Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
In no particular order:

Is it true that my golf clubs with light weight carry bag will no longer fit in the trunk as it does in the 987? That could be a deal breaker in itself. Driving 45 minutes on a nice day in a Boxster with golf at the end of the trail is, at my age, one of the finer things in life. Then, after a s*&^ round, the ride home lifts my spirits.

Any opinions about a 991s vs. the Boxster GTS (besides a few more hp)?

The GTS comes with Aclantara. What's the deal with Alcantara vs. leather? Alcantara is cloth-like, right? So, it won't wear as well, right? That is, if I keep the car for 10 years, won't the Alcantara look older and more worn than leather?

Is there any reason to get more than the standard sound system? Has anyone purchased or heard the Burmester system? Can it really be worth anywhere near $6K? Or, is that just $5K in Porsche's pockets? There is Bose in my 987 and I can't say it is anything to brag about. I wonder if I'll be disappointed with the standard sound system. I can test that at the dealer.

And, the all important color question. I am leaning toward Rhodium Silver. How would that look with a blue top?

Anything else I should know or think about between 987, 991 and GTS models?

Thanks

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Bobtesa
In no particular order:

Is it true that my golf clubs with light weight carry bag will no longer fit in the trunk as it does in the 987? That could be a deal breaker in itself. Driving 45 minutes on a nice day in a Boxster with golf at the end of the trail is, at my age, one of the finer things in life. Then, after a s*&^ round, the ride home lifts my spirits.

Any opinions about a 991s vs. the Boxster GTS (besides a few more hp)?

The GTS comes with Aclantara. What's the deal with Alcantara vs. leather? Alcantara is cloth-like, right? So, it won't wear as well, right? That is, if I keep the car for 10 years, won't the Alcantara look older and more worn than leather?

Is there any reason to get more than the standard sound system? Has anyone purchased or heard the Burmester system? Can it really be worth anywhere near $6K? Or, is that just $5K in Porsche's pockets? There is Bose in my 987 and I can't say it is anything to brag about. I wonder if I'll be disappointed with the standard sound system. I can test that at the dealer.

And, the all important color question. I am leaning toward Rhodium Silver. How would that look with a blue top?

Anything else I should know or think about between 987, 991 and GTS models?

Thanks

I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

Golf clubs. There is a little less room, width wise, in the back trunk, but it is doable by removing driver and woods and place them separately. I'd suggest you try your golf bag/ clubs and see how well it fits.

Are you asking about 991S or 981S vs Boxster GTS? 991S cab would be a lot more $

981S vs Boxster GTS, GTS comes with a number of options packaged. You can actually order a 981S with most of the options you get with the GTS, in which case, the main difference is the different front and rear bumper cover and extra 15 HP. I tried optioning a GTS as close as possible to my car and basically, it ended up about $3K more you'd be paying for the different bumper covers and extra 15 HP.

Stereo. I believe the 981S comes with the upgraded sound system, 7 speakers, 235 watts, I believe (at least it does in Canada). It sounds OK to me. A convertible isn't really a great environment to listen to any stereo. Besides, my last Boxster had 63 K mi and the stereo about 3 K miles. smiling smiley I'd consider spending the money on the PSE instead. See if you can take one with PSE for a test drive. It's the best stereo system that Porsche offers. cool smiley

Colour is an individual preference. Rhodium silver has a touch of blue in it, so I think a blue top would look good with it. ....and of course, silver is THE Porsche colour (in my unbiased opinion). winking smiley
a few comments................
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 9:38:48 am
The 991 C2 is a better touring car. If you have never driven the 911, it is not the same as the Boxster or Cayman. Going from a Boxster to the 997 in '08, it took me a while to get used to the 997. The Cayman S is a better track car. For the options I wanted, the 991 C2 would cost about $15k - $20k more than the Cayman S . If you are getting the 18 way seats in the GTS, they weigh about 30 lbs each more than standard seats and you will give up half of the 15 hp gain in the GTS. Be sure to test drive each car. As I was told, buy the car you love the most.

