Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Gearshift stiff when engine is cold
Rundtinden - Wednesday, 26 March, 2014, at 4:39:07 pm
Hi!
I experience a stiff gearshift when the engine is cold. It shifts OK, no noise but it does need some force to select gear. When warmed up feels fine. 99 boxster 2.5. Any suggestions appreciated!
Svein
while more effort is needed you should not have to force the transmission into a gear.

If you are finding you have to do this it could be time for a transmission/diff fluid change, or (and) a brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed.

About the latter: My 02 Boxster was exhibiting uncharacteristic behavior when moving from a stopping. Shudder/judder no matter how carefully I was with the clutch engagement. Also, shifting was more difficult that normal, under cold and warm conditions. With so many miles on the original clutch and original transmission I suspected the worse, but I got to thinking and on a hunch call the SM at the dealer and he looked it up and found the Boxster had its last brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed over 2.5 years ago. I had the car in for this service the transformation was remarkable. I might add the tranny fluid was relatively fresh.

Believe it or not my 996 was starting to develop a bit of a judder taking off too and today when I dropped the car off to have its oil/filter service done the SM looked through the service records and it has been over 2 years since I have the brake/clutch fluid flushed/bled so this was done today along with the oil/filter service. Oh, the tranny fluid was changed at 90K miles or 30K miles ago. And at 110K miles the RMS was done and the clutch disc and other hardware showed no measureable wear so I did not suspect the clutch was wearing out. 'course, I do not know how the clutch now feels as I have not driven the car yet after this service.

Anyhow, consider a transmission fluid change and a brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed unless these are current and the right transmission fluid was used.
Fluid Change
Roger987 - Thursday, 27 March, 2014, at 9:53:09 am
Re: Fluid Change
Rundtinden - Thursday, 27 March, 2014, at 4:56:12 pm
Thank you all. The car has 90 000 km on it. Runs strong. Shifts very nice when warmed up. When cold I don`t have to force it in gear, just feels stiffer. Going for new engine mount and new fluid!

Svein
A fluid change at 90km is a bit early, but there is nothing wrong with doing it early. An early change has no real downside while a too late change can be, well, too late. (The 5-speed fluid change requires just 0.3 hours labor and several liters of fluid. Last time I had the Boxster transmission fluid changed the shop had some fluid left over from warranty repairs and sold this fluid to me at $5/liter. The 6-speed requires a bit more time, but not much more, and I do not recall if it requires any more fluid.)

For the mount, I'd not change it unless it was found to be bad. They do not have to be acting up to be bad. A tech found the front mount of my Boxster cracked (the rubber insert) upon inspection at I do not recall exactly how many miles but it was not far over 100K miles. I do not recall any symptoms arising from this bad mount nor do I recall detecting any changes after it was replaced. However, the mount was not real bad. Had I continued to drive the car and the mount deteriorated further who knows how it would have felt, what other behavior I would have experienced?
fluid flush/bleed and the clutch feels better. The bit of shudder/judder that was present -- and uncharacteristic of the clutch -- is now gone.

After picking up the car yesterday afternoon, I spent the rest of the day in the car driving it in town -- getting my Mom to/from a doctor's appointment and so other around town errands -- and had plenty of chances for the shudder/judder symptom to appear.

I can't detect any different feel from the brakes. They have always been superb -- in the Boxster too -- and have never exhibited any change after a fluid flush/bleed. I do point out that while the brakes have not manifested any odd behavior from old fluid nor have they manifested any improved behavior after the fluid service, the hardware has lasted a long long time.

Before this I always took the 2 year brake flush/bleed schedule to be required on faith. But now with the very real degradation in clutch behavior with older fluid (granted older than 2 years, 2.5+ years in the Boxster and I do not know how old in the 996) and the remarkable improvement after the flush/bleed I no longer have to rely on faith but on experience.
... a worn front engine mount.
When the rubber wears down enough it puts more pressure on the shifter cables making it harder to shift gears.
How long has that engine mount been in place?
The OEM mounts last less than 50K miles.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Well...
grant - Thursday, 27 March, 2014, at 2:55:18 pm
How many miles and what kind of life has it lived?

My 2004 2.7 5-sp (same Audi unit and yours) is very smooth after 55k miles and lots of track days.

OTOH, my track car, a 2000S with 207,000 miles on it (6-speed Porsche unit) is rediculously cantankerous when cold - mostly when very cold. This is with a brand new fluid change and Porsche brand fluid. The expensive kind.

Once warmed up, its butter.

I suspect this is simply the age ad condition of the syncros. The fact that the worse gear is 2nd and the next worst is 3rd, with 4-6 being fine, mostly confirms this.

So i suspect that you have old synchros. Match revs, be gentle and it will go many more years.

You could certainly change the fluid, but if you dont use the Porsche stuff, one side effect is WORSE cold shifting. Many track cars have Mobil Devlac for better gear protection, but dont rush them when cold.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Well...
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Thursday, 27 March, 2014, at 5:16:48 pm
That gearbox was like that when new and never really changed. Cold equals thick and yes cantankerous. My first winter with that car took some getting used to as I would regularly pop out of 2nd gear. Notice when you drop it into second, there is a two-stage feel to it. When ambient temps are say below 30 degrees, finding that second clunk takes a bit of effort to ensure you are in. Once warmed up, it was a beautiful thing.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Nice having a historian handy :-) *NM*
grant - Thursday, 27 March, 2014, at 10:27:22 pm
Grant

Re: Nice having an historian handy :-) *NM*
grant - Thursday, 27 March, 2014, at 10:29:39 pm
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login