Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
water in cowl
imtonyd - Monday, 14 April, 2014, at 12:43:15 am
My 2007 Boxster had an issue with water entering the footwell on the passenger side. Thanks to forums like this I was able to resolve the issue by unplugging 2 drainage holes. One under the convertible top and the other in the cowl area where the battery is located. In this area it seems that the rain water is designed to flow from the base of the windshield and through the openings of the cowl panel where the windshield wiper linkage connect to the windshield wiper arms. The water is allowed to pass through these holes and drip onto wiring and beside the battery and other electrical components in the cowl.
Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a seal where the windshield wiper linkage protrudes through this opening at the cowl panel. Or is the cowl area actually supposed to act as a trough to collect the water and then escape through the 3 drainage holes in the cowl area?
I thank you in advance for any information.
Imtonyd
tube, at least this is the case for my two cars. It would appear this is intended to keep water from flowing into the hole. Instead the water is able to flow a few inches to a depression or chute/channel in the plastic cover and then on into the catch basin under the front trunk lid.

The driver's side wiper shaft is like this with a drain depression at the left most end of the cover. The other wiper shaft hole is similar and there is a drain hole in the plastic through water can flow into the center catch basin. And at the far end there is a water drain chute that directs the water flow to the passenger side catch basin.

I note there is some kind of rubber seal where this plastic cover contacts the base of the windshield. It is lifted up a bit at both ends, for a few inches. I do not know if this allows water where it shouldn't be. I have never had a problem with water or even dampness in the cabin or anywhere else for that matter.

This cover is rather new on my car. The old one, the original one, cracked -- from age -- and I had it replaced.

If you have the front lid open and the covers over the battery and on either side removed and pour some water on the windshield and observe water running down on to wiring and wiper linkage, etc., this I think is wrong and suggests the cover is not installed properly or perhaps has cracked and is no longer able to keep water flowing through those chutes/channels like it should.

Thanks MarcW
This is a photo of the base of my drivers side wiper. The arrow is pointing to the opening where the water is entering the cowl area. If you look closely you can see my wiper linkage below the cowl panel. Do your cars have a cover or a seal to block the water from entering the cowl in this spot?
Thanks again for the info
but later today if time permits I'll remove the panels that cover the battery and the drain basins and take a look, snap some pics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login