My 2 cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 09:39AM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
Couldn't agree with Havey more...
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 1:06:43 pm
Harvey in FL
The 991 C2 is a better touring car. If you have never driven the 911, it is not the same as the Boxster or Cayman. Going from a Boxster to the 997 in '08, it took me a while to get used to the 997. The Cayman S is a better track car. For the options I wanted, the 991 C2 would cost about $15k - $20k more than the Cayman S . If you are getting the 18 way seats in the GTS, they weigh about 30 lbs each more than standard seats and you will give up half of the 15 hp gain in the GTS. Be sure to test drive each car. As I was told, buy the car you love the most.

My 2 cents.

Didn't realize the 18 way seats weighed THAT much more. Both my wife and I love the Sports Plus seats. Maybe our bodies just happen to fit these seats and we love them. Plus with all those motors to reset the 18 way seats. All stuff that can go wrong. Once you have the seats set the way you like them, how often do your change the seat adjustments after that anyway?

As Harvey said, buy the car you love the most. Each person has different features that are important to them and different levels of what they find comfortable. It's good to ask about opinions here and how this and that works. But before actually ordering or buying a car, I think it's REALLY important to drive a car or cars with the features you really want and see how YOU like them since you'll be driving and living with the car.

Make sure you take the car(s) on a route that takes you on the type of roads you normally drive. Nothing wrong with taking a 20 mile test drive. I did that a number of times to test different features - specially when it comes to handling. (I took cars with PASM and Sport Suspension on back to back test drives over the same roads with curves, smooth and rough surfaces before deciding which one I liked best.). Hey, it's also a nice way of spending a sunny evening or Saturday afternoon. smiling smiley

Good luck with your decision making. Can't wait to hear what you decide.
...Unless I can figure out how to afford a new Targa. I'd go for that in heart beat.
Bobtesa
...Unless I can figure out how to afford a new Targa. I'd go for that in heart beat.

You can't take your $$ with you. I was really thinking of getting the 991 GT3; but, what am I ever going to do with 400 or so hp. I am having so much fun doing track time at my controlled speed, why would I ever want to go lots faster and risk my life. Yes, I could get lessons from a pro; but, who needs it at my age. It's all about having fun driving while in a Porsche.
A few pics of my golf bag in the 981
MikenOH - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 11:55:41 am
This is an older Nike carry bag--35" high. If I pull out my 46"driver long, along with the 3&5 woods, and lay them along the rear of the trunk and leave out the 2&3 irons (which I can't hit anyway), the bag fits ok.

[i692.photobucket.com]
[i692.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 11:56AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Re: Thinking about going to 981s (from my 987s). A few questions
Laz - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 1:47:52 pm
Rhodium with a blue top seems like a great combination. I might've done that if the color was available. Visit a dealer to see if there are any Rhodiums on the lot (view it outside in natural light!) If there's a blue-topped car, so much the better. You might want to examine a blue interior, too; again in natural light. The Yachting Blue interior is a different, less-matched-to-the-blue-top hue than the earlier Metro Blue. If anything, the dealer might have a painted panel sample, etc. display. Unhook the piece and bring it to the showroom window, or even bring it around to blue-topped car.

Alcantara seems to be a form of artificial suede, and is used in racing applications like seats, steering wheel rims, and maybe dash tops. I imagine its advantages are grippiness and a lack of reflectivity. The downside might be visible wear; burnishing it to a smooth, somewhat shiny finish. It probably would be harder to keep clean.

The standard 981 sound system is 4 speakers, 25 Watts per channel. It's fine for me. I think there were misprints in early literature showing much higher Wattage and speaker numbers.

By the way, Bi Xenons are standard on the S, but that does not mean PDLS, (swiveling, speed-sensive focussing, even something to do with when the rear fog is on) which is an option.

