Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
(Warning: NSFW with the volume turned up)

[www.facebook.com]
Re: NPC: Trooper sends message to left-lane hog...
Parrot356 - Wednesday, 9 April, 2014, at 11:00:26 pm
That was awesome. Just wish I could have seen the driver's face when the lights went on and off.
Re: NPC: Trooper sends message to left-lane hog...
MikenOH - Thursday, 10 April, 2014, at 8:00:19 am
That is what we need on the stretch of I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland;it's amazing how many people-- a lot driving hybrids of all brands-- camp out in the left lane at 65-70 mph and will not move over for anyone.
MikenOH
That is what we need on the stretch of I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland;it's amazing how many people-- a lot driving hybrids of all brands-- camp out in the left lane at 65-70 mph and will not move over for anyone.

What amazes me is how much those people get around, considering the speed (or lack there of) they're driving. We have those same drivers here on the 401, saw them on I-79 and I think all got to Florida ahead of me. (No idea how they got there ahead of me.)

It seems to have gotten to the point that if you want to make good time, just take the empty lane on the right. I don't like passing in peoples' blind spot, but nobody seems to want to be in that lane. Go figure.

it sure would remove a source of frustration if people used lane discipline.
Kudos to the trooper
Boxsterra - Thursday, 10 April, 2014, at 9:29:41 am
But to be fair, tailgating is dangerous.
Re: Kudos to the trooper
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 10 April, 2014, at 10:08:17 am
Boxsterra
But to be fair, tailgating is dangerous.

I was thinking the same thing. ....but then I was thinking with many of these creeping left lane hogs, they obviously aren't using their rear view mirrors (not for driving anyway) and might not be able to hear the trooper's siren if he was any further back. winking smiley
Re: Kudos to the trooper
MikenOH - Thursday, 10 April, 2014, at 10:12:19 am
Without a doubt, tailgating can be dangerous; having said that--camping out in the left lane at the speed limit or less isn't exactly what I would call safe driving.
I guess if you truly believe the person 2' off your rear bumper--the one shaking their fist and blinking their lights-- isn't going going to cause you any physical harm, you can just motor on and not worry about anything. However, with all the road-rage incidents that are in the news lately, I would not want to find out .
I have come to believe that some people drive in the left lane for any number of reasons that may make sense to them, but not to others. I have pretty much accepted that not all drivers drive as I wish they would drive. Having said that, a few comments and thoughts:

Sure, we all know "what the left lane is for", but
There is certainly nothing illegal about driving at the posted speed limit in the left lane.
There is nothing in the traffic code that I know of that says driving over the speed limit in the left lane is legal.
Letting faster cars drive in the left lane is part of the courteous driving I learned in high school drivers ed (looong time ago), but drivers ed has been removed from the curriculum in our public schools.

As civilian drivers, we drive however we want and pay the consequences if we get pulled over. Hopefully, we don't hurt others in the process of whatever spirited driving we do. But, there is absolutely no reason for a person responsible for public safety, police, to tailgate anyone at any speed on any road. If they want to give a warning, a ticket, or even a little driver ed advice, they can put on their lights and/or siren, pull a driver over, and to what they can lawfully do.

Don't think I'm a Pollyanna driver. I don't know what police are allowed to do while driving w/o lights and/or sirens, but what I have seen in the past few years is pretty amazing. And, I have taken advantage of it. On a number of occasions, I have followed speeding police w/o lights on or sirens (always in the left lane) from about 100 yards back as they tailgate car after car to make them move over (each time w/o lights). On one occasion I followed a cop car at 90 mph on a 55 mph highway for about 5 miles. My thinking for the the judge is that the policeman/woman must have thought the conditions warranted 90 as a safe speed. I do wonder if it is legal for police to grossly exceed the speed limit without letting other drivings know of a car approaching at such high speed. Isn't that what the lights and sirens are for?

