Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Blown Engine (I think)
IFlyLow - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 9:32:31 am
So, I was on dead-empty, limping to the gas station, when my 01 S stalled. (about 2000 RPM, accelerating) I figured I was out of gas, so dropped a few gallons in and cranked it again. It was slow to start (30 seconds) and when it did, it was super-rough, and there was a metallic clanking (My guess is valve/piston on one bank) At first, I chalked it up to air in the lines, or something, It didn't improve, so I shut it down after ten seconds and towed it home.
I'm leaning toward timing chain/something related to timing chain because:
When cranking, it sounded very uneven, like a compression issue on half of the cylinders
When it started, it sounded like one bank was running, the other bank was making a racket. The clank was pretty rhythmic, and pretty loud
IMS Bearing was upgraded 20K ago, by me. As always, when something breaks, I assume it was something I did, until I can prove otherwise.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
2000S at 47K miles

After towing the car to the dealer, we started up the car.... slow to start but did and sounded awful... metal clanking... yikes! I visited the mechanic during the engine replacement and he said it didn't seem to be the IMS but he was not sure.

He showed me the oil filter.... starry starry night..... full of chunks.

Good luck. So sorry to hear this.

If you engine is declared dead, link up with Grant as he successfully found a used engine and appears very happy with it. Another althernative is Jake Raby..... for about the same cost as a replacement engine from Porsche (approx $22K IIRC), you can have one that has been upgraded with more HP and all the failure modes addressed (he was pretty backed up the last time I spoke to him).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Sounds like a timing jump to me
grant - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 2:42:03 pm
i cannot imagne that if one had a true mechanical failure it would turn at all. It sounds like you are very near to catastrophe. I would not run, crank etc the car until someone knowledgeable takesa look. Internet diagnosis may be good for the soul, btu its bad for the motor.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
It could have broken ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 2:45:07 pm
... a rod and be running on 5 cylinders.
The broken rod would make an awful lot of noise as the OP describes.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Sounds like a timing jump to me
IFlyLow - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 3:16:13 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I'm taking it to Black Forest Auto in San Diego on Friday. I'll let you know what they say. If its bad news, like I expect, I'll probably part the car out. sad smiley
Andy from Newport - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 11:42:45 pm
Black Forest is a super-reputable shop. If it turns out to be a blown engine, I may be able to help you. I have a friend who is a consummate "collector of stuff". He mentioned to me that he had a Boxster engine, still in a crate, of about that vintage. It is a new engine I think. I have no idea what he would want for it, except that he has no use for it for sure. So, if in despair, I will call him for you and see what the deal might be. I am in Newport and so is he, and that is not all that far from San Diego. By the way I have no stake in this whatsoever, but if I can help I will. Let me know if I can help. Andy
Classy response Andy.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 13 March, 2014, at 4:33:35 pm
and displacement would probably need to match
IFlyLow - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 9:25:20 am
Thanks for the help. I just saw your post, I will know more this afternoon on the condition of the car, but I may PM you later on it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login