Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Installed Pedro's enthusiast motor mount today ...
DFW02S - Sunday, 23 January, 2011, at 11:46:32 pm
And I love it! It definitely changes the shifting dynamics and that 3k shudder is gone.
I also used his instructions for the mount and water pump and they were more detailed and more helpful than the other resource I had available.

Well done Pedro, another happy customer!
I got the track version...
Byron in Atlanta - Monday, 24 January, 2011, at 10:13:06 pm
It's a sure fire way to keep the wife out of the car!
I think you got the right version...
DFW02S - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 1:31:06 am
Having about 20 miles on it (talk about a small sample) I think you got it right and I should have taken the track version too.
Re: I think you got the right version...
SRG - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 9:38:26 am
Just to put out another data point:

I put one of Pedro's enthusiast motor mounts in my '01 base Boxster 3 months ago. I bought the car w/ 40k mi. on it and it has 52k on it now. I've had the new mount in the car for 2k mi.

When we removed my old mount it was quite broken and probably had been for some time - maybe since I bought the car.

The new mount is obviously much stiffer than the old broken one. With the old mount in the car, I never felt the 3000 to 3500 rpm buzz much at all. Well the buzz is there for sure w/ the new mount. I'm positive that Pedro's enthusiast mount is an improvement over the fragile stock one, but the vibes go up - in my case quite a bit. My car is a daily driver and gets autocrossed and the enthusiast mount is as stiff as I would want to go. If the track mount is stiffer yet, I think it would be way stiff for street use. Pedro named these mounts correctly.

SRG
2004 2.7 5-sp.

I replaced my OEM mount @ about 35,000 miles, including about 15 track days and lots of Autocrosses. It had the beginning of tears around the voids.

The big flaws that made me suspect the mount were a) something that felt like a wheel out of balance between 3-4k; and increasingly vague shifting under heavy load (e.g.: heel and toe etc tough on the track).

On the other hand, with the broken OEM mount it was always silky smooth revving and decel-ing through the 3k range. With the enthusiast mount there is a significant, course, vibration through the car (e.g.; interior pieces rattle) around 3200. On light load slow decel there is a full-blown racket through a fairly wide reve range, centered around 3200-3400 ish.

Pedro's mount is clearly tougher and will last longer. The shifting is more precise, and your butt feel for shifting and matching is better. The "out of balance" vibration is gone. So much is very good.

But i cant help feel that some people lack the very pronounced coarseness i feel -so many seem to think this is a 100% win situation. I keep hearing "the 3k vibration is gone". On mine "the 3k vibration appeared out of nowhere". For me, its a difficult trade off.

I do wonder how the upgraded Cayman S part (the standard replacement for all now) compares......

Could it be MY dependent? Some oddball install glitch on mine ( i did it)?

Anyway, a nice product, but a bunch stiffer. a no-brainer for a largely track or play car.

Grant
My experience matches yours.
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 11:36:39 am
1998 2.5L 135K -- Grant, I agree with your analysis.

I installed the Enthusiast version of the Techno Mount about a year ago (around 130K miles or so; the first factory mount was replaced at around 60K).

I race the car about 8 times a year, and it's used as a daily driver with a very short commute otherwise. When I talked to Pedro he suggested the Enthusiast version rather than the Race version. I'm very happy with it and it absolutely fixed the problem the worn factory mount was causing. However, the extra stiffness does add harshness to the overall "vibe" of the car, compared to the factory mount. Perfect for me. The 3200 RPM zone is where it is most noticeable, and that is a new thing that was not present with the factory mount. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me, but it's present. (For me, the worn mount caused a horrible vibration on a hard right turn -- until I realized it could be the motor mount I was sure the left rear wheel or axle was grinding -- I think the noise was because the engine leaned just far enough to make something on it touch something else on the car.)
My experience is the same.
Rob in CO - Sunday, 30 January, 2011, at 11:12:43 am
I have had the enthusiast mount in for a couple of years now. 2001 S. Some increase in vibration and noise was immediately apparent over the worn stock mount. I did it to improve shifter feel with the B&M and in that regard, it was a complete success. Overall, I like the feel much, much better and do not find the additional "butt feel" vibration bothersome. Others would probably feel differently if silky smooth is a priority for them in a sportscar. It is not for me.
Re: Installed Pedro's enthusiast motor mount today ...
ugleeual - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 7:29:05 pm
What's the difference in price for both types of mounts? What equipment you need to swap it out? DIY project?
ugleeual
What's the difference in price for both types of mounts? What equipment you need to swap it out? DIY project?

Racing version $159 plus S&H, Enthusiast version $153 plus S&H. You can subtract $50 from the cost of each if you turn in a core.

No special tools needed.

Here's a link to Pedro's DIY: [pedrosgarage.com]

Regards, Maurice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login