Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
... such as the Air/Oil Separator, Water Pump, Droplinks, Control Arms and the most forgotten about one, the Front Engine Mount.
Many wear items will offer symptoms of their wear, such as noise, smoke on startup, etc.
But the Front Engine Mount in the Boxster or the Transmission Mount in the Carrera once it cracks it will deteriorate very slowly which allows you to adjust to it.
These are cores from front Engine Mounts that I've seen just this year

[i83.photobucket.com]

After about 45,000 miles the rubber core will crack. After it cracks it starts to wear down because of the engine's movement, eventually releasing the core.

[i83.photobucket.com]

The metal frame doesn't wear so what we do to save customers money is that we press out the bad core.

[i83.photobucket.com]

Then, we use the new core for the 2008 Cayman S and ...

[i83.photobucket.com]

... we press it in place, after having cleaned the frame.
The result is a perfect new front Engine Mount at a much reduced cost.

[i83.photobucket.com]

For the Carreras we can only replace the core when the car is brought to us, as it's part of the transmission, but contrary to most other shops, we developed a way to do it with the transmission on the car, again saving a ton of money to the customer.

Here's my "Not-So-Obvious" Tech Article that will appear in three dozen or so PCA Regional Newsletters:
[pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 12:58PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
motor mount.

Do later ('09+) Boxsters and Caymans both S and non-S come with this improved/longer lasting motor mount?
The 2009 and newer have the 9A1 engine.
The engine mount for these cars has new9A1 part numbers and I really haven't compared them side-to-side.
I would guess that these cars have at least the same characteristics as the 2008 cores, if not better.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

with my '06, shifting was still smooth, with no vibrations on the original front mount after 63 K miles. Maybe just my gentle driving style.
Hmmm.....my 2001 has about 105k miles on it and the engine mount has never been replaced. What are the symptoms of a worn engine mount? how much does it cost to replace?
With that mileage...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 5:33:40 pm
... I can GUARANTEE that it's broken and worn.
The symptoms are:
Stiffer gear shifts
Movement (vertical) of the engine under acceleration and braking which can cause clunking noise).
Movement (horizontal) of the engine under hard turns which can damage transmission mounts, damage CV Joints and Half Axles.
It takes about 1.5 - 2.0 hours to replace.
Cost of our remanufactured unit, TechnoMount $109.00.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: With that mileage...
boxsterd - Friday, 14 March, 2014, at 2:20:56 pm
I do hear some faint clunking going over rough roads but i believe that's due to the suspension/control arms? Besides that I don't have any other symptoms you list.
Is this the part you're talking about:

[www.suncoastparts.com]
Thanks for the reminder.

I've got a new upgraded OEM mount sitting in the cupboard in my garage. I've got about 65-70,000miles on my '01S. I put in a Pedro Enthusiast mount the 1st year I had the car around August 2009 (45,000miles). I've decided I don't like the vibration it causes.

I'm thinking about trying to press in a new rubber core in my pedro mount to have as a spare. I've cut out bushing's before (drill out/tear out rubber, then put a thin kerf in the bushing to be pressed out with a hacksaw. Did you make your own press cup? Could you share pics of it? I'm set up with a good woodworking setup, and have made bushing press pieces out of wood.

Just something I want to tinker with if I get spare time this summer.

Peter
I use a 20 ton shop press ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 14 March, 2014, at 11:01:44 am
... and several custom-made cups.
Wood will not hold up to the pressure.
Not worth the investment unless you're doing multiple re-cores.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

I have a 12 ton press......
Petee_C - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 10:17:42 am
I'll take a closer look at it when I get the new OEM one in.....

Peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login