Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Auto Climate Control VS Std Climate control
BLKBOXS - Saturday, 12 April, 2014, at 5:20:27 pm
I own a 987S with the std Climate control with PCM...if that matters?. Can I upgrade to the auto climate control by switching the units...or are there ECU changes that need to be done?

Has anyone done this?

I have this one: (pic from the web)

I would like this one: (pic from the web)

Thanks
Mike

MIKELLIG
I'm not certain, but ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 12 April, 2014, at 6:14:32 pm
... my guess is that it can be done but you'll have to reprogram.
The 987 is all CAN bus dominated.
A PIWIS will most likely be needed.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
and other hardware, like wiring harness. Then there is the removal of the existing unit and the installation of the new unit. I do not know if the ECU needs to be programmed. My WAG is it doesn't. The smarts are in the auto climate control unit's electronic control and its population of sensors and servos.

Before I even did this I'd spend some time with a tech though I suspect not one has done this conversion. Maybe he could contact the factory and learn something about this switch over. Anyhow, I'd see what I could learn about it before undertaking it, before even spending any money on it.

Frankly, while I love my auto climate system in my Boxster and Turbo -- neither one looks like the picture you posted -- I'd think twice (make that three times) about trying to add auto climate heater/AC system to a car that came with the manual heater/AC system.
Re: Auto Climate Control VS Std Climate control
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 12 April, 2014, at 11:26:07 pm
Mike, I had the manual climate control unit on my 987 replaced under warranty when the paint started flaking off the controls. I believe the cost of the unit was in the $900 range according to the service manager. I'm sure the auto unit would be quite a bit more.

As Marc said, you'd also need sensors for interior temps and servos that control warm / cold air flap(s) and fan speed.

Might only be a few dollars more to order that GTS you've been playing with on the configurator. It has auto climate as standard. With the money you save, you might even be able to afford the PDK you want. winking smiley
BLKBOXS - Sunday, 13 April, 2014, at 8:23:00 am
Thanks Men,

I didn't think it would be as easy as swapping out the units. In time I will swap out the unit for the same as the paint is starting to scratch off ?

They sell the unit at Suncoast for ~ 500$

I do like the option of the "GTS" suggestion...however better yet Guenter, I am going to wait for the 2018 "Black Edition" Boxster with a flat 8 boasting ludicrous power grinning smiley

Mike

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
Thanks Men,

I didn't think it would be as easy as swapping out the units. In time I will swap out the unit for the same as the paint is starting to scratch off ?

They sell the unit at Suncoast for ~ 500$

I do like the option of the "GTS" suggestion...however better yet Guenter, I am going to wait for the 2018 "Black Edition" Boxster with a flat 8 boasting ludicrous power grinning smiley

Mike

The finish seems to come off on the Temp and Fan controls. I didn't have a problem with any of the other switches. This was what mine looked like after about 3.5 years.

I doubt you'll see a flat 8 in the future. More likely, to save even more gas, it will be a flat 2 double turbo, 500 hp and double the size of the rear trunk.
db997S - Monday, 14 April, 2014, at 2:45:43 pm
Wonder if those sensors are in every car? With my '98 Boxster, I did not opt for the On Board Computer option, which included outside temp. You could have your dealer activate the outside temp feature of the OBC because every car came with the outside temp senor, even though you did not opt for the OBC option.
db997S
Wonder if those sensors are in every car? With my '98 Boxster, I did not opt for the On Board Computer option, which included outside temp. You could have your dealer activate the outside temp feature of the OBC because every car came with the outside temp senor, even though you did not opt for the OBC option.

I think the exterior temp sensor is needed to feed info to the ECU in controlling optimum fuel air mixture for the engine, so all cars needed that sensor. I don't think the interior temp sensor would be needed for anything other than to regulate interior temperatures with the auto climate control.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login