The driving we wish we could do on the road is what DE is for. Again, no Pollyanna here, there are two places that I take my Boxster to 120, but these are very specific locations where no one is in danger but myself. And also where I have serious doubts that there will be a speed trap. The bottom line in all of this safety, and what is depicted in the video is not safe.
Here is what the state law is--if the website is current
MikenOH - Thursday, 10 April, 2014, at 12:56:42 pm
Bobtesa
I have come to believe that some people drive in the left lane for any number of reasons that may make sense to them, but not to others. I have pretty much accepted that not all drivers drive as I wish they would drive. Having said that, a few comments and thoughts:

Sure, we all know "what the left lane is for", but
There is certainly nothing illegal about driving at the posted speed limit in the left lane.
There is nothing in the traffic code that I know of that says driving over the speed limit in the left lane is legal.
Letting faster cars drive in the left lane is part of the courteous driving I learned in high school drivers ed (looong time ago), but drivers ed has been removed from the curriculum in our public schools.
[www.mit.edu]

6 states allow cruising in the left lane (mostly) and OH, in the wisdom of the state legislators, is one of them. 10 have specific laws prohibiting it and the balance have it as somewhere in between.
As I see it, if the intent is to ensure an orderly flow of traffic and avoid unnecessary lanes changes--especially at highway speeds-- which can result in accidents--it seems to make sense to have those laws in place to keep people out of the left lane unless they are passing.
The FL listing has a caption including some info regarding former Governor Bush:
"Governor Bush vetoed 2005 SB732, which would have reserved the left lane for passing, saying that drivers blocking the left lane are "cautious and careful." eye rolling smiley

As civilian drivers, we drive however we want and pay the consequences if we get pulled over. Hopefully, we don't hurt others in the process of whatever spirited driving we do. But, there is absolutely no reason for a person responsible for public safety, police, to tailgate anyone at any speed on any road. If they want to give a warning, a ticket, or even a little driver ed advice, they can put on their lights and/or siren, pull a driver over, and to what they can lawfully do.

Don't think I'm a Pollyanna driver. I don't know what police are allowed to do while driving w/o lights and/or sirens, but what I have seen in the past few years is pretty amazing. And, I have taken advantage of it. On a number of occasions, I have followed speeding police w/o lights on or sirens (always in the left lane) from about 100 yards back as they tailgate car after car to make them move over (each time w/o lights). On one occasion I followed a cop car at 90 mph on a 55 mph highway for about 5 miles. My thinking for the the judge is that the policeman/woman must have thought the conditions warranted 90 as a safe speed. I do wonder if it is legal for police to grossly exceed the speed limit without letting other drivings know of a car approaching at such high speed. Isn't that what the lights and sirens are for?

The driving we wish we could do on the road is what DE is for. Again, no Pollyanna here, there are two places that I take my Boxster to 120, but these are very specific locations where no one is in danger but myself. And also where I have serious doubts that there will be a speed trap. The bottom line in all of this safety, and what is depicted in the video is not safe.
At least then, people travelling though different states would know what they're expected to do.

When I drive to BRBS, I drive through 5 different states. Driving to Florida puts me through 8 different states. You need a chart to remember the different laws for the different states.

At least red means stop and green means stop in all of them.

And of course, it's not just limited to US states. Same goes for Canadian provinces.
Guenter in Ontario
At least then, people travelling though different states would know what they're expected to do.

When I drive to BRBS, I drive through 5 different states. Driving to Florida puts me through 8 different states. You need a chart to remember the different laws for the different states.

At least red means stop and green means stop in all of them.

And of course, it's not just limited to US states. Same goes for Canadian provinces.

