Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My Christmas present was to attend the Porsche Driving School
Bob D - Monday, 24 January, 2011, at 5:11:48 pm
with my son in Birmingham, AL. I own a 2008 Cayman S so would like to drive other models but still would like to drive the Cayman at the track to learn more about the car's abilities. Any advice from those who have attended one of these schools? Tips on good local restaurants? Thanks, Bob.
Make sure you've got plenty of tread on your tires and plenty of gas in your tank. I've done a couple of Driver Education days.

It's a hoot! Yes, you do get to test your car and your driving ability. Be a little careful, though. You can go off and do some damage.
I doubt it. The policy's small print needs to be read. Timed events are excluded, although DE's are educational. Safest thing is to talk to your agent. Or don't crash.
Some do, some dont.
grant - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 1:58:57 pm
My policy is ambiguous - it excepts "timed events" and "competition events". DE is neither.

Others will give you one freebie. I've seen this twice.

Others exclude everything track related.

PCA sells track insurance by the event. I buy it. Stated value, about $200 for me all in.

However, i thought the Driving Experience used their cars anyway?

Grant
The Porsche Driving School is not a DE ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 8:43:44 am
... you don't drive your own car, but you do drive a bunch of Porsches such as the Boxster Spyder, Carrera S, Carrera Turbo, Cayman, Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo and Panamera Turbo in different environments.
Their instructors are top-notch and are, among others: Hurley Haywood and Brian Cunningham.
A few people on this board have taken the school which is offered in 1, 2 or 3 day versions and ultimately gets you a Racing License if you so desire.
It's not cheap, but from what I've heard from anyone who has done it's certainly worth it.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: My Christmas present was to attend the Porsche Driving School
whall - Tuesday, 25 January, 2011, at 10:01:26 am
Bob,

I sent "ol' Lead Foot" (my wife) to the two day school a couple of years ago and have the following observations:

1. The school, equipment and instruction is FIRST CLASS.

2. The course starts off both mornings (two day course) with class room instruction.

3. Boxsters were used in the autocross training session; Carreras were used (with/without PSM) in the skidpad training session, Caymans were used in the heel and toe training session; Carreras were used (with PSM "off switch" disabled) in the track sessions; finally Cayennes were used in an off course all terrain vehicle session.

4. The social part of the package was centered around the "suggested" hotel, a rather expensive hotel. No Motel 6 for Porsche owners! Dinner (and Happy Hour) after the first day's instruction is at the hotel. Everyone in my wife's class stayed at the suggested hotel. Transportation is provided from hotel to track and back. I presume some students have stayed in less expensive accommodations and driven themselves to the track and McDonald's.

Check out the following links:

[www.porschedriving.com]

Click on the details listed under the Porscge logo on left side of screen.

[www.porschedriving.com]

Notice how driver coasts up to the braking point.....see criticism below.

If there is one criticism I would mention....it would be the lack of training with the student in the car with the instructor. The students follow the instructor around the course (five or six in a train) emulating the line the car shouild follow. The problem is that the student never sees first hand how the throttle is full on until the braking point is reached then full/nearly full braking is applied. Most students are off the gas coasting to the braking point, i.e., normal street driving. This tends to stretch the cars out to the point that "tail end charley" is sometimes out of sight of the instructor.

BTW, I paid an extra $125 to be able to sit in class and sit as a passenger in the instructor's car during the race course phase. I got to do 10-12 laps with Hurley Haywood.

My criticism aside, it was a lot of fun for my wife and she learned quite a bit which she uses at BRBS!

Bill
Here are a couple of good restaurants
Clam - Wednesday, 26 January, 2011, at 11:43:21 am
Bottega - Bottega
You can't go wrong with a Frank Stitts place

Gian Marcos - Gian Marcos

Incredible Italian, and more. Very small , and very popular, so probably need to call and reserve a spot. Sometimes you can just get in and sit at the bar. There's a cool "kitchen " table where you can watch everything being prepared.

Brio - Brio

For lighter fare - Chuy's and Flip Burger at the Summit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login