I don't think the wipers are rain-sensitive, whether (ha!) standard or optional.
Good point about bringing car paint, material samples outside. I found the showroom lights made all the silvers look the same. Take them outside into the real world and they can look different.

Checked on the US website and the 981S and GTS both have Sound System plus - 7 speakers and 185 watts as standard. Again, those are only numbers. If you listen to it and are satisfied/happy with the sound, that's all that really counts.
Agreed--picking colors from chips is difficult enough, let alone under artificial lighting.
Nothing like seeing the actual shades on your car; I'd suggest checking the inventory of local dealers (within 100 miles?) just to see if anyone has a RS on their lot or inbound.The RS/blue/blue sounds like a great combo..
SS+ might be a new standard.
Laz - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 2:56:13 pm
I'm pretty sure mine has only four speakers. There are lots of "mesh-like" patterns on various panels and on the instrument pod cover, so I'll check again, once more putting an ear to panels, and shining light in to see if there are domes and/or cones elsewhere. The semi-confidential dealer document I got back when ordering specifies only 4 speakers/25Wpc, but between late finalizing of the released car and running changes, varied information has been out there. Even if I was supposed to get the other system, I never was inclined to pursue it with the dealer for a couple reasons: One, not to have the car tinkered with unnecessarily, and Two: like you, I'm an aficionado of "Symphony in Flat Six." 90% of the time I find the radio to be a distraction. Whatever my car has, it's adequate and better than the 986 standard system.
Re: SS+ might be a new standard.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 3:49:16 pm
I agree that the 2013 US specs did not mention the Stereo Plus for 981S. (Yes, I got to know that configurator petty darn well. smiling smiley )The Canadian specs did include it. It was a bit nebulous last year. Even my salesman had trouble finding out for sure.

I might have mentioned it before - the two "speakers" behind the seats actually transmit engine/exhaust sounds from the engine compartment, which is part of the reason the car sounds better with the top up than my 987 did.
Interesting. I'd assumed the behind seat grills for Bose, etc.
Laz - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 4:00:59 pm
So, they're Sound Symposers of sorts, without any active electronic components?
Laz
So, they're Sound Symposers of sorts, without any active electronic components?

That is correct, according to the tech that did the pre delivery inspection of my car.
Engine sound through rear speakers?
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 4:07:23 pm
Guenter, so somehow the rear speaker placement requires an opening of sorts from the cabin to the engine compartment that is not there is cars w/o rear speakers? I wonder if it is possible in non-rear speaker cars to great such an access and cover it with a screen for looks, to allow more engine sounds into the cabin.
Re: Engine sound through rear speakers?
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 6:58:16 pm
Bobtesa
Guenter, so somehow the rear speaker placement requires an opening of sorts from the cabin to the engine compartment that is not there is cars w/o rear speakers? I wonder if it is possible in non-rear speaker cars to great such an access and cover it with a screen for looks, to allow more engine sounds into the cabin.

Those are not speakers behind the seats. They're the end of the sound symposer. There are no electronics involved. Here's one explanation as to how a sound symposer works. Scroll down far enough to the section on the Porsche one. This article was written 2 years ago, so doesn't mention the one for the 981.

[www.caranddriver.com]
981 PSE vs. 987 PSE?
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 8:40:06 pm
I have PSE in my 2008s. I can't say it does all the much to enhance the symphony. Some, but no way $2,500 worth. Admittedly, it wails a bit better when kicking it from 5k to 7k rpms, but really not much difference below that. I test drove a 2014s yesterday w/o PSE and its sound at high rpms was not anything more thrilling than my 987 in non-PSE setting. Do we know for sure (I can ask my dealer) if these symposers are the 981s? Or are they just in 981s equipped with PSE?

So, my question is, is PSE with these "symposers" in 981s significant different in acoustics from PSE in 987s?

I need to get myself back to the dealer to test one. If the 981 with PSE sounds like a 991, then I might lean more towards a GTS.
Re: 981 PSE vs. 987 PSE?
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 2 April, 2014, at 9:06:23 pm
I believe all 981's have the sound symposer. The sound imposer is just there to enhance the sound, so it doesn't jump out at you. I doubt it makes much difference with the top down. The bigger difference is with the top up, allowing the engine sound in, while the road noise is filtered out.

