise.This happens every time,not a one time thing.This year i changed to Motul 8100 X-cess 5/40 with more Zinc content.
Will see how that holds up and report this fall at same mileage when i useally do the oil change before winter storage.
Ed B - Thursday, 6 February, 2014, at 9:46:57 am
No,I didn't have the oil analyzed. There was no reason to. There is enough data on line comparing various oils that indicate that Total and Motul are superior lubricants.

Ed B
Its fine. A bit more inside
grant - Monday, 10 February, 2014, at 11:45:04 am
First, with a few exceptions, brands matter less than the specs and the type of oil. Everyone makes great oils and everyone makes cheaper, less great oils. Even that's a stretch - few oils are "good" or "bad" its mroe a "right oil for the right application".

So there is no problem with Total /ELF per se. In fact, they are excellent oils.

The total /ELF quartyz synthetic 5w40 is pretty much ideal for our cars when driven "normall" - not in the arctuic, not on the track. It is in fact one of my preferred brands/blends. It has better hot viscosity and HTHS numbers than M1 0w40. But again, i stress that this only matters when the oilis quite hot, and the motor under high load and spinning very fast. That';s why its "high temperatire and huigh speed shear" :-)

A buddy who's head of field tech for Audi, when asked what kind of oil to use, say "the fresh, clean kind".

Bottom line - if they are careful, competent people, they can use any opf the brands - just use the right version - typically 5w40, synthetic, meeting ACEA A3/B4, and with a high Total Base Number (so it can stay there a long time and fight acid). TBN is critical for the unwisely-long drain intervals Porsche suggests.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 11:47AM by grant. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login