Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New Clutch, Flywheel.... Yowza!
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 18 March, 2014, at 8:34:39 pm
When I got this 2010 Boxster in November of 2013, I hadn't driven a manual in a couple of years, so my expectations weren't very high. When the Porsche Service told me I needed a new clutch, I was very skeptical. They installed it at their cost (PCO)..... and ....

WOWOWOW! What a difference! This thing is smooth as butter and I am so thrilled with it. The service guy swore I'd stall on the way home, but no way - it was awesome.... perfect, in fact.

Feels like a brand new car! We are so fortunate to be driving these wonderful machines. I've never been happier with a car (fact is, I just keep getting happier with them)... it's all shiny and clean...
So, is the pedal pressure less stiff?
Tony in Whittier - Tuesday, 18 March, 2014, at 8:57:05 pm
Did you get that new battery? I hope they installed the OEM version.
Excellent
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 19 March, 2014, at 10:05:31 am
What all did they replace? I'm curious.
Re: New Clutch, Flywheel.... Yowza!
MikenOH - Wednesday, 19 March, 2014, at 3:45:04 pm
Meredith in Atlanta
When I got this 2010 Boxster in November of 2013, I hadn't driven a manual in a couple of years, so my expectations weren't very high. When the Porsche Service told me I needed a new clutch, I was very skeptical. They installed it at their cost (PCO)..... and ....

WOWOWOW! What a difference! This thing is smooth as butter and I am so thrilled with it. The service guy swore I'd stall on the way home, but no way - it was awesome.... perfect, in fact.

Feels like a brand new car! We are so fortunate to be driving these wonderful machines. I've never been happier with a car (fact is, I just keep getting happier with them)... it's all shiny and clean...

Glad to hear it was resolved to your satisfaction and it didn't cost you any money.

Having said that, I have to wonder how it passed the CPO if it was that noticeable.
Good question!
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 25 March, 2014, at 9:22:27 pm
After being on vacation for a few days, came back and drove the new clutch today for the 2nd time since I picked it up last week. The difference is dramatic.

I don't know how it passed CPO. The fact that Porsche paid for it makes me think they realized they should have caught it.

Whatever, I'm thrilled! Got a new battery but didn't know there was a new OEM ver. Will check! smiling smiley
A couple of times I have come across CPO cars with issues. In one particular case the owner drove the car several thousand miles including a trip up to Tahoe and around on mountain roads then back again. No doubt there was some spirited driving involved.

The brake warning light came on and of course he complained that it should not have come on. The diagnosis was wear, nothing else. The tech who inspected the car told me that when he checked it the brakes were fine, that is the light was not on, there were no signs of any mechanical issues like scoring, cracking, and the pad material was above the minimum thickness. However, this does not mean the brakes were like new, only that they required no attention at that time to bring the car up to what was considered CPO level.

This highlights the importance of even if the car is a CPO car to giving the car a thorough test drive and checking things like tires, tire wear patterns (for alignment issues), and brake condition, and so on.

But back to your car from what you have posted it reads like the dealer let the car out with a clearly questionable clutch. Now it could be that its condition did not fall into the CPO guidelines of what would have triggered any action and the dealer seeking to improve its bottom line let the car out with its fingers crossed.

The result is it had to spend the money anyway, and the customer's experience was diminished which costs something over a number of customers (lost future sales either directly or through word of mouth and the possibly the customer will seek out another shop for his or her car's service needs).
MarcW

The result is it had to spend the money anyway, and the customer's experience was diminished which costs something over a number of customers (lost future sales either directly or through word of mouth and the possibly the customer will seek out another shop for his or her car's service needs).

Right, Marc. In this case, they made good and I will continue to be their customer. But it was close!
Not to mention the clutch, repeatedly :-)
grant - Friday, 28 March, 2014, at 4:57:04 pm
Anyway, it all ended well. But i'd still be leery about that dealer.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login