Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Need help selecting tires for my RS 60
kmmalek - Monday, 31 March, 2014, at 10:40:32 am
A few days ago, I drove over some broken pavement (New England in the Spring) at an "unfavorable" angle resulting in a cut right front tire. The tires are still the original PS2 N1 tires; the car has less than 10K miles on it.
I'm willing to forego the N rating in order to get a set of Pilot Super Sports, given the rave reviews I've read about that tire. The problem is that I can't find a non-manufacturer-specific PSS in the rear size (265/35-19). TireRack only lists a Porsche N0 version and a Mercedes version in that size; no "generic" version.

Apparently, the N0 version is for the CGT, and it's backordered anyway. The Mercedes version is for the SLS. The Tirerack guy I spoke to recommended going to a 275/35 rear. That size is non-specific.

Of course, I can always spend $400 more and get a set of PS2 N2, a last generation tire.

What would you do?
The size differential for 275/35 is
grant - Monday, 31 March, 2014, at 11:46:41 am
10mm x .35 = 3.5mm = 3/25.4 = 1/8". Small. Its also within the range that the ABS/etc can adapt.

Super sports are a great tire.

PS2s are more forgiving.

have you chcked sizes on BFG g-force comp-2 (ro somesuch - ti a complicated name) - terrific and cheap (ish)?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: The size differential for 275/35 is
kmmalek - Monday, 31 March, 2014, at 12:45:01 pm
Thanks, Grant.

I'm not trying to save money; I just hate to pay a premium for a generation old product.

I did not know that the PS2 is more forgiving. All the comments I've read are about the PSS being quieter, smoother riding, and much better in the wet than the PS2.
they are still a good tire. I would have no problem running a new set of the original Pirelli tires that came on my 02 Boxster. The original set of tires were just fine. Switching to another brand (Michelin) for a number of years and then switching back to the original brand of tire the last set or two, and a 2nd or 3rd generation tire too boot, I can't tell any difference between the sets of tires.
..won't get N rated as is because it is more abrupt at break-away. Its more high strung. I have not noticed anything worng with them, but the PS2 and PS ribs were among the most gradual, progressive break-aways of any tires i've driven. Albeit lower grip.

I'd still buy them, but the PS2s do have redeeming qualities.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
..won't get N rated as is because it is more abrupt at break-away. Its more high strung. I have not noticed anything worng with them, but the PS2 and PS ribs were among the most gradual, progressive break-aways of any tires i've driven. Albeit lower grip.

I'd still buy them, but the PS2s do have redeeming qualities.

Grant

Thanks again. Very helpful.
Re: The size differential for 275/35 is
MikenOH - Monday, 31 March, 2014, at 1:29:17 pm
grant
10mm x .35 = 3.5mm = 3/25.4 = 1/8". Small. Its also within the range that the ABS/etc can adapt.

Super sports are a great tire.

PS2s are more forgiving.

have you chcked sizes on BFG g-force comp-2 (ro somesuch - ti a complicated name) - terrific and cheap (ish)?

Grant

The 245/275-35-19 sizes sound like a good alternative:
-Less money
-Slightly larger OD--it may improve the speedo's accuracy
-A bit wider, if that matters
-+ 2lbs./wheel heavier; not an improvement but I wouldn't think it would kill the deal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login