Nice idea, but then you get into that whole argument of states rights vs. the Feds and you know how that goes. It would be nice to have something uniform on Interstates given the speeds involved.
Recently Ohio changed the speeds limits on some roads to 70 mph from 65; that means the typical traffic speed is closer to 75 with the flyers going 80+. On Friday nights, traffic headed north to Cleveland from Columbus is very heavy, with typical traffic speed close to 80; things get pretty wild with lane changes when that left lane is plugged with a cruiser...
State by state idea
Laz - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 9:02:46 am
Perhaps each state, depending on its "color" should have vehicles go on red; not stop.
Re: State by state idea
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, at 10:17:47 am
Laz
Perhaps each state, depending on its "color" should have vehicles go on red; not stop.

According to my observations, some drivers already use this system at traffic lights of their choice.
Red light green light during the Cultural Revolution in China
Laz - Saturday, 12 April, 2014, at 11:56:51 am
Read the last paragraph of the "Stop and go" section:
[en.wikipedia.org]
Correction, it IS illegal to drive at the speed limit, below the speed limit, or above the speed limit in the left hand(passing lane) if you are impeding traffic behind you unneccessarily. And while i can't condone the actions of this particular state trooper for giving the Honda driver a little wake up in such a manner, he was addressing an unsafe practice that is too common on our multi-lane expressways. This creates congestion, faster vehicles passing on the right, and needless frustration.

90% of these offenders know what they are doing. They may act oblivious, but they know. It's too bad that, in spite of the majority of states having laws regarding this violation, there isn't enough enforcement.

Also, troopers do receive high level driver training and probably get about 75,000 miles experience with every year of work.
silverbox03
Correction, it IS illegal to drive at the speed limit, below the speed limit, or above the speed limit in the left hand(passing lane) if you are impeding traffic behind you unneccessarily. And while i can't condone the actions of this particular state trooper for giving the Honda driver a little wake up in such a manner, he was addressing an unsafe practice that is too common on our multi-lane expressways. This creates congestion, faster vehicles passing on the right, and needless frustration.

90% of these offenders know what they are doing. They may act oblivious, but they know. It's too bad that, in spite of the majority of states having laws regarding this violation, there isn't enough enforcement.

Also, troopers do receive high level driver training and probably get about 75,000 miles experience with every year of work.

As MikenOH showed with his link. It all depends on which state that you're in as to what's legal in the use of the left lane. That makes it a challenge when you drive through a number of different states.

Where did you get the statistic that 90% of offenders know what they're doing? What that suggests is that 9 out of 10 drivers who hog the left lane, drive onto the interstate with the intent of driving directly to the left lane in order to impeding traffic. From my observation, there are a lot of people who really don't know what they're doing when they're behind the wheel. They're in their own little world and haven't got a clue as to what's going on around them. That's why governments want cars more and more automated so drivers don't have to think.
"so drivers don't have to think"
Roger987 - Thursday, 10 April, 2014, at 5:27:20 pm
You're close, Guenter.

To be more precise, "because driver's AREN'T thinking ... about driving".

Driving is something that simply occurs while they're in their car, doing something (anything and everything) else.

Unfortunately, those of us who take our driving seriously are becoming an aberration. Hence, all the new save-the-driver-from-himself technology.

Reminds me a bit of Bruce Cockburn's "If I had a Rocket Launcher" (though his song has nothing to do with bad driving).

[www.youtube.com]
Guenter in Ontario
silverbox03

As MikenOH showed with his link. It all depends on which state that you're in as to what's legal in the use of the left lane. That makes it a challenge when you drive through a number of different states.

Where did you get the statistic that 90% of offenders know what they're doing? What that suggests is that 9 out of 10 drivers who hog the left lane, drive onto the interstate with the intent of driving directly to the left lane in order to impeding traffic. From my observation, there are a lot of people who really don't know what they're doing when they're behind the wheel. They're in their own little world and haven't got a clue as to what's going on around them. That's why governments want cars more and more automated so drivers don't have to think.

Spot on!
Unfortunately, not many states have a "no left lane driving slow" law, including Ohio. A law specifying "no impeding the flow of traffic" probably wouldn't apply if the offender was driving at the posted speed limit.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login