I'd recommend you take out a Boxster with PSE. Try it in normal mode, then activate PSE, then try it with Sport mode on (button on console). It's 3 different sound levels.

Note: Sport mode will not activate until the engine is at operating temperature. So get it warmed up before you try to listen for the differences.

Also. When you engage Sport mode, it automatically engages PSE.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Great pics, Gary---a stunning combo.. *NM*
MikenOH - Thursday, 3 April, 2014, at 4:41:18 pm
Re: Rhodium/blue/blue-breathtaking; PSE-meh. That is NICE
Bobtesa - Thursday, 3 April, 2014, at 9:46:10 pm
Gary,

Goodness that looks nice. Thanks for posting the pic.

Would your roll bars have been black if you didn't match them to the car's exterior? I guess it is kind of a must with blue/blue to get the roll bars painted.

what is "meh"?

Bob
Yes. Roll bars are black, but they can be ordered painted either in aluminum look or matching body colour. I think on a light coloured Boxster, it really enhances the look of the car.
Yeah Bob...the roll bar would be a tacky black if they weren't painted, which as G-man says really enhances the lines of the car.

MEH is short for indifference, which is the way I feel about the PSE. At around $3K, it's another silly boy racer option IMHO. Most of the rumble is behind the car and in a 991 coupe it's even less obvious. It's the third, and last, time I pay for it.

I just rode in a new Cayman without PSE, and it sounded great! The aforementioned sound symposer further makes the PSE redundant. I guess if it's on a weekend Boxster, with the top down, it's a little better for carefree spins in the country with nothing better to do, but for a practical daily driver there are a lot better ways to spend three grand.

Yes,YMMV. smiling smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Roll bar paint, golf clubs, PSE
Bobtesa - Friday, 4 April, 2014, at 5:23:27 pm
I'll have to check out cars on the lot with black tops and interiors to see how a black roll bar looks. With a blue top / blue interior, black just wouldn't work, but I think with a black top/interior it should be fine.

I brought my driver to the dealer today and it easily fit into the truck. However, I was surprised at the loss of overall trunk space. I am now going to bring my whole bag and clubs to try them out. At first glance it looks like it might work by taking all of the clubs out of the bag, put the bag in (that might be a tight fit), then lay the clubs in next to the bag. That may sound like a lot of trouble, but most courses I play at are 30-50 minutes away and the combo ride and golf make for a nice day. A few extra minutes loading and unloading is no big deal.

Interesting to hear the Cayman sounded good w/o PSE. I test drove a BoxsterS w/o PSE and took it above 6k. I couldn't get anything more out of it sound-wise than my current BoxsterS with PSE off. While I have never been all that taken with the Boxster sound, even at high rpms, I can say there is one place it does wail away -- when I go through an underpass near my house in 2nd with the windows down, and hit it. I do it whenever I pass that way, it's a hoot to hear. Maybe the car sounds better from the outside than inside?

So, w/o PSE and maybe not having to pay for painted roll bars, maybe I can save a few bucks. I'll probably put it into sport suspension. I liked the MO30 in my 986.
Re: Roll bar paint, golf clubs, PSE
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 4 April, 2014, at 6:04:39 pm
Painting the roll bars is a matter of personal taste. I've found that it really looks good on light coloured cars, but doesn't really make much difference on darker colours. Maybe a dealer has two light coloured cars - one with painted, one w/o painted roll bars. If your computer allows you the 3D configurator, it's another pretty good way of comparing between the two options to see which you like best.

Sports suspension: If you want the best handling Boxster, I'd definitely recommend it. I love it on mine. On rough surfaces, it's about as compliant as my 06 Boxster was. But in corners, it just handles and feels a lot better.

If you like driving through tunnels, here you go.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login