Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
To brake sensor or NOT to brake sensor?
atwnsw - Thursday, 20 March, 2014, at 8:36:51 pm
I ordered a replacement set of front brake pads and will have somebody locally install them (It might be an easy DIY but I am not comfortable messing with them). My car is a 2006 Boxster S and I have approx 15% front brake pads left. The sensor has not gone off.

I called a local shop and they strongly advised me to replace the sensor at the same time since they said it will break in most instances when removing it.

On the one hand it is better to have them on hand if they break it but after reading many posts, it seems that as long as the sensor has not gone off, they shouldn't break during removal.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. My car has 30,000 miles so I assume (?) the car doesn't need rotors.
Re: To brake sensor or NOT to brake sensor?
Ed B - Friday, 21 March, 2014, at 9:36:25 am
Your shop is correct. They frequently break when you try to remove them. A little corrosion on the pads is enough to keep them from removal without breaking. They aren't expensive. Better to have some on hand.
If you check your pads frequently, just zip tie the sensors to the springs.

Ed B
Re: To brake sensor or NOT to brake sensor?
whall - Friday, 21 March, 2014, at 9:51:47 am
Autohausaz sells the sensors for $8.85 (OEM) or $3.98 (after-market) each. (986/996)

No dog in the fight; just a satisfied customer.

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 09:55AM by whall. (view changes)
On the older ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 21 March, 2014, at 9:49:04 am
... 986s it's very easy to remove and reuse the brake sensors.
Those are the "pin" type that go into a hole in the pad.
On the 987s the architecture is different and the sensor has a much larger area which is subjected to the heat from the rotor and pad.
All this heat makes the plastic material very brittle and they tend to break.
If they can be carefully pried off without breaking they can be reused, but it's probably better just to replace them altogether when replacing the pads.
In my particular case, since I go o the track so often I just jumpered my sensors so i dont get a warning light and don't use them at all.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 09:50AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
and replacing them before the sensors have gone off. They are not expensive, but I have reused them for many times before accidentally breaking one.
BTW, the "sensor" is just a copper wire. When the wire breaks, then the light on the dash comes on...nothing magical about them :-)
I saw the retail price of sensors and was wondering if it was worth $100 to buy. Once I realized they are only about $10 each, I bought them.

Thank you to everybody who replied to my post.

You know that this board is great when a moron can post a stupid question without getting slammed (which, in this case, I deserved!)

smiling smiley
atwnsw
I saw the retail price of sensors and was wondering if it was worth $100 to buy. Once I realized they are only about $10 each, I bought them.

Thank you to everybody who replied to my post.

You know that this board is great when a moron can post a stupid question without getting slammed (which, in this case, I deserved!)

smiling smiley

Moron...I think not. We all learn form these posts.

If you did not post this on in regards to brake sensors..I would have been unaware what brake sensors are worth or how they work...now I knowthumbs up...Thank you for your postsmiling smiley

Michael

MIKELLIG
It is the
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 24 March, 2014, at 9:03:04 pm
moron who doesn't ask the question he doesn't know the answer to. You aren't one.

Besides, the answer is now searchable.
You're no moron ....... I've asked my share of questions which everyone knows the answers except me. I think that's what most are here for, to help others. Many times I feel kinda silly after posting my question, and at times have had some "smart alek" remarks back. But, some of the remarks are quite witty and funny. I just go with it and later realize that "yes, it was a silly question/comment" and have a good laugh.

Joanne
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
"Knowledge" is useless unless shared :-)
RainyDayGarage - Thursday, 3 April, 2014, at 3:11:59 pm
The reason why this board works is because of the generosity of those who freely share what they know.
Most of the "Boxster knowledge" we have acquired were learned on this board!

It gave us the confidence to venture forth and tackle various DIYs without repeating the same mistakes other have already made.
Of course, we have managed to make many brand new ones...which we are happy to share when appropriate :-)
I haev had shorting plugs on the wires for years now on all 3 